Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Anybody want to talk about fishing? A place for surf tips..

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
likeitreallyis

posted 06/15/2007 09:32 AM  

for what it's worth. enjoy up

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

This post edited by likeitreallyis 08:41 PM 07/31/2011

Ed The Red

posted 06/15/2007 10:13 AM  

I'll jump in.

I have found that two or three days after the full or new moon to be the best for me. (over the years and if it is overcast for the full moon)

I have caught more quality bass on bucktails then any other lure. (I do not fish bait, so take that into account)

Eels ( they are not bait, they are live plugs) are very good for large.

KEEP A LOG!!!

Teasers work. They are almost an essential in the "dog days"

Speaking of bucktails; White is good. Black is good at night! Chartreuse is good. The hooks on Spro's are not good. Pork rind is good, curly tails are good, Bass Assassin Eel Assassins are good.

Tsunami shads are WAY better then Storms.

Bombers should be in everyones bag.

More specific? send me a PM

Tight lines

ED

likeitreallyis - Good thread good idea!!

I'd rather be fishing!

likeitreallyis

posted 06/15/2007 10:43 AM  

This post edited by likeitreallyis 08:42 PM 07/31/2011

Requiembmx

posted 06/15/2007 01:05 PM  

Never go surfcasting without a bunker snag and big hooks. I recommend large circles (Mustad Demon's 10/0-black) to a 20" heavy leader (80, 100lb. clear Ande) with a swivel (SPRO 130lb.). Snell the hooks. When you snag a bunker impale it behind the dorsal fin with the hook, unsnap your bunker snag from the main pluggin' leader and snap on the hook and bunker. Swim it around. If theres fish and you do not get a bite in short order reel it in and cut or rip off the top half of its tail. Swim it again.

blasko

posted 06/15/2007 07:41 PM  

I like bucktails in fast moving water inlets, around bridges etc. Work them slow and low. Cast upcurrent and keep the slack out of your line.

On the open beach look for structure. Don't know what structure is? if daytime look for surfers. Go to either side of the waves they ride. I you catch one release quickly as they tend to spoil quickly.
Try working tins and plugs around the cuts on the side of the bar. If the wind is at your face and you can't cast its good. Try something that cuts wind lead or a plug like a darter will cut and dig into the chop.

I read alot of match the hatch advise which is great but what if your out at night or its blowin 25 and you can't find anything to match? My goto if i'm working an area cold or haven't been trackin bait is a white bucktail red rind. Fish go for it regardless of what they feeding on except maybe rain bait. Even if you don't hook up you will probably get a strike or two and you should be able to adjust your presentation accordingly.

As far as bait is concerned when I used to chunk I would use a 7/0 or larger on a 3' 50lb leader w/fish finder rig. Don't put your rod down or you will miss quite a few pick ups. Sometimes the resistance of the clicker alone is enough to disuade them. Hold it in free spool and let them take a nice run before your cross their eyes. I wouldn't bother with anything frozen. If you can't buy fresh, try getting porgies from the fish store or clam up a sea robin or a blue fish. Any of those chunks work well as long as they are fresh. I've caught bass on all of them. I don't care for tossing clams as I can never keep them on the hook. (I actually get a kick out of watching guys tryin to cast clams).

Try to find bait and track it to areas bass would hold. Moving water w/deep holes man made structures inlets,rocky areas. That is the best part to me is finding the bait in an area w/fast deep water. I the winter when I can't sleep I drive around and scout new locations for access and structure. I make notes in my hagstrom about the areas and write cheat sheets w/ quick directions. I carry a 6' spinner to probe depth and structure.

If all else fails,

try a storm shad. they will work even in the Koi ponds and the Japanase restaurants(Excellent winter fishing by the way-I'm banned from Petco)

likeitreallyis

posted 06/15/2007 10:40 PM  

Blasko

Great stuff there up

bill123

posted 06/15/2007 11:02 PM  

FOR ME ITS ALL ABOUT WIND DIRECTION, EVERY TIME I CATCH A FISH I ALWAYS LOG THE WIND DIRECTION FOR THAT SPOT

robb2140

posted 06/16/2007 05:26 AM  

Thanks guys, this thread is more informative than the last 3 years worth of reports. Keep em'coming!!!

