Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Boat us online boat course.?????

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
gregory

posted 07/16/2013 07:47 PM  

Seem t o be confused,is the BoatUS online course acceptable for suffolk county boaters or not.Some people posted say yes my nephew thinks no and he just took an 8 hr course in berth page at 2 four hr.eving classes so Which is it Yes or NoConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

farside

posted 07/16/2013 08:11 PM  

Yes

See the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

The guys who charge for these classes may tell you otherwise but this online course is in fact a NASBLA approved course and satisfies the Suffolk County requirement.

This post edited by farside 08:13 PM 07/16/2013

poorrichard

posted 07/16/2013 08:21 PM  

Boat US On Line Class

The Boat US ON Line Class meets the Suffolk County Requirement but not the NY State Requirement

Suffolks requirement is less stringent than NY State's.

Go to NY State Parks Website and click under education.

Then click boating

Read the special notice for Suffolk County Residents.

pokey

posted 07/18/2013 09:23 AM  

poorrichard wrote:

The Boat US ON Line Class meets the Suffolk County Requirement but not the NY State Requirement

Suffolks requirement is less stringent than NY State's.

Go to NY State Parks Website and click under education.

Then click boating

Read the special notice for Suffolk County Residents.

It seems that the only part more stringent is the part pertaining to PWC and boat operators under 18. Otherwise, NYS accepts any NASBLA course (even from out of state). The BOAT US course is NASBLA approved. So , logically it seems that the BOAT US course is ok for NYS boaters over 18....but not for those under 18 or PWC operators. Am I wrong?

pokey

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron ....

du410

posted 07/18/2013 12:03 PM  

The law before the governor is a very watered down law. The only people who will be required to take a boating safety course are those born before May 1996 unless you want to operate a PWC then you need to take the course. The NY Sate law does not allow for online courses. If the governor signs the NY State law it will take precedent over the Suffolk County Law.

pokey

posted 07/18/2013 01:52 PM  

du410 wrote:

The law before the governor is a very watered down law. The only people who will be required to take a boating safety course are those born before May 1996 unless you want to operate a PWC then you need to take the course. The NY Sate law does not allow for online courses. If the governor signs the NY State law it will take precedent over the Suffolk County Law.

Amazing. If you read below from the NYS Parks site; it says NYS recognizes NABSLA certificates from other states and other states recognize NY's. If you live in another state, chances are you took your course online..but thats ok. However , we cant take it online here. Pretty illogical to me, but perfectly understandable when it comes to government.Roll

I'm visiting New York. Will my safety certificate from my home state be sufficient?
Yes, provided it was issued from your current state of residence, and the course was approved by the National Association of Boating Law Administrators. Look for the NASBLA logo on your certificate.

Can I use my NY safety certificate in other states?
Yes. Because the New York Safe Boating Course is NASBLA approved it is accepted in other states and Canada.

pokey

rjaws

posted 07/18/2013 02:04 PM  

Didn't the governor sign the bill a week or two ago? I thought I saw the signing in the news.

MACKS

posted 07/18/2013 08:59 PM  

rjaws wrote:

Didn't the governor sign the bill a week or two ago? I thought I saw the signing in the news.

Yes he did and now the Suffolk county law is null..

pequa1

posted 07/18/2013 11:18 PM  

du410 wrote:

No, its for those born after May 1996 which makes this state law truly useless. Excepting the Darwin award types who go out in cold weather and capsize their kayaks and canoes (which I have one of each) with no training for self-recovery, the vast majority of deaths on motorboats only involve those under 18 being the vitims, not the perpertrators or idiots who put 30 people on a 27' boat.
Regardless, we have got to get rid of the jackasses that we have in Albany ! and IMHO, online courses should only be allowed for someone wanting a quick refresher course, and never allowed for any sort of a certificate. Ever take those online Defensive Driving courses ? One can spin through them in an hour and just take the quizzes to pass.

bringing home venison is now as easy as a bay-caught keeper fluke !

betwixt FI and JI

pokey

posted 07/19/2013 08:38 AM  

"online courses should only be allowed for someone wanting a quick refresher course, and never allowed for any sort of a certificate. Ever take those online Defensive Driving courses ? One can spin through them in an hour and just take the quizzes to pass".

The guy who was piloting "Kandi Won" with 27 people on board had taken a course or courses (not sure which ones). But as noted, just because you take a course doesnt mean that you will make the right decisions. Im sure that we all see things every time we go boating that make us shake our heads....dont think any classes will change those people, whether online or in person.

pokey

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.