Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

trailering

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
rich5118

posted 09/21/2013 10:04 AM  

we want to start trailering our boat next year , just to follow the fish from GSB to shinnicock and pt jeff to greenport. can you advise us where we can put the boat in and the charges in these different ports

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 09/21/2013 11:20 AM  

Which town are you a resident of? If you're in Brookhaven, you are in luck because you can fish the North and South Shores with your resident ramp permit. Brookhaven has ramps in Stony Brook, Port Jeff, Mt. Sinai, Moriches, Bellport, Patchogue, and Blue Point.

Then with the State Empire Pass you can use the ramps in Captree, Hecksher and Nissaquogue State Parks.

The DEC has FREE ramps for use in Oyster Bay and Mattituck and a new one coming on the Peconic Bay near Greenport very soon.

Suffolk County has a ramp at Smith's Point that is $25 for the season for County residents.

You can buy the Riverhead Jamesport Ramp permit for only 10 for a non-resident (I think is what is cost last time I got it) but you don't need it after the summer holiday.

Shinnecock you need to get the Ponquogue Bridge permit from Southampton which is about $75 for a non-resident I believe, but you only need that from mid June to the beginning of September.

East Hampton charges $100 for their non-resident ramp permit, which gives you access to Montauk, Gardiners Bay, Napeague Bay and Three Mile Harbor.

Then there are private marinas with their own ramps. Gone Fishing in Montauk and Orient By the Sea in Orient both charge about $20 per launch and retrieve if I recall correctly. Gone Fishing has some restricted hours of use though.

Chris

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

poorrichard

posted 09/21/2013 04:47 PM  

Trailering

Town of Brookhaven usually checks for residency until the first weekend in November.

This post edited by poorrichard 07:16 PM 09/21/2013

reelfire

posted 09/22/2013 12:14 AM  

Orient by the Sea marina has a for fee ramp. While southold state ramp will be free Orient By the Sea is 5 mins from Plum Gut should the weather get snotty.

rich5118

posted 09/24/2013 10:03 PM  

trailering

Chris
thanks for the info

chinacat

posted 09/25/2013 08:39 AM  

reelfire wrote:

Orient by the Sea marina has a for fee ramp. While southold state ramp will be free Orient By the Sea is 5 mins from Plum Gut should the weather get snotty.

Is that the ramp at the end of Manhasset avenue you are referring to in Southold?

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 09/25/2013 02:34 PM  

chinacat wrote:

reelfire wrote:

Is that the ramp at the end of Manhasset avenue you are referring to in Southold?

The ramp at the end of Manhasset Ave, is called Gull Pond. It is a town of Southold ramp. The only state ramp in Southold right now, is Oyster Ponds, which is on the north side of the neck of land that connects Orient to East Marion. It's a crappy ramp, that is often unusable because it is fully exposed to the Sound, and often shoaled over with rocks washed up on the beach. It's for small boats only.

It's worth traveling to Orient By the Sea to pay and put in there rather than deal with Oyster Ponds ramp, or put in at one of the Southold ramps and run the distance to Orient from there.

President, RAIBS

This post edited by Hunt n' Fish 04:21 PM 09/25/2013

chinacat

posted 09/25/2013 03:20 PM  

Hunt n' Fish wrote:

chinacat wrote:

reelfire wrote:

The ramp at the end of Manhasset Ave, Gull Pond. It is a town of Southold ramp. The only state ramp in Southold right now, is Oyster Ponds, which is on the north side of the neck of land that connects Orient to East Marion. It's a crappy ramp, that is often unusable because it is fully exposed to the Sound, and often shoaled over with rocks washed up on the beach. It's for small boats only.

It's worth traveling to Orient By the Sea to pay and put in there rather than deal with Oyster Ponds ramp, or put in at one of the Southold ramps and run the distance to Orient from there.

Thanks Chris

For some reason I thought maybe that town ramp on Manhasset might have the same deal as the ramp in South Jamesport on Peconic Bay Blvd that once was a state ramp, and is now run/maintained by riverhead, but is open to all with a special sticker from the town of riverhead

marktore

posted 09/25/2013 04:09 PM  

Chris... Thanks for the info mang! A NEW FREE ramp in Greenport will be a slam dunk! I will be using that one regularly! Do you have any street info yet where it will be?

MT

26' JC - Suzie Too

This post edited by marktore 04:10 PM 09/25/2013

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 09/25/2013 04:18 PM  

No problem guys.

The Gull Pond ramp doesn't have that. It would be nice if it did. I've found that Southold isn't too much of a stickler about ramp permits after the summer season is over except for during the height of scallop season. If you can get the non-resident permit, there are a lot of beach parking and ramps to use out there. It just hasn't been worth it to me to get and I'd rather pay at Orient when I want to fish out there.

Mark,

The new DEC ramp is going to be at what used to be called The Old Barge restaurant. It's just immediately East of Port Of Egypt Marine and will put you right out at the Greenlawns area.

President, RAIBS

trafik

posted 09/25/2013 04:54 PM  

HnF: Great info, thanks. Maybe this should be a sticky

reelfire

posted 09/25/2013 06:36 PM  

the Southold ramp i spoke of is the new one the state is building on the property they aquired. it will be free and similar to the one they built on Mattituck inlet. The ramp will be on RT 25 just east of port of Egypt marina. convient to We Go bait and tackle.

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.