Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Connecticut Vs New York Regs

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing
Fenian

posted 11/12/2004 08:13 AM  

I'm out of Bayville but have been blackfishing on the Connecticut side of the Sound. The regulations seem to indicate that I can keep only 4 fish while in Connecticut waters yet I keep hearing about anglers keeping their NY limit of 10, including partyboaters, while fishing Connecticut spots. What gives? Also, is there an online chart or map that shows the border so I can determine which spots are in Connecticut or NY? The Mapsource chart in my GPS doesn't show it.

sealaw

posted 11/12/2004 09:05 AM  

NY fishermen fishing in CT waters are subject to CT regs - I suggest you catch your 4 fish bag limit and then start hunting for some NY spots to fill your limit. Anyone keeping a NY limit in CT waters runs the risk of fines in CT.

New Member of the "Downeaster" Society!

fliesthatcatch

posted 11/12/2004 01:14 PM  

sealaw is 100% correct
regulations are in effect where you are fishing not not your home port. Some guys think because your home port is NY you can fish in Conn. and keep 10 fish because you are returning to NY. That is no so. OBTW Connecticut DEP/DEC does enforce the laws even on WINDY days(LOL)
So be careful keep what you will use and what is legal
Bob

sealaw

posted 11/13/2004 06:43 AM  

CT/ NY Boundary Coordinates

BTW, forgot to mention you can get info on the dividing line on the CT DEP website. Look for the "Marine Fisheries Information Circular 2004" (its a .pdf document) In Appendix VIII of the circular there's a table with a series of lat/long coords from west (Greenwich) to east (Stonington).

You can plot them as a series of waypoints on your GPS or use plotting software to create a "boundary".

One more thing - I know for a fact that there are a TON of great blackfish spots on the NY side in the Bayville/Oyster Bay/Glen Cove area (I grew up there). Put on your depth finder and cruise the shoreline at 20' to 40' depths - you'll find a bunch.

Fenian

posted 11/15/2004 08:36 AM  

Thanks alot guys. I know the CT DEC enforce the rules...they checked every one of about 20 boats at a spot I was on a couple of weeks ago.

AmbrosiaMae

posted 11/16/2004 10:40 AM  

At least you NY guys have a choice.

It doesn't matter where I fish, NY or CT. When I get back to the dock, I can only have 4.

fliesthatcatch

posted 11/16/2004 11:39 AM  

Sealaw
Thanks for that dep info I will add those into my GPS. this way I will know if I am breaking the law..... BTW I still think it should be the same laws across the board or the in this case the sound.

Cold mornings & windy days
IT'S TOG TIME

Bob

(This post edited by fliesthatcatch on 11/16/2004)

sealaw

posted 11/18/2004 07:28 AM  

Uniform regs for LIS

Flies,

I happen to agree that regs should be uniform on LIS. However, bear in mind that such a proposal would most likely mean that NY's bag limit would go down!

Be careful what you wish for!

tiderunner70

posted 01/11/2005 10:13 AM  

fenian u should post this in the marine regulation forum. i am not sure if there is any difference with the sound than anywhere else. one thing i do know is that if my boat is registered in new york and i launch out of a new york port and i fish in new jersey waters for fluke i still have to obide by ny's regs. (which by the way are worse than the jersey regs for fluke). now what if u could keep 10 togs in ct and only 4 here??? do you think you can pull in to your home port here in ny and not have a problem???

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

Fenian

posted 01/12/2005 09:09 AM  

No, Tiderunner, I am sure I would have a problem. It is my understanding that DEC doesn't care where your boat is registered or where you launch from. All they are concerned with is what waters you are in while you are in possession of whatever fish.

tiderunner70

posted 01/13/2005 01:22 PM  

there are definitely boats fishing in out of state waters and keeping there legal limit of the port they pull out of. however that does not necessarily make it legal. there are a few guys in the other thread that will definitely know for sure. definite grey area... Wink

Tom Farrell
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 01/13/2005 02:46 PM  

Tide - Fenian is correct, for possession litmit what matters is the waters you are in when boarded by the DEC. Guys that are keeping thier state limit when fishing another state's waters whose restrictions are tighter run the risk of getting fined. As an example if you're a NY boat fishing in CT your limit while in CT waters is 4 fish . Once you cross back into NY waters you could harvery 6 additional fish per person. If DEC boards you in CT waters with any more than 4 fish per person, you 'd be subject to the fines.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

tiderunner70

posted 01/13/2005 03:17 PM  

its kinda like a double edged sword. for example jersey has more liberal regs on fluke than ny. so what happens if your fishing for fluke in jersey when its out of season for us or even if you keep there 7 vs. our 3 and u venture back into ny waters with those fish on board. your still taking a big chance. thats why the home port issue comes into mind. also if it was spring time and i was busy fishing for weakies i wouldn't even be thinking about this... Wink

Tom Farrell
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 01/13/2005 03:23 PM  

If your in NJ waters fishing their more liberal regs you would be in violation as soon as you crossed into NY waters. I ca't wait for the sprng weakies eitherSmile I can limit on fluke in the Peconics pretty quickly at that time fo year and then spend the rest of the day fishin for the weaksWink

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

sparkie

posted 01/13/2005 05:46 PM  

so if i fish in NJ waters and the limit for weakfish there was 14in. and 14 bag and i come back to ny waters with the NJ limt i can get a fine because NY`s limit is 16 in. and 6 bag

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.