Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

How's Your Season So Far?

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Fly Fishing Forum
hauler

posted 07/08/2013 12:34 PM  

Western Suffolk County LIS:

A few nice innings with Striped Bass but seems these days you have to work harder to find them on the fly. Those days from five years ago where every point held fish, every piece of structure had a willing participant ready to inhale a nice clouser seem gone. A lack of bait in the backwater and a lot of rain during June seem to not have helped. Haven't landed any over 28" on the fly. My best day maybe a dozen or so in a few hours. Clousers in Chart/White still my go to fly and with this greater effort needed, I've tried many to get something to turn on. A few more twinky sized fish then years past. Good sign I guess, I'm a believer in the downward trend and hope we make some regulation changes soon.

Not one bluefish on the fly yet. I'm missing the late June, July innings we had when they'd be on the bunker in the harbors and bay. Maybe it will happen come September as that was the norm until a change in pattern up here a few years ago where mid summer had the most big blues in our area.

This has made me put the fly rod down more then I'd like and finding success in deeper water with bait, bottom fishing, etc. Hoping things kick into gear as we move forward but I feel I missed my window of large fish close to home (May and June). Especially with the temps skyrocketing the last few days. Water's getting warm.

How you all doing?

EnjoiLI

posted 07/08/2013 06:44 PM  

Not trying to stir the pot here but I just had to mention it after reading your post hauler. Something definitely feels weird on the striped bass front and its not only where you are, its out by me too in Suffolk. Normally during the summer I'd fish the moon tides and have plentiful cookie cutter schoolies to keep me happy until the fall run(a lot of fun on the light rods), but judging from my poor sessions this year and my log books showing me a downward trend on the areas I fish, something isn't right. I'm not sure if it's just our local ecosystems still re-cooperating from Sandy and the bass are elsewhere, or whether our striped bass are so poorly managed that we are now finally starting to see some real significant change within their population, I am noticing a no bass trend as well from my end. Now I'm no scientist nor do I claim that every piece of evidence regarding plummeting striper stocks are accurate, I have noticed in recent years a lot of big bass being killed on bunker pods, and a lack of smaller fish which kind of leads me to question things. Its been tough out by me and guys I've talked to east and west have said the same, hopefully in the coming months there's bass to be had. This is one area where I'd love to be wrong in believing that our bass stocks are going down.

likeitreallyis

posted 07/09/2013 08:42 AM  

snorkeled last night.

Should be seeing all sorts of stuff

Not a living thing spotted.

Two dead blue claws.

Looked healthy, other then being dead.

fishing is way off up there.

Something very wrong. Very sad season other then a few bright moments on the south shore's cleaner beaches. But even that has been far an few between.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

albenut

posted 07/09/2013 10:47 AM  

the season sucks for me so far. weather is usually the problem. my day off is on friday which is when i usually fish. i haven't had a friday that was not blowing more than 10+mph in more than 2 month. every friday is the same thing. and now the bay is brown so there is no visability over the flats. double wammi.surpriseReallyRoll

saltydoc

posted 07/09/2013 09:36 PM  

Worst season for me to date here in Huntington/Lloyd harbor. My last six sunrise to 9AM outings have been skunkolas- not a sniff or swirl on all my spots inside and out. That has never happened before.

My wife thinks Sandy screwed up the bait patterns and migrations and this is a phase. For once I truly hope she is right!

I did have a banner day with fat schoolie bass all afternoon of Coopers beach in Southampton this past Sunday in broad daylight with swimmers around me on a rubber shad!

Heading out this Thursday AM to try again. Water looks super clean around here and I am marking alot of fish at 30 feet in schools- bait, bunker, porgies?

"many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after."...Thoreau

Cara21Seahawk

posted 07/09/2013 10:33 PM  

Tough season with all the wind almost on a daily basis and add in the lack of baitfish that is usually stacked up on the flats and piled up in the rips..... Most fluke caught are spitting up crabs and shrimp when they normally would be gourged with spearing and sandeels......on a recent trip I didn't even see terns working baitfish on any of the flats in the bay which is something I have never seen before at this time of the season......

FREE  GRIZZ!!!!

hauler

posted 07/10/2013 09:06 AM  

Cara21Seahawk wrote:

Tough season with all the wind almost on a daily basis and add in the lack of baitfish that is usually stacked up on the flats and piled up in the rips..... Most fluke caught are spitting up crabs and shrimp when they normally would be gourged with spearing and sandeels......on a recent trip I didn't even see terns working baitfish on any of the flats in the bay which is something I have never seen before at this time of the season......

Funny and the three bass we've kept while chunking Mid Sound only had calicoes and Mantis shrimp in them as we'll. no finish.

ghostrider

posted 07/10/2013 11:27 AM  

Great May, but then .............

I had one of the best May's in years both fly and spin fishing in my usual haunts on western Shinnecock bay, but as soon as June showed up, it was as if someone pulled the plug. No fish to be found anywhere. I was told stripers were being taken in the inlet while drifting live bait, but just about NADA on artificials.

Actually, I've started using my canoe and fishing the local ponds and lakes with my 5 wt. and have been having a ball on fresh water fish.

"All the way, Every day"

likeitreallyis

posted 07/10/2013 02:11 PM  

I agree late April into May was very good then died. Suddenly.

Sandeels, Weakfish, Stripers in the bay.

Then phht. I did not see much bunker deep in the Peconics as I do every year.

Nothing to keep the fish around the bait has been scarce I think it may have something to do with the explosion of Sea Robins eating everything in sight.

Some days the fishing stopped because who wants to catch 100 Sea robins.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

thaistick

posted 07/14/2013 11:03 AM  

Certainly agree hauler.. have to work harder to earn those stripes it's definitely on a downward trend this current regs on bag and size limit must be change.

flybyme.

posted 07/14/2013 08:10 PM  

Bass

Spring was great with a couple 40 to 60 fish days. Then it just died. I have been getting them in the lights at night still with a few keepers thrown in. The bite during the day has been brutal the last 4 years with it getting progressively worse. Spots where there was always a fish two there are none. Had one yesterday during the day and a miss but it felt like a gift from god. Starting to see some rain bait and worms in the lights at night. Had a good night last week on bait shallow with over 20 fish in 2 hours so they are there. Good luck.............

Give a man a fish he will eat for the day, Teach a BOY to fish he will steal your spots.......

flybyme.

posted 08/18/2013 06:17 PM  

Bass

Picked up a bit with the cooler water. Had a few each of my last couple of outings in between chunkin bass and fluking

Give a man a fish he will eat for the day, Teach a BOY to fish he will steal your spots.......

flybyme.

posted 08/21/2013 09:36 AM  

bass

Had 14 schoolies last night at a few locations. Had a 35 to 36 inch fish shoot out of the shadows and miss my epoxy fly. Smaller fish hit it and the larger fish chased it around. The fish were popping on cinder worms.

Vanilagorila23

posted 08/22/2013 04:45 PM  

flybyme. wrote:

Had 14 schoolies last night at a few locations. Had a 35 to 36 inch fish shoot out of the shadows and miss my epoxy fly. Smaller fish hit it and the larger fish chased it around. The fish were popping on cinder worms.

STOP beating up the schoolies Den Toungue

May the best of your today's be the worst of your tomorrows.

flybyme.

posted 08/22/2013 09:21 PM  

Bass

You know the spots I fish Vin and I treat them like my pets and kiss them when I let them go. Their brothers and sisters that I catch on bait not so nice lol. I hate those that are going green and shutting some spots down...........

Discussion Boards > Fly Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.