Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

non-wire (shy stripers/blues) leader to minimse bite offs?

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
jjdbike

posted 10/13/2004 01:40 PM  

When fishing for stripers/blues I know that wire decreases catch, if not eliminating stripers especially if the water is clear and the stripers have been getting hammered. is a 40lb floro leader tough/heafty enough to minimise bite offs or do I need to go heavier? Is there any difference between mono & floro in toughness and spooking line shy-fish in clear water?
Thanks.
JD

paul708

posted 10/13/2004 02:08 PM  

i use 30#flouro and 40 if needed.just bought some yesterday,for the tourney at the end of the month..

Home of the $259.00 (or less)jigging rods

leakyrivot

posted 10/13/2004 02:12 PM  

Flouro is definitly tougher, but it probably makes little difference.

The trouble is bluefish teeth are like razors, they can bite through 100 lb mono if hooked wrong... I'll bet you might be ok with something really thick, like 100+ lb flouro, but then you've taken away the benefit of a stealthy approach.

With artificials it really doesn't make a difference, unless the lure is really small, usually you don't need a leader because the body takes care of it... sometimes **** luck will loose you a plug, but it's not all that common. Just keep the big $$ yo-zuri's out of the water when the blues are boiling.

If you are fishing bait and the blues are thick, either plan on loosing a few hooks or switch to steel.

South Bend makes some nice short light-duty steel leaders "invisi-leader", I use them ice fishing when I might run into pike with an occasional salmon or trout mixed in. By taking off the snap-swivel and looping them directly over the hook they look decent.

Another good bet would simply be very light steel leader - buy a spool and crimp your own right onto the hook. The light duty stuff (20 lb test) is very thin and will be stealthy minus all the extra hardware.

Jon

"Kids, don't try this at home."

FishWisher

posted 10/13/2004 04:07 PM  

If you are fishing chunks, a circle hook will go a long way towards landing bluefish without using a wire leader. You'll still get some bite-offs, but your landing ratio will be much higher than that with a J-hook.

Remember: I don't take any of this seriously.

Jeff023

posted 10/13/2004 04:27 PM  

I've recently switched to American Fishing Wire Surflon Ultra 35# camo-coated wire. It's hi-tech super thin wire braid with a teflon coating that makes it invisible. You can knot it or use a crimper. So far, no bite offs (I too chunk in a blues / stripers area. It works great with my palomar knotSmile

Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen; National Rifle Association; Recreational Fishing Alliance

HappyCamper

posted 10/13/2004 05:30 PM  

I use on the surf regular 60# pound mono leader. I don't know if blues and bass are too line shy. When the big blues are around I'll switch my rigs over to vinyl coated wire by Berkley in 45# pound class. Easy to tie, go through the eye and just give it ten tight twists around, tight and use a lighter and just melt it a little then cut off the extra tag. Works great and the toothy creatures won't steal your rigs.

mrom123

posted 10/13/2004 07:21 PM  

I agree with Fishwisher.
Circle hooks and 40-60 flouro is your best bet. I tie this to a swivel then directly to my line. The nature of the circle hook leaves all the line outside the blue or stripers mouth.
We caught 10-12lbers(blues) last week and only lost one due to tackle break.
If you tie approx. 36" leader, after a blue or two is caught the line very close to the circle hook might be frayed. I just cut about 4-6" off and re-tie. If I am strictly fishing blues, i will of course use a wire leader.
By the way, it was nice to catch 8 or 9 fish without gut hooking any.
Tight lines.
Michael

leakyrivot

posted 10/14/2004 01:43 PM  

Guys,

I gave my .02 on the leader, but I gotta disagree on the circles for blues.

My hookup ratio is terrible with circles and blues, and I definitly know how to fish them. With bass and herring circles work great, blues just don't eat the same way.

Jon

"Kids, don't try this at home."

rockfish9

posted 10/14/2004 02:24 PM  

Blues in my striper areas are ususly not a problem,if 'ole razor lips persists I'll go to a short (18") leader of #50 floro,but thats for eeling not chunking,another possibility that i have used is to use my regular #20 line and in leiu of a leader make a long loop with a bimni twist,attach the hook by using a cats paw knot,the double line gives you a better shot at landing a wayward blue but is not to thick to scare off the linesides,if the make up is mostly blues go with the invisi-leader. My .02

A mans got to know his limitations... Clint Eastwood

jjdbike

posted 10/14/2004 03:54 PM  

Thanks for all of the advice. I know that fishing is as much of an art as a science & what works one day may not the next. But I am really confused, circles for stripers & blues as not to gut hook, or circles for blues so they dont have line in thier mouth, or circles just for stripers but they don't hook up on blues?????
HELP!!!!

FishWisher

posted 10/14/2004 04:03 PM  

Yes and yes. Circles for blues so they chew on the hook and not the line, and you don't gut hook stripers. There is a learning curve to using circle hooks, but once you get a feel for it, you won't go back to J-hooks.

Remember: I don't take any of this seriously.

mrom123

posted 10/15/2004 12:33 PM  

Circle hooks have a completely different set style. Circle hooks are generally set by giving some line, then clicking into gear. With the tip high, I usually start reeling to take up all slack. The hook usually sets itself. Putting the hook in the bait is crucial, you must make sure the tip is exposed. And circles are a little difficult to install properly.
I am no expert on circles, but they seem to work for me. It is also easier on the novice, who comes on board and simply wants to catch fish.

Any circle hook set advice?
I always like to better my techique.
Michael

MrTattoo

posted 10/17/2004 04:50 AM  

when chunking for blues its better to you a circle with a wide gap...circle hookds have a tendency to make the task of puttin a chunk on annoying..i would advice using a circle hook with a large gap..or a oct. hook that seems to be the middle ground between j-hooks and circles.

rumore57

posted 10/17/2004 11:30 AM  

7/0 Circle Hooks, no matter what brand, have proven themselves in the last 4 years or so. in the jones/fire island area, use a five foot 40# flourocarbon leader and a 130# barrel swivel. The sinker I use, is an egg sinker that slides on the line above the barrel swivel. This has been working me It provides great sensitivity. I feel the live bait moving around on the bottom.
Tight lines
Rumore57

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.