Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics



Teaser Rig for Stripers

Page  1, 2  Next


  Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
Author Message
fishkidsb


Joined: 07/01/2008
Posts: 1661
Location: Town
 posted 07/28/2010 11:08 AM  

I am trying to develop a teaser surf rig to be used mainly for stipers. I have tried many lenghts, many teaser lengths, different hooks, and I have tested it mainly with small blues.

I am wondering if you can share your thoughts experiences on what are the ideal dimensions, type of line used, teaser length, other details to optimize it for big bass. I am trying to reduce the teaser drag coefficient to minimum, in order to maximize casting distance.

My current rig is shown below.



 
RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member


Moderator
Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

Joined: 10/07/2001
Posts: 4687
Location: Chesapeake
 posted 07/28/2010 11:17 AM  

looks about right to me,....

I say fish itWink


Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.
 
fishkidsb


Joined: 07/01/2008
Posts: 1661
Location: Town
 posted 07/28/2010 11:29 AM  

Dimensions

I forgot to add dimensions:

Total length = 42"

Teaser: Hook to main leader = 10"
Main Line to Teaser = 18"
Teaser to lure = 24"

Has anyone tried adding a small weight to make the teaser float under the line?


 
chunkster


Joined: 05/06/2009
Posts: 4597
Location: Password
 posted 07/28/2010 11:31 AM  

NICE WORK

I always determine my leader length by my rod length
when tying. I always like the lure to fall some where
by the area where my rod loads properly and have it
where the knot or swivel has room, not to be near the
tip top guide. My preference is the second guide from
the tip. The teaser also looks like a great presentation.
To be honest with you, after looking at yours. I should
be asking you.Smile


New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!
 
Ed The Red


Joined: 08/22/2001
Posts: 429
Location: Patchogue & New York City
 posted 07/28/2010 11:49 AM  

fishkidsb wrote:

to optimize it for big bass.


If you want to optimize for big bass then I would suggest you tie your teaser to the same swivel you use for your main leader using a separate improved clinch knot. Stronger connection than the loop you are using.
I use 36" to 44" leaders (depending on rod and area I'm fishing) and use about 8" of leader for the teaser.



I'd rather be fishing!
 
fishkidsb


Joined: 07/01/2008
Posts: 1661
Location: Town
 posted 07/28/2010 05:13 PM  

Tangles

Ed The Red wrote:

fishkidsb wrote:

to optimize it for big bass.


If you want to optimize for big bass then I would suggest you tie your teaser to the same swivel you use for your main leader using a separate improved clinch knot. Stronger connection than the loop you are using.
I use 36" to 44" leaders (depending on rod and area I'm fishing) and use about 8" of leader for the teaser.



I have tried it, but I keep getting the teaser tangled up with the main line?? I use a hollow light teaser and I add my own hook with 2 beads.

Thanks
Joe


 
Ed The Red


Joined: 08/22/2001
Posts: 429
Location: Patchogue & New York City
 posted 07/28/2010 05:56 PM  

fishkidsb wrote:

Ed The Red wrote:

fishkidsb wrote:

to optimize it for big bass.


If you want to optimize for big bass then I would suggest you tie your teaser to the same swivel you use for your main leader using a separate improved clinch knot. Stronger connection than the loop you are using.
I use 36" to 44" leaders (depending on rod and area I'm fishing) and use about 8" of leader for the teaser.



I have tried it, but I keep getting the teaser tangled up with the main line?? I use a hollow light teaser and I add my own hook with 2 beads.

Thanks
Joe



I use Ande mono for my main leaders. When I add a teaser the leader for the teaser is flourocarbon leader material. Being a bit stiffer, it will stand away from the main leader and rarely tangle.



I'd rather be fishing!
 
chunkster


Joined: 05/06/2009
Posts: 4597
Location: Password
 posted 07/28/2010 06:17 PM  

teaser rig for stripers.

I agree with Ed The Red.
Ed The Red wrote:

I would suggest you tie your teaser to the same swivel you use for your main leader using a separate improved clinch knot.


