Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Winterizing question for you guys

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
morgs

posted 10/06/2012 04:57 PM  

First winter with my 07 Robalo 305, I want to keep it in the water until end of stripper season. I'd like to winterize the fresh water, raw water and AC while it's still in the water. Fresh water seems pretty straight forward don't see a prob there. There is a single pickup for all raw water systems (2 live wells, raw wash down, AC). I'm thinking of maybe rigging some sort of inline 3-way valve after the pickup but before the pumps. One end going to thru hull, one end going to pump, last end rigged to accept antifreeze.I can then shut the thru hull side of the 3-way valve, suck up anti freeze and flush the raw water systems. Am I over thinking things? Any other ideas?

B.Attitude
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 10/07/2012 06:00 AM  

It will work.up I did the same on the intake for my two inboards.I no longer have to get under the deck,take off the two hose clamps on each pickup,then trying to remove the 1 1/4' hoses(which is a pain in the a**. Now I just shut the valves on the raw pickup,open the ball valve to the anti-freeze bottle on top of the deck.It now takes less than 10 minutes an engine.

9/11

Nothing left to do but Smile,Smile,Smile...

CaptPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Fisheries Management
Partyboat Fishing

posted 10/07/2012 08:50 AM  

Also, if it's sensible, valve off the lines running to each pump, so you don't need to flush each system every trip. Wasteful, and it just leaves room for error, doing it so often.

Lottadawg

posted 10/07/2012 03:02 PM  

Stripper season NEVER ends, my friend. Just make sure you tip the dancers...Wink

(sorry, just had to)

morgs

posted 10/07/2012 08:35 PM  

haha.. dame auto spell check!
Stipper season! What's the regs? Over 18?

After looking at it again I think I have a different, easier plan. Hear me out. The green star was where I was going to put a 3-way valve in to suck in AF. The red star was where I'm going to put inline ball valves. Still going to do the inline ball valves to isolate each run but I think I can probably just open the sea strainer and pour AF right into it while I run each pump. No need for the 3-way valve. Brass ball valves would be the best right?

B.Attitude
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 10/07/2012 08:52 PM  

I used a Tee fitting at your green star.On the top of the Tee I put a brass ball valve,after the ball valve I put hose that goes up to an anti freeze bottle.Just shut your raw water valve,open the ball valve and it sucks up the anti freeze.

9/11

Nothing left to do but Smile,Smile,Smile...

physty

posted 10/07/2012 10:17 PM  

Winterizing pumps

First I think you will find that when winterizing an a/c pump you will have to force feed antifreeze to it (from way up on deck )-those pumps don't self prime well and lose a prime easily.
Second and very inportant is to rember to open all valves after being hauled so as to eliminate any trapped water in the valves themselves.I've seen valve bodies split over the winter from freezing because they weren't opened to drain that small amount of trapped water.
Enjoy the rest of the year,Physty

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.