Ed The Red

posted 06/16/2007 09:55 AM  

Few more thoughts.

SS Darters are the best out of the package darter on the market.

Yo-Zuri Mag darters: Change the tail hook to a dressed Siwash and catch way more fish.

I am now convinced that Smelly Jelly does indeed work.

Fan cast when ever you can. When fishing a spot that has any kind of sweep, make sure to vary the distance of your casts. (you want your plug to sweep over different spots in the rip/structure.)

One of the people that taught me way back when said: "Your more likely to cast too far then not far enough." Over the years I've found that to be true more often then not, especially at night.

Tight Lines

I'd rather be fishing!

Requiembmx

posted 06/16/2007 10:31 AM  

If you intend to plug fish over schoolie size switch all hooks to VMC 4x.

tiderunner70

posted 06/16/2007 11:03 AM  

put your time in scouting the areas you want to fish during the daylight hours at low tide. this way u can read the structure you will be fishing much easier. trust me its much easier than reading a new area at night. after a while you will know how to fish your favorite areas with your eyes closed. also go during different weather conditions and see how your structure reacts to all of the different currents and winds. before u even step foot in the water do some search casting first. the fish may be holding right at your feet even with no visible surface activity. step in on them and you will have your work cut out for you to try and catch them. all too often there are fish between the first trough and your feet. i search with a pt jude tin butterfish at times to cover some water and or a bucktail. if nothing bites i switch to a surface swimmer such as a jnski peanut tuned to swim between 1-3' deep. pencil poppers are great to search with as well. on the calm days in shall water you can't beat a nice quality custom popper. you can't beat teh feeling of catching a cow on the surface. matching the hatch has already been mentioned which is great but more importantly use colors on your lures that work in the water clarity and lighting conditions you are in. chartreuse is one amazing color that is a great all around color. extremely easy for them to see in all conditions. for one example an area i was fishing on the open beach last year was full of herring. so i was throwing herring colored plugs to no avail. there were some bait and waiters there as well catching schoolies here and there. i switched to a parrot colored peanut swimmer and bam almost every cast for atleast 1 hour or so fish on. switched back to herring in the middle to catch nothing. when the tough gets tough teasers are infact a great way to go. i tend to use red gills or eddystones.

no barrel swivels. tie directly with an alberto knot. the only thing a swivel is good for in my book is picking up more weed and grass.

darters in the rips are like candy during the day but i highly prefer a bucktail in the rips at night.

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

tiderunner70

posted 06/16/2007 11:07 AM  

with all of the bunker in the areas these days you must have atleast 1 or 2 beachmaster atom jr's in your arsenal. they work great in all conditions. and are highly proven landing cows. just work them fast enough to feel the action in your rod tip. don't forget a nice leader incase those toothy critters are around. it always hurts losing a quality plug.

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

blasko

posted 06/16/2007 12:11 PM  

For all you pro report guys here's something you can do w/ yesterdays info or even last week. Lets say you chunk field 6 and your read last week's surf report that someone weighed in a 20 or 30 from that area. Look back at when they did it. It was tuesday night you say? Okay what happen weather wise was is raining? blowing SW? Meteor shower? Lunar eclipse? what was the moon phase? Put together these details and then figure the tide. was high at 1130p? so you can figure working 2 hrs either side of that maybe. Try to add up the info for your own applications and if you get skunked then try to deduce why. Was the water brown/weedy? were you of the structure? Its fun putting it all together-especially when it produces. Almost makes me want to chunk.

Ed The Red

posted 06/17/2007 09:55 AM  

robb2140 wrote:

Thanks guys, this thread is more informative than the last 3 years worth of reports. Keep em'coming!!!

This is what this site should be about! I put up a couple of tips, as did Blasko, tiderunner, likeitreallyis, etc. COME ON GUYS lets add some info to the most relevent post to come along in a while!!

I'd rather be fishing!

This post edited by Ed The Red 09:56 AM 06/17/2007

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.