Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Patchogue Bay Fishing

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
legasea

posted 04/02/2005 03:29 PM  

I love to fish my local waters and keep my boat in the Patchogue River. Great location to head East to MI or West to FI. I have caught hundreds of snappers, a handful of Bluefish and even two small Bass in April right off my dock in the River. When I talk to John at J&Js he talks about fishing the Bay and how great the Weak fishing used to be. Does anybody else enjoy fishing the Bay as much as I still do and do you have any good stories to tell about fishing the area.

seygrunt

posted 04/02/2005 03:44 PM  

patchogue bay

Legasea
I also dock at patch river and love to fish the bay. Patch. bay Bellport bay. off of sayville in north channel when the summer weaks and king fish move in. weakin in the connetquot river and off ocean beach. could be the start of a good thread not much mentioned here of bay fishing. everything seems to be offshore and the inlets. nothing beats a nice relaxing day floating around the bay..

She's gutsy. Gracefull. A salty skiff a seaman can entrust with his life.

Realsurfin

posted 04/03/2005 12:08 AM  

Kingfish

when and where do you get kingfish....

I have always picked up a few over by the smmithpoint bridge. When I first caught a few I threw them back... I did not know what they were. I usually go east to Moriches... but more and more have been going west when the inlet is a washing machine....

real

6cyc merc/1983 Grady 204c overnighter. 1996 6cyc rude.  If they take away my fishing, I will still keep my boat... there is more to it than just fishing. Forever near the water. gl to all.

rs

legasea

posted 04/03/2005 11:31 AM  

I have had great luck with King fish off the flats just West of the Connetquot River close to the shore line. Caught them when targeting Weaks and I didn't know what they were either. Scrappy little fish and we must have caught 10 of them and only one small Weak.

I hear there are some nice holes for Weaks near Buoy 36 just SE of the River entrance. I also hear that over by Davis Park does well but I never had any luck. There is also a wreck just of Blue Point that holds some fish and I caught some small bluefish. Since I am local I like to head out just around sunrise to target Weaks with my son but to be honest we haven't had much luck but we always catch a great sunset.

I have tried the mouth of the river and only caught snappers. The River is a bait haven, so keep your cast net onboard especially in Late August early September for Peanut Bunker. Lots of Sand eels in the spring.

tiderunner70

posted 04/03/2005 12:45 PM  

our bays aren't quite what they used to be but during certain times of the year it is a blast. just stay out of my weakie holes... Wink

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

legasea

posted 04/03/2005 02:11 PM  

Tide Runner

Give out some advise in what to look for in the Bay to find them.. I would never ask for your spots because that would take the sport out of it for me and I have a few of my own.

seygrunt

posted 04/03/2005 02:40 PM  

bay fishing

king fish,
ive had the best luck with king fish between buoys 30 and 32 during late summer and early fall. also close up to west ave docks and atlantic ave. between 36 and 37 have done well to for kings and summer weaks.
anyone try by the mouth of the carmens river. im going to try there this year.

tiderunner70

posted 04/03/2005 04:31 PM  

its not as easy as it used to be to find the weakies. but what i do is look for structure. weakies have several tendencies just like bass to lay around near a shelf to nail the unsuspecting baitfish. also look for warmer water with alot of grass around. the grass shrimp grounds definitely hold the weakies. there are quite a few holes in your area that hold alot of grass and what not due to the lack of current. vegetation brings bait. and the food chain stems from there. small wrecks and wannabee reefs in the back bays hold bait and quite a few other species of fish which the weakies and bass thrive on... u don't have to look far from patchogue to be in prime grounds.

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

MACKS

posted 04/03/2005 04:53 PM  

Patchogue Bay Fluke

Don't forget the fluke there are plenty of keeper size fluke in the bay try drifting across the main channel near the top of the tide you will be surprised.

kcee7

posted 04/05/2005 10:40 AM  

This is a great thread ! I also live on the Patchouge River. I have had my boat there for two years and never caught anything other than snappers.

kcee7

posted 04/05/2005 10:49 AM  

Macks, I fished that River hard and never caught a fluke, when was the last time you caught one ? Does anyone here belong to the Patchogue Fishing Club ?

legasea

posted 04/05/2005 11:03 AM  

KC..

Throw some small 1/2 or 1oz tins and small lead heads with sand eel plastics or small swimmers in late April early May and you will be surprised with some rat and schoolie bass right inside the river on both incoming and outgoing current flow. They are not plentiful but you will land one or two if you put some time in. I keep my boat at Leeward Cove South and catch them right off my dock. When you see the bait the fish will be there.

Also, I went down to the boat yesterday and saw many birds diving the water in the middle of the river. Not sure what they were eating and they were circling more than diving but you would see a gull dive for something here and there. As fast as they came they were gone.

MACKS

posted 04/05/2005 06:23 PM  

Kcee I was talking about the main channel in the bay in front of patchogue river you will find fluke on the dropoff along the channel

seygrunt

posted 04/10/2005 10:40 PM  

patchogue bay

bought my boat to the river today. ill be ready to start fishing the area this week. anybody have any luck yet.

treypescatorie

posted 04/11/2005 04:02 PM  

Patchogue fishing

I used to live in east patchogue and have fished the area many times. The only thing that I caught is weakfish, blowfish and snappers. Other than that it is the like dead sea.

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.