Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Blogs  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Cow Harbor Bait & Tackle Long Island Fishing Report....What's happening on the water now!

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

Discussion Boards > Tackle Shop/Manufacturers Running Reports
cowharbortackle

posted 02/22/2011 06:35 PM  

The latest is that the Northshore is still shutdown for the moment. Huntington, Centerport & Northport Harbors are locked up with ice. The big news is all about Montauk right now...Cod!
The LILCO stacks have been fired up nicely all winter and the local beaches are looking the same as they did during fall. No news about Nessy as it is still early. Soon eels will start their run...
Tonight is the big DEC meeting to set Blackfish regulations for the NYS. I will be Florida this week to kayak fish along the flats. I will let you know what happened

Mark M

We match or beat any Internet & Sporting Good Stores prices.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

This post edited by cowharbortackle 06:40 PM 02/22/2011

rpavlick
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 02/25/2011 11:53 AM  

up Looking forward to your reports Mark!

Want to advertise on noreast.com?
[email protected]
631 863 0170 ext. 28

www.facebook.com/noreastsaltwater

cowharbortackle

posted 03/02/2011 01:54 AM  

Finally got access to a computer again. Back from Florida and the action was non stop!. Spoke to some local charter guys who gave poor reports for fishing in the saltwater flats. I went out anyway with a friend on our kayaks and scored a florida grandslam; amber jack, snook, speckled sea trout & red drum among others. I watched my buddy fight a nice sized tarpon until it cut the line with it's razor sharp gills. We even caught a summer flounder. All this happened in about 2 feet of water! No bait was used at all, just hand tied saltwater flies & jigs. Lots of freshwater large mouth bass were caught daily in various lakes during the early morning and nighttime using plastics on ultra lite tackle. I will be out in Montauk tomorrow mornig and will be sure to visit the fleet to speak with some mates and captains to get a good feel for the cod bite and what are the most popular rigs being used this week.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

eisey

posted 03/02/2011 09:45 PM  

Welcome back. Now back to reality. When are the clams and bunker coming in?

Bob Eisey,  LIBBA 1002,  MSA 295

cowharbortackle

posted 03/03/2011 05:56 AM  

Hi eisy, The bunker usually starts comming into our harbors starting in the west around may or june. Clams are around right now and the diggers will be there as soon as the ice is clear in the back of the harbor where most guys keep their boats. Herring should be making an appearance soon in some back bays and harbors towards the end of the month. I spent the day in Montauk and I can tell you the fleet was docked due to howling wind conditions. It looks like an abundant amount of smaller cod are being caught with some large ones in the mix. Tomorrow might be a good day to get out, but check the weather report for excessive winds. The cod bite could shut down soon, as it did last year so get out there and fish while there still is time.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

This post edited by cowharbortackle 06:04 AM 03/03/2011

cowharbortackle

posted 03/03/2011 05:07 PM  

Heard the boats got out in Montauk today and did very well. Still quiet along the northshore. Get uo to Suffern NY if you can for the big fishing Show. It's the Sport Fishing Super Show and the only sport show in the metro New York area with all the major fishing tackle manufacturers. You'll find the entire world of fishing and hunting and much more. It's America's FAVORITE SPORT SHOW!

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

zx2reel

posted 03/04/2011 10:18 PM  

cowharbortackle wrote:

Hi eisy, The bunker usually starts comming into our harbors starting in the west around may or june. Clams are around right now and the diggers will be there as soon as the ice is clear in the back of the harbor where most guys keep their boats. Herring should be making an appearance soon in some back bays and harbors towards the end of the month. I spent the day in Montauk and I can tell you the fleet was docked due to howling wind conditions. It looks like an abundant amount of smaller cod are being caught with some large ones in the mix. Tomorrow might be a good day to get out, but check the weather report for excessive winds. The cod bite could shut down soon, as it did last year so get out there and fish while there still is time.
The bunker is already here!!!!!!!Smile

cowharbortackle

posted 03/06/2011 02:22 AM  

Good to hear you spotted bunker already. The Herring should be around soon as well. How about a photo of those bunker Smile Keep your eyes out for some news from the Hudson about those moving Bass. Locally, I have not heard of any fish being caught other than a stray Cod found in a Lobster trap.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

