Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Cod Jigging Report in 2006-2011

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113  Next

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping
KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 02/04/2006 01:46 PM  

This thread is different from regular cod fishing report.
Instead of reporting how many, what kind, what size, etc., I suggest you to report:
-how you jigged,
-what kind of jigs did you use,
-How heavy was your jigs,
-What color of jig worked best
-what tide your jigs worked best
-What was jigging setups ( rod/reel)
-What kind of line you use

I'll start with my cod jigging report on 02-02-06.

Date: 02-02-05
Place : Stellwagen Bank
Condition : variable less than 10 knot. Some leftover swell.

We had 6 anglers on the boat. Most guys used clam for baits, Sam and I used jigs for the whole trip. We started fishing on the east edge of the Stellwagen Bank in 190-200 ft. Sam used mostly shinny Lavjigs for various sizes (weights) with his infamous 12/0 treble hook and heavy crippled herring with single hook without teaser. I'll ask Sam to report his jigging setups.
I started with 16 oz Angermann jigs with a treble hook with red teaser on it and switched with 10 oz crippled herring and 13 oz Mega Bait jig as I lost my Angermann jig on a first try due to line break at top guide. I found the guide was cracked. At first jigging was slow while they hit baits well. But as time progressed cod started to hit jigs. In my case I had more hit on Mega Bait than crippled herring.
I had a few double headers on a jig and on a teaser. I caught slightly more on jigs than on teasers, but both worked. The choice of teaser color was dark color.

Even though we fished relatively deep in 200 - 300 ft we could use 10-13 oz jigs as current and winds are not problems. Cod hit jigs aggressive and saw less cod snagged than usual.

I used 8 ft Cosmotech rod borrowed from my friend because the top guide of my rod got damaged. The reel choice was Torium 30 filled with 65 lbs Tuf braided line with short 5' 80 lbs leader line. I normally use 30' mono leader line, but due to loss of line I had to use a shorter leader line. I didn't see any problem and differnce for using shorter leader line.
They hit jig and baits throughout the day regardless of running current or slack tide, which is unusual.

Nice double header on a Megabite jig and on a squid teaser

(This post edited by KILSONG on 02/04/2006)

This post edited by KILSONG 09:30 PM 11/24/2011

mhaines

posted 02/04/2006 01:50 PM  

Kil,
Great idea for a topic. I am positive it will go over well! Keep coming with the great ideas!
Best,
Mike

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 02/05/2006 09:28 AM  

I copied Sean's report on Ask to Pro.

quote:

Walsh's 2/4/06

My friend Rusty, Lavjigs, and myself fished Walsh's yesterday. You could not ask for a nicer day in Febuary to fish, calm seas and very light winds, sunny.

We started the morning on the top of the bank, were we had a slow pick at some market cod. Made a move to area where the were there quite a few nets. Alot of fish in this area, but the nets were taking to many of our Lavjigs, so we moved on. Drifted over some mussel beds, and we had some steady action happening now. The last few drops produced some steakers, including a 38lber. for Lavjigs. Great day for everyone, I think most onboard had there limit.

Jigs were the ticket. The three of us used a variety of different sized Lavjigs, both lead and plated version. We put quite a few fish on the deck with these jigs, once we limited out, we put a few in the cooler of a few guys who were not doing so well, and released some fish also.

A few nice haddock came aboard on clams, and saw a couple of wolf fish also, and one monk.

Pool fish was a 40lber., and Dennis' 38 was second. I could hear Deniis mumbling something when he found out he came up short, but I all could make out was "Smelter". As we neared port, I finally was able to figure out what Dennis was mumbling. He was saying that he should have never sold that last batch of jigs to Smelter. He said Frank took another pool from him, and he was not even there.....LOL!!!

ckonkol

posted 02/05/2006 09:52 AM  

I was on the helen h on sunday. I spent the day jigging. The jig of shoice in the morning was a 20 ounce norwegian with a purple cod fly just a little over a foot above the jig. This worked well then about noon time I switched to a 20 ounce cripple herring with a purple fly 1 foot up. I switched because my friend put one on and seemed to be catching more keepers. The cripple herrings were green on top and chrome on the bottom. The style jigging was yo-yo but not fast. Slow lift and drop. The jigs worked fine in both tides. The setup I used was a trinidad 30 and a 7 foot GLoomis rod. The reel was filled with 50 pound stren superbraid with a 20foot topshot of clear ande 50. Hammered diamonds and regular diamonds worked well also and the bottom wasn't sticky at all.

Seane

Noreast.com Charters

posted 02/05/2006 09:53 AM  

Great idea, Kil. I jigged for cod yesterday, so I will add my post.

Date: 02-04-06
Place : Stellwagen Bank
Condition : Variable less than 10 knot, calm sea in a swell.

I was joined by my friends Rusty and Dennis(lavjigs). We headed out to Stellwagon on Walsh's. Most onboard were using jigs, and did quite well. Fish were coming over the rails most of the day. I saw a wide variety of different jigs being used by the jiggers, as you always see on party boats...Vikes, diamonds, pipe, and many others in different sizes, shapes and colors.

