Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Do the strobe lights "scare off" swordfish?

Discussion Boards > Offshore
tunatrav

posted 08/11/2013 09:45 PM  

Ok so last year I went out on a 24 hour trip on a PB. I wanted to target swordfish. I had one of the swordfish strobe lights. I put it on and before I know it I'm getting screamed at by the captain. He said that the strobe swordfish lights scare off swordfish. I was told if I used it that he would take it and not give it back. So can someone tell me if its true or does that capt. Just have something against the swordfish strobes.

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 08/11/2013 10:06 PM  

Only thing we've ever caught on the deep sword baits, with the strobes, is a manta ray. I don't know if it scares them or not, but we've caught all of our swords on the shallower tuna baits without any lights. I did catch one on a glow jig once.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

Boonebird

posted 08/11/2013 10:07 PM  

LOL thats funny. My favorite sight to see in canyon at night is your strobe light that was set at 200 swimming around the boat. I have seen it more than a few times.

asiegel

posted 08/11/2013 10:20 PM  

That is bizarre behavior for a fisherman. Most fishermen, when presented with the opportunity to add something to their lure, especially when it is unreasonably expensive, will go for it even if it's unproven. Most fishermen feel that lights attract fish. Most fishermen believe that if commercial guys use something it must work. Most fishermen are eager to try something new when they are not catching. Therefore, he must not be much of a fisherman.

Unless... Maybe what he didn't tell you is that he tried the lights for a few years and caught nothing, but faithfully replaced the batteries and the whole light a few times too at $40 a pop. Finally he lost the light again, so he said 'screw it' and put his sword bait down without it. Lo and Behold, that night he caught a huge sword! And he knew it had to be those God Damn lights!

Lights do not repel swordfish, they attract them! I have caught swordfish with and without lights, but mostly with. But as with all fishing, there are no guarantees.

Gaff and release

Boonebird

posted 08/11/2013 10:38 PM  

I will admit we have caught more swords 50 feet down with half a butter fish or sardine than on a sword rig. Dont get me wrong we always have atleast one sword rig out with a light on it.

Hey Andy what happens when you catch a sword on 50 lbs flouro and try to drag it threw the door in a tourney. Sorry man.

Logic

posted 08/12/2013 10:50 AM  

lights

We have got them with and without but i always want one out with a light.

Jigalow

posted 08/12/2013 08:54 PM  

Just to stay on point here I think the question is regarding strobes. I think most will agree lights can help but the strobe lights don't make any sense to me.

Boonebird wrote:

Hey Andy what happens when you catch a sword on 50 lbs flouro and try to drag it threw the door in a tourney. Sorry man.

Will, Pretty sure that was me on the rod that night... by now you realize you lose a fish with us you never live it down Smile Don't beat yourself up, I blew one gaff shot 7 years ago and I'm still paying for it.

tunatrav

posted 08/12/2013 09:08 PM  

I am talking about the lights that change colors.

asiegel

posted 08/12/2013 09:42 PM  

We use the changing color lights. The light is an attractant, but not a lure - the fish won't bite it. It should be tied on at least 10 feet from the bait. We normally put it 30 feet away. We started catching more swords once we added underwater lights on the boat. They almost always swim up to the boat either before or after taking the bait.

No comment on the lost fish. I have lost more fish than most people catch.

Gaff and release

seamister63

posted 08/13/2013 09:18 AM  

Strobes

Yes, they work. Very well in fact. During the day we fish 2-3 strobes on the windon, and at night we will fish an Electralume ~50' from the bait, and a strobe (or a light stick) about 15' from the bait. Swordfish are not line/leader shy in the least. Obviously the 50lb mono rig will get bit more often because it is the lightest rig in the spread. Put all 250-300lb leaders out and you'll get sword bit just as much.

-Tim

Discussion Boards > Offshore  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.