cowharbortackle

posted 03/07/2011 03:03 AM  

The good news is Saturday was a great day to wet a line and test out any modifications to your fishing gear. Stripers are sure to be roaming around soon. Start getting out to your local fishing holes and inspect them during the lowest part of the tide to identify sandbars and cuts where bigger fish might want to ambush baitfish. After those big winter storms the beaches have changed quite abit from last season.
If you still have the itch, try some fresh water large mouth bass fishing in some of the local lakes. Don't forget to renew the fishing License.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

cowharbortackle

posted 03/07/2011 08:15 PM  

Heard a few little birdies talking about bait stirring life along the South shore & northshore beaches the past few days. Looks like baitfish are staging in the warmer shallow back harbors mostly in the western areas. Not sure whether it is bunker or herring as I did not see them myself. Get those hooks sharpened.
good news is that the shop is several weeks away from opening. Just waiting for the Building Inspector to give the CO to allow us to open the doors after the huge renovation.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

Koz54

posted 03/08/2011 04:29 PM  

cowharbortackle wrote:

Heard a few little birdies talking about bait stirring life along the South shore & northshore beaches the past few days. Looks like baitfish are staging in the warmer shallow back harbors mostly in the western areas. Not sure whether it is bunker or herring as I did not see them myself.

I saw the first 'swirls' (two) of the year yesterday evening in the back of Stony Brook Harbor in shallow water Shades I didn't see what they were but somebody was chasing something Smile

Good luck with the new digs, I'll have to take a ride over once the season gets cranking up

~Piker MacGyver, Noreast Piker ~ Never left

cowharbortackle

posted 03/09/2011 10:53 AM  

Thank's Koz,
As for today the weather is great to get out and keep searching the structure at low tide. Swirls are occuring at various shallow areas, bass should be warming up soon as the first group finds baitfish. No big news about winter flounder locally. The regulations meeting regarding seabass was last night at the DEC building located in Stonybrook. Check out the management section here on Noreast to get updates on what the state has in mind for the comming season.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

cowharbortackle

posted 03/11/2011 09:12 PM  

Things seem to be in the same state as reported a couple days ago. Something interesting to note: March 19th will be the closest that the moon has ever been to earth in our history. This will be a good day to explore your favorite spot if you are a surfcaster. Also be aware that bodies of fish tend to move during the stronger moon phases. Keeo your eyes open for telltale signs of life in your neck of the woods.
PS: Lets say a few prayers for those lost at sea after the tsunami hit in Japan. Nature is a mystical force and the true power of the sea is to be respected.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

cowharbortackle

posted 03/12/2011 05:11 PM  

What a great weather day! I was able to wet a line in the backbays of some local spots today. I got out at low tide to do some exploring and found the water was gin clear and still in the 40's. No sight of baitfish or much movement locally. I heard of a few catch and release Bass near the Hudson area, but it is still early. Montauk is still on fire with Cod. Try Jamaica Bay or Little Neck if you have the chance. Good Luck and enjoy the sunshine Smile

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

cowharbortackle

posted 03/13/2011 11:19 AM  

Just got back from scouting the local beaches with my buddy Jimboslice. Noted that the tide was still going out, but with a strong west wind the ebb current was emptying the back bays quickly. I was taking some cool photos when we noticed seagulls working the shoreline aggresively in about 6" of water. Decker clams are piled up along the beach so there could be alot of meat rolling in the waves.
If you have not gotten to Montauk for a Cod trip, give it a try before they decide to go away. Montauk has been redhot with larger fish in the mix and holding structure.
Tuesday at 2:00 PM is the big meeting to help determine fluke regulations at the DEC building located in Stonybrook. All are welcome to come and participate.

cowharbortackle.com
Mark M
(631) 239-1631

This post edited by cowharbortackle 11:30 AM 03/13/2011

Discussion Boards > Tackle Shop/Manufacturers Running Reports Page  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90  Next  
Jump to:  

2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.