Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Chrysler "Aspen" SUV towing capacity 8750#???

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge
SORTIE

posted 09/29/2006 11:45 AM  

this new SUV is about the same size as the Pacifica yet has a towing capacity of almost 9,000#

the truck weighs 5,100# with a 119" wheelbase

how are they doing that?

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

This post edited by Sortie 12:42 PM 09/29/2006

Seajay2

posted 09/29/2006 12:26 PM  

They get one of their employees to type in "8,750" in the owner's manual and it is done. If they get sued next year they fire that employee and make settlements on the suits. During the intermim they rake in the big$ in sales because everyone thinks they are getting a major league towing vehicle.

SORTIE

posted 09/29/2006 12:32 PM  

are you in the car biz, Seajay?

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

demonfish

posted 09/29/2006 12:35 PM  

sounds more like he's in the lawyering biz.Wink

Seajay2

posted 09/29/2006 03:27 PM  

I know what companies do to make money. In my line of work I've seen the business practices of many different companies.

SORTIE

posted 09/29/2006 04:27 PM  

I can understand how a 5100# SUV can pull almost 9000# but, even with trailer brakes, how does it STOP or HANDLE w/9000# behind it??

my boat weighs 4500# and if I got a trailer it would be pushing 5000#, so a vehicle with that kind of towing capacity is attractive to me (esp since GF wants a new car)

the physics don't work in my view

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

demonfish

posted 09/29/2006 04:44 PM  

Seajay2 wrote:

I know what companies do to make money. In my line of work I've seen the business practices of many different companies.

Sounds like lawyer speak to me.Wink

Bucktailed

posted 09/30/2006 01:08 PM  

If you want to tow 9000 pounds get a real truck not an SUV.

gverb1219

posted 10/01/2006 07:31 PM  

Sortie wrote:

I can understand how a 5100# SUV can pull almost 9000# but, even with trailer brakes, how does it STOP or HANDLE w/9000# behind it??

my boat weighs 4500# and if I got a trailer it would be pushing 5000#, so a vehicle with that kind of towing capacity is attractive to me (esp since GF wants a new car)

the physics don't work in my view

Hey Skip, did you get it with the 5.7L Hemi?,Confused with 370 ft lbs of torque thats probably how they claim to have that towing capacity. With the 4.7L Magnum it's probably rated for less.Roll Try'd checking the web site, but it doesn't offer much info.
I don't get how the 2 WD has a larger towing capacity than the 4 WDConfused

.......R.I.P. I miss U Bro

SORTIE

posted 10/02/2006 10:50 AM  

I didn't get it in any configuration, G-man.

whether it's a 5.7L Hemi or 4.7L Magnum, there's something wrong with this towing claim when the base vehicle weight is barely above 5,000#

what's the rated capacity of your pickup, EL Presidente?

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

jpd

posted 10/02/2006 10:58 AM  

It has to be all about the torque from a stop, since the Pacifica only comes with a V6. As far as stopping the almost 9,000 lb trailer electric brakes would be good. Smile

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns." - Mario Puzo

PURSUITWA

posted 10/02/2006 11:51 AM  

Seajay.. Sounds like the guy in Fight Club

quote:

The book centers on a nameless narrator who hates his job and the way his life currently is. The narrator works for an unnamed car company, organizing product recalls on defective models if, and only if, the cost of the recall is less than the total cost of out-of-court settlements paid to relatives of the deceased (which parallels the 1970s story of the Ford Pinto's safety problems and recall). At the same time, he is becoming disenchanted with a "nesting instinct"[9] of consumerism that has absorbed his life, causing him to define himself as a person based on the furniture, clothes, and other material objects that he owns. These aspects of his life, combined with frequent trips across multiple time zones (due to his job) disturb him to the point that they cause him to suffer from chronic insomnia.

At the recommendation of his physician (who does not consider his insomnia to be a serious ailment), the narrator goes to a support group for men with testicular cancer to "see what real suffering is like". After finding that crying at these support groups and listening to emotional outpourings from suffering individuals allows him to sleep at night, he becomes addicted to attending them. At the same time, he befriends a cancer victim named Bob. Although he does not really suffer from any of the ailments that the other attendants have, he is never caught being a "tourist" until he meets Marla Singer, a woman who also attends support groups without needing them for their original purpose. Her presence reflects the narrator's "tourism", and only reminds him that he doesn't belong at the support groups. This causes him to be unable to cry and therefore unable to sleep which consequently causes him to hate Marla. After a short confrontation between the two, they begin going to separate support groups in order to avoid bumping into each other again.

Shortly before this incident, his life changes radically after meeting Tyler Durden, a beach artist who works low-paying jobs at night in order to perform deviant behavior on the job. After his confrontation with Marla, the narrator's condo is destroyed by an explosion and he asks Tyler if he can stay at his place. Tyler agrees, but asks for one favor: "I want you to hit me as hard as you can."[10] The resulting fight in a bar's parking lot attracts more disenchanted males, and a new form of support group, the first "fight club", is born. The fight club becomes a new type of therapy through bare-knuckle fighting, controlled by a set of eight rules:

You don't talk about fight club.
You don't talk about fight club.[11]
If someone says stop, goes limp, even if he's just faking it, the fight is over.[12]
Only two guys to a fight.
One fight at a time.
They fight without shirts or shoes.
The fights go on as long as they have to.
If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.[13]

Skatemaster,time to apologize to Tevlin's parents

Seajay2

posted 10/02/2006 03:37 PM  

"Sounds like lawyer speak to me."

I am not now, nor ever been a lawyer. How long you been dealing with lawyers to know of them so well?

SORTIE

posted 10/02/2006 03:42 PM  

Seajay2...enough with the suspense...what IS your line of work?? Confused

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

gverb1219

posted 10/02/2006 10:50 PM  

Sortie wrote:

I didn't get it in any configuration, G-man.

whether it's a 5.7L Hemi or 4.7L Magnum, there's something wrong with this towing claim when the base vehicle weight is barely above 5,000#

what's the rated capacity of your pickup, EL Presidente?

My Z71 Extended Cab has the 5.7L fuel injected V8, HD suspension / Offroad package and the Trailering Equipment package. It has the ability to tow approx. 10,200lbs and a load capacity of approx. 2050lbs.
I use a pintle hook tow hitch for it and have towed mini excavators and backhoes that wiegh in at about 9,000 to 11,000 lbs with no problem. I wouldn't want to do it on a daily basis though. Shades

.......R.I.P. I miss U Bro

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.