Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

FISHING BAYSHORE AREA? HELP:

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
gregory

posted 07/01/2013 08:09 PM  

FISHING BAYSHORE AREA?: ]Does anybody know the easiest way to fire island coast guard bridge,I'm fairly new to this area and a little worried about crossing the bay heard a lot about running adrift on sandbars.again I'm coming out of bayshore marina near "Nicky's on the bay restarauant".also if I go left which is east when exiting the marina is any low water or sandbars to worry about. What is a good spot for fluking in this area I only fish in the bay?

This post edited by gregory 08:16 PM 07/01/2013

offracing

posted 07/02/2013 03:31 AM  

west channel

if you come out of bayshore marina follow that channel south (where the ferries go) make sure you stay in the channel it is well marked, if you dont feel comfortable follow a ferry across, most of the ferries will hang a left at the crazy charlie (big buoy) after you pass the crazy charlie as your approaching the south side of the bay you will see sets of buoys you can start heading west towards the bridge and coast guard station ,BTW there is very good fishing for fluke in west channel especially by crazy charlie and alittle north of it.
carl

CaptPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Fisheries Management
Partyboat Fishing

posted 07/02/2013 09:36 AM  

You need to get a chart of the area and study it. I would also recommend getting at least a plotter app for your phone or tablet to help you familiarize yourself with the bay. You know nothing about the bay, and seem to know very little about running a boat... Not being derogatory, just making an observation. Great South Bay is not the place to go in cold with a paragraph of local knowledge printed off the internet. You will ruin propellers, maybe get bruised up a bit. There's plenty of places where the water is very thin. I also strongly recommend getting towing insurance. Boat US is very good for you, they have four boats coming out of the same creek you're in. Without it, if you run aground, plan on spending between six and twelve dollars a foot to get floating again. And $250 an hour to get towed home, if your vessel cannot get you there by itself due to grounding damage.

sandybeach

posted 07/04/2013 05:41 PM  

"You need to get a chart of the area and study it."

Good luck!
The Capt. Segull's charts are dated as of 1984 and back to lead line days. NOAA has no intentions of updating these in your life time. A GPS based on that data is also useless.

CaptPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Fisheries Management
Partyboat Fishing

posted 07/04/2013 07:01 PM  

I disagree. Having run boats on that bay for well over thirty years, everything east of the lighthouse is very close. Most of it is basically unchanged. Weighed against going out cold, on tow paragraphs that don't even mention buoy numbers, I wholly stand by my recommendation.

Specifically, Snake Hill Channel, and the area south and east to the bridge, are dynamic and changeable. Pay close attention to buoys and other boats in that area, and west to the inlet. But, the request for knowledge was around Bay Shore, crossing the bay, and to the "left." I would trust a fifteen year old video game player with basic boathandlng skills to run a boat from Bay Shore, to the lighthouse, to Ocean Beach, to West Sayville docks, back to Bay Shore, with an IPad and a Navionics app.

Get a chart. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

offracing

posted 07/05/2013 01:55 AM  

listen

CaptPaul wrote:

I disagree. Having run boats on that bay for well over thirty years, everything east of the lighthouse is very close. Most of it is basically unchanged. Weighed against going out cold, on tow paragraphs that don't even mention buoy numbers, I wholly stand by my recommendation.

Specifically, Snake Hill Channel, and the area south and east to the bridge, are dynamic and changeable. Pay close attention to buoys and other boats in that area, and west to the inlet. But, the request for knowledge was around Bay Shore, crossing the bay, and to the "left." I would trust a fifteen year old video game player with basic boathandlng skills to run a boat from Bay Shore, to the lighthouse, to Ocean Beach, to West Sayville docks, back to Bay Shore, with an IPad and a Navionics app.

Get a chart. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

listen to paul, i dont know a man that has more local knowledge then him, what he is telling you is fact not fiction, the man has ran this bay east and west for most of his life.
carl

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.