Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Stupid Wind knots with Powerpro...

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
MrTattoo

posted 10/14/2004 02:46 AM  

I love braided line..what angers me is these wind knots/ birds nests i get sometimes...just yesterday i picked up 150 of 50# test from walmart...filled up my 4400ss by hand...

1st mishap...didnt see that i had a knot in my spool...cast and lost an expensive gibbs needle fish...

2nd...tossed out a rattle trap and the saw the craziest knot of my life...had to cut 1/4 of the spool (after trying to fix for like 1/2 and hour)

are these wind knots due to the fact that i hand spooled the powerpro?

this never happend with my fireline...

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 10/14/2004 07:24 AM  

Tatoo,
Spinning or convenetional reel? If its a spinning reel I'd guess that you put the line on backwards. You have to put the line on so it lays on the reel tha same way as it lays on the spool that comes on.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

daShark

posted 10/14/2004 03:20 PM  

I had the same experience with 50# and 20# test, couldn’t fish without problem until I'v got 30# test and my problem’s gone, all my plugs are safe in my bag now. Try the right test for the real, I’m using Okuma Epixor Spinning EF-30 for 2+ years now and no problem, had bass up to 34lb.

GF 2 All Wink

pinstriper

posted 10/14/2004 06:51 PM  

You might want to make sure you're not over-filling the reel, and the line is on there nice and tight. Did you put it on under tension?

Charlie
LIBBA  #1974
MSA    #1974

MrTattoo

posted 10/14/2004 08:33 PM  

i hand spooled it uder a little bit of tension...also when this happens most of the time a mystery loop comes out from the top...like a loop that emerges from somewhere in the middle of the spool..

just kinda mad this happened a day after i spooled up..

tiderunner70

posted 10/14/2004 08:56 PM  

sounds like you didn't spool it properly or there is too much line on the reel. beyond that the majority of times i have seen anyone with a windknot with power pro is when there fingertip drags the line on the way out. been there done that myself. beyond that those knots in powerpro come out extremely easy. i'll take those knots over knotted up mono any day...

the next time you spool a reel try spooling the line from a bucket of water.

(This post edited by tiderunner70 on 10/14/2004)

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

pinstriper

posted 10/14/2004 08:59 PM  

After you cast your plug, are you making sure the line is being laid on the spool under some tension, and without loops, as you retrieve?
If it was me, before fishing again, I would let out a lot of line and retrieve it under as much tension as I could (maybe have someone assist by keeping tension on the line?) and make sure the line is spooled properly. It's also important not to overfill the spool (at least 1/8" from the lip).

Now try fishing in daylight at first so you can see if/when the loops are being formed. Don't forget to retrieve under some tension by using a fairly heavy plug at first. If you have no problems, go to a lighter plug and see what happens. You should be OK.
One other thing to remember is that as you retrieve, if you feel a loop pass through the tip guide, stop reeling and undo the loop before it gets tightened into a knot before you cast and lose another plug or break your rod.....hope this helps

Charlie
LIBBA  #1974
MSA    #1974

Pauky

posted 10/16/2004 06:55 PM  

Here's my story on Power Pro...

Last weekend I decided to try out Power Pro (PP) fishing line for the first time. I was at a B&T shop for something else and had them put on some Power Pro for me. They actually had it in bulk. This guy put on 220 yards at .14 cents per yard that cost $30.

I took it out right after I left the store and started pitching lures, but I got out about 15 casts and 7 or 8 of them ended up with knots in the line. I wasted an hour untangling 6 knots and cutting out 2. Finally, I packed it in when the ¾ oz floating plug that I just bought from the same guy that put on the PP snapped off the line from another tangle. He told me that PP wouldn’t snap. I went right back to the tackle and they could see I wasn’t happy. One of the salesmen there looked right at my spool and said I had too much on and pointed out how loose the line was. He asked if I put it on or was it professionally put on. I pointed to the guy next to him and said he put it on.

Anyway, we went out back of the store because he wanted to see how it was casting. I could only get off one cast because it went into the trees on the first cast and got hung up. Impressively enough, the 15lb PP line didn’t snap as we pulled on it, but the little brass loop broke from the drop sinker. Anyway, the same guy that put on my line, stripped off 50 yards ($7 worth) of it and told me to see if that works. He didn’t seem to want to re-spool it, but he did replace my floating plug at no cost.

Should I have received some money back for stripped-off 50 yards of line?

tiderunner70

posted 10/16/2004 09:29 PM  

3/4 oz.??? what were u throwin it on??? snapped off from a knot??? i don't know about that... an improperly loaded reel can cause problems. but the break off i don't know. was it wrapped around the tip of you rod??? just wondering...noeql gonna chime in since u swear by it??? Wink

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

MrTattoo

posted 10/16/2004 11:45 PM  

220 for 30 is kinda pricey...i would spool some mono under the PP...at walmart i got 150 yards of 50# for like 12 bucks..

p.s. got another fun windknot today throwing a plug...some guy was kind enuff to give me some spiderwire for free so i wouldnt be casting with a 1/2 spool....

anyone have any opinions on the new fireline??

JollyRoger190

posted 10/17/2004 01:04 AM  

50lb. Test PP??? What are you fishing for?? Tuna??? I know the PP is very thin, but isn't 30lb enough?? I personally don't like the Braided lines. Fished with Mono all 45+ years of fishing, caught many large fish to 50lbs. on 20lb. Mono. From beaches and boat. And I release many many large fish healthy to swim away after the catch. Don't like the "hauling" in of fish, no sport, no chance for the fish to break off, no challenge! Might as well use a cast net!

Practice Conservation...

freeportfrank

posted 10/17/2004 07:20 AM  

I switched back to 20# mono, much happier, I can now cast worry free, so I don't get the distance I used to get but who cares when the fish are right in front of you. Mono being stiffer doesn't flutter as it passes through the guides like braided and regardless of wind direction. Besides it's cheaper. Braided has been haunting me for months with all kinds of theory's going through my mind, driving me nut's. TIDERUNNER, what's with the WATER, I heard something about that, how does it work. BLACKBEARD, where are you?

tpoliti

posted 10/17/2004 10:21 AM  

I've been fishing power pro exclusively for the past 3 years and have found that you need to make sure that the line packs on the spool tightly. Every 4 or 5 cast I make the entire retrieve with the line pinched between my fingers ( I tape them before I fish). Also after a cast I pinch the line and reel in until I can feel the lure ( make sure that slack line gets packed tight) It has greatly reduced my windknot problems.

Tony

rumore57

posted 10/17/2004 11:44 AM  

I started using the braided lines (power pro and Stren) this year and my only problem has been tying the knots in the wind. I do not have any problems tying them while sitting on the couch at home, but on the boat or the beach I definatly waste fishing time.
Tight lines
Rumore57

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.