For schooly's the rig is excellent. If you get A
big fish on the teaser. The knot is going to break
on either the knot or split the loop. If he's darting
from side to side or whipping his head around. He's as
good as gone with the dropper loop. Let me give you an
example from my experiences. I've caught my fare share
of bass on lures. I'm also going to be very honest with
you. Never have I got one over 28". When I target big
fish I like to use bait. While targeting bass over 10 #
Which is probably A 30" fish. I've experimented with A
number of rigs. There's one rig that guys swear buy.
It's called A sinker first rig. The rig consists of A
sinker on bottom and hook attached above. When I first
started fishing this rig I noticed that at times the
fish were breaking off at where I said previously. That's
when I changed to A 3x3 rig. Then eventually had heli-
coptering problems and added A clip, made it A clip down
rig. Finally tweeking out the rig to be A clip down pulley
rig for A really great dead sticking rig. I only put these
rigs together for certain applications. I'd say 80% of the
time I'm using A fish finder rig. You kind of see where I'm
getting at. You have to find A way to fish the teaser attached
to the swivel with A clinch. It makes the difference. Hopefully
Ed The Red or someone else can assist with the tangling problem.
If they didn't allready. You're big fish rig to me it seems 95%
there.


New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!


This post edited by chunkster 06:33 PM 07/28/2010
 
fishkidsb


Joined: 07/01/2008
Posts: 1661
Location: Town
 posted 07/28/2010 08:42 PM  

I will try all your suggestions

I use 40lb fluro all around. I will try using a shorter teaser line and maybe I should switch to a heavier teaser? Do you weight it or you prefer to have it float above the trailing lure? Also, what type of hooks worked best for you?


 
Ed The Red


Joined: 08/22/2001
Posts: 429
Location: Patchogue & New York City
 posted 07/28/2010 09:08 PM  

fishkidsb wrote:

I use 40lb fluro all around. I will try using a shorter teaser line and maybe I should switch to a heavier teaser? Do you weight it or you prefer to have it float above the trailing lure? Also, what type of hooks worked best for you?


I have found needle nose squid hoochies to be VERY productive as teasers. I rig them on 3/0 or 4/0 O'Shaughnessy hooks.






I'd rather be fishing!
 
chunkster


Joined: 05/06/2009
Posts: 4597
Location: Password
 posted 07/28/2010 09:17 PM  

Now we're cooking with gas.

Thank you Ed The Red. I also benefited
from this post.


New England clam chowder.
YEAH?
With mushrooms.
COME IN!
 
JAYBASS


Joined: 04/08/2009
Posts: 9134
Location: IN THE WASH!!!!!!
 posted 07/28/2010 09:23 PM  

I think I learn at least one thing from every thread in this forum.up


2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...
 
killatoyota4569


Joined: 06/19/2008
Posts: 1685
Location: Farmingdale, Ny
 posted 07/28/2010 09:37 PM  

There you are Jay. Good Reading for you...

Great job on the Rig. This is how I tie myne But this is for A back bay setup. Like Red said the Knot will slip and you will lose the Fish. Already happened to me many times. Sometimes the blues hit and destroy it or even take it.

Also depending on what plug you throw, there are many items you can use for a Teaser.


-- Report Chasing is a Crime --
-- Surf Junkie 4 Life --
 
fishkidsb


Joined: 07/01/2008
Posts: 1661
Location: Town
 posted 07/29/2010 06:35 AM  

Weight?

killatoyota4569 wrote:

There you are Jay. Good Reading for you...

Great job on the Rig. This is how I tie myne But this is for A back bay setup. Like Red said the Knot will slip and you will lose the Fish. Already happened to me many times. Sometimes the blues hit and destroy it or even take it.

Also depending on what plug you throw, there are many items you can use for a Teaser.



Has anyone had success weighting the teaser with a light weight, or is it better to float it on top of the trailer?

For my blue fish testers it worked either way, but bass need a more precise presentation so I wonder?




This post edited by fishkidsb 06:37 AM 07/29/2010
 
killatoyota4569


Joined: 06/19/2008
Posts: 1685
Location: Farmingdale, Ny
 posted 07/29/2010 10:30 AM  

fishkidsb wrote:

killatoyota4569 wrote:

There you are Jay. Good Reading for you...

Great job on the Rig. This is how I tie myne But this is for A back bay setup. Like Red said the Knot will slip and you will lose the Fish. Already happened to me many times. Sometimes the blues hit and destroy it or even take it.

Also depending on what plug you throw, there are many items you can use for a Teaser.



Has anyone had success weighting the teaser with a light weight, or is it better to float it on top of the trailer?

For my blue fish testers it worked either way, but bass need a more precise presentation so I wonder?




I would think you dont want to add too much weight.. You want it higher than the plug and I would think you would want it to have its natrual movement. But hey why not try it right?? Like they say, wont know until you try it. Roll


-- Report Chasing is a Crime --
-- Surf Junkie 4 Life --
 
  Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  




2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.