As for the three of us, we used Lavjigs only, all day. Dennis used a 14 lead Lavjig for most of the day, with a dark colored teaser on hook, and a tube on top of the jig. He also used a 16oz. lead Lavjig earlier. He had a great day, was high hook among the three of us. He had several doubles on his setup. Rusty started with a 16oz. lead Lavjig, but switched to a plated 10oz. Lavjig, with a dark teaser on hook with a light colored teaser on a dropper loop above the jig. For someone new to jigging, he did very good, got a limit of fish...he had good instructors Smile. He caught slightly more on the jig, but was catching quite a few on his light colored teaser also, mostly smaller fish on the dropper. Myself, I used a 10oz. and 12oz. plated Lavjig with dark teaser on hook, and dark teaser on a dropper. Most of my fish came on the jig. The cod were very agressive hitting the jigs, very few snagged fish.

I used a custom 8' Calstar GF900M rod, with a Penn Baja Special spooled with 50lb. Tuf Line XP, and 50ft. top shot of 50lb. Jinkai leader material. I let Rusty use my custom 8' Lamiglas CGBT96H, with Penn Tiburon YTS with Newell 4.1 gears spooled with 65lb. Tuf Line and 50ft. of 50lb. Jinkai. Dennis had his 7' broomstick, with a Penn 113H. He had put dacron on it before this trip, but from the way he was talking, the dacron is coming off and black spot going back on.

The Lavjigs are awesome for cod, send an email to [email protected] if you need any.

Rusty with a cod jigged on a lead Lavjig 16oz.

(This post edited by Seane on 02/05/2006)

new hampshire

posted 02/05/2006 11:45 AM  

Does that mean Clam daddy can't post here? that discrimination! Smile I demend new clam fishing forum Smile moderated by Kil, Codkiller, Sean, Sam and Lavjigs!

Looks like she got beat with an uglystick(((SHAKESPEARE)))
That is.

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 02/05/2006 11:54 AM  

quote:

Does that mean Clam daddy can't post here? that discrimination! I demend new clam fishing forum moderated by Kil, Codkiller, Sean, Sam and Lavjigs!

Call it "Clam Jig". It will be OK. Smile

new hampshire

posted 02/05/2006 11:57 AM  

If I jig it up and down it is jigging Smile
I will try special jig you used on Walshs last Easter. Remember?

Looks like she got beat with an uglystick(((SHAKESPEARE)))
That is.

Codkiller

posted 02/05/2006 12:04 PM  

That would be the "iron clam"

Bob

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 02/05/2006 12:21 PM  

Then, how do you attach treble hook to your clam ? Smile
Do you use a swivel or split rings ? Smile

lavjigs

posted 02/05/2006 05:38 PM  

The 14 oz jig was lead as Seane said very old and dull. I ran a single bottom 8/0 single hook which was made by a friend for me and proved to me by that friend to catch as well if not better than the treble hooks. Now when i'm fishing for the dinner table and the fish are just looking at jigs and not really feeding i will run a treble to snag my dinner better yet if the fish look all leagal in size. When i see a lot of short fish coming up i like to switch over to the single so not to tear up the little fish. Any of you guys have any feelings on using the single bottom hook so not to kill the little short ones that have to go back? If i'm lucky enough to catch a steaker i alway feel better knowing i have a single hook stuck in his jaw someplace and not just a skin shot with a treble. Any one else feel this way?

I did start yesterday with a 16 oz and treble with tube and left it on the bottom shortly after i caught a few. But i also tore up a few small fish that i know where doomed when they went back.

I also love the fact that the single bottom hook shakes out of gear and snags much better saving a lot of jigs.

Dennis

codmaster

posted 02/05/2006 05:50 PM  

Dennis

"I also love the fact that the single bottom hook shakes out of gear and snags much better saving a lot of jigs."

I would think that it would be better for you (business wise!) if folks would use all trebles. and then have to obtain replacements!!!
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

shebeen

posted 02/05/2006 06:06 PM  

lavjigs wrote:

When i see a lot of short fish coming up i like to switch over to the single so not to tear up the little fish. Any of you guys have any feelings on using the single bottom hook so not to kill the little short ones that have to go back?

That's an interesting thought but I don't really see more damage done to a short with a treble than a single. Maybe I should say I don't see a lot of damage done to a short by a treble....since I rarely if ever use singles codfishing. The foul-hooked shorts don't seem to get gut/belly hooked very much from what I've seen.

BennyV

posted 02/05/2006 06:45 PM  

The few times i went codfishing up in mass on the Big Mac i used singles as well as the guys i went with except one of them. I feel that they worked the same if not better than the treble the guy used.
Later Ben

AKA the CiTy IsLaNd KiD

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 02/05/2006 06:54 PM  

quote:

When i see a lot of short fish coming up i like to switch over to the single so not to tear up the little fish.

That is what I do tuna jigging. When I jig for catch and release, I don't use treble hooks.

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping Page  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.