Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

how to fish a blackfish jig

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
ericg

posted 10/13/2010 09:23 PM  

hi all,i was wondering if i could get some input on fishing the tidaltails blackfish jigs from those who are catching with them, specifically on the rigging and jigging or walking part,also i read from the manufacturer they recomend while getting hit to lift your rod tip up before setting the hook, my guess is to put the hook in the upright position instead of just laying down??i want to introduce them to eastern ct but figured i should learn how to properly fish them first.......silly me right....any info would be great, i know its catching on in western ct and the blackfish are running scared....thanks alot eric grant

jdc946

posted 10/14/2010 11:28 AM  

Blackfish jigs

"You tip them with an Asian crab or a piece of a green. Fish them on light tackle with braided line. Let the jig rest on the bottom, and if the fish are there, you will feel a VERY subtle tap. When you feel the second tap, gently lift to detect pressure. If there is pressure, lift the rod to set the hook. You will probably lose many crabs at first. It takes some getting used to. I hear that they don't work in depths over 30 feet."

This is a quote from another fisherman. I went to a seminar recently on Blackfish and basically they said to use light tackle in shallow water. The bigger jigs apparently do not work as well. I haven't used them and can't say if they make a difference. I have my doubts, but since i only fish deep drops, i guess will never know how well they work.

In life, there are no reruns

MickieBelle

posted 10/14/2010 01:15 PM  

3 and 4 oz jigs

jdc946 wrote:

I went to a seminar recently on Blackfish and basically they said to use light tackle in shallow water. The bigger jigs apparently do not work as well. I haven't used them and can't say if they make a difference. I have my doubts, but since i only fish deep drops, i guess will never know how well they work.

I had my doubts too about the larger jigs but they catch just as well as the lighter ones. Been using them for 3 years now. Good luck.

jdc946

posted 10/14/2010 01:52 PM  

When fishing blackfish i have been a one hook or snafu die hard. I guess it's time to give this jig a chance. Many people at the seminar were lining up to buy them in ALL sizes, especially the guys that fish the L.I. Sound. So, I guess they must be worth trying.

In life, there are no reruns

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 10/14/2010 02:47 PM  

It sounds like its basically a hook and sinker all in one, being that you don't really "jig" it.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 10/14/2010 02:57 PM  

That is correct Mike.

I was out yesterday with JoeBfishing. I have always fishing traditional type rigs for tog. Towards the end of the day I tried using the jig and couldn't catch a cold lol. Its a very different feel. The taps I did feel I would never swing on with traditional gear for but I guess those taps were more likely solid bites from the fish.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 10/14/2010 03:21 PM  

reelfisher wrote:

That is correct Mike.

I was out yesterday with JoeBfishing. I have always fishing traditional type rigs for tog. Towards the end of the day I tried using the jig and couldn't catch a cold lol. Its a very different feel. The taps I did feel I would never swing on with traditional gear for but I guess those taps were more likely solid bites from the fish.

Yeah, I guess a bite on the sinker would feel much different than a bite on a plain old hook. Maybe that's why people who don't usually fish for tog like them, they don't even feel, much less swing at all those bergall bites. Shades

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

ericg

posted 10/14/2010 04:50 PM  

thanks jdc, the thing is i went out on a headboat the other day with some jig fisherman, i never jigged for blackfish before,i learned a long time ago from some of the best sharpies in shb to watch and pay attention to the peeps who are catching and pay major attention to details they are doing, what your saying falls totally in line with the high hook-pool winner,i watched him and heard his remarks on the bite and line lift, the whole boat was a pick and he had a very solid day with the jigs and the noodle for a rod, what i also noticed about the jig is that you better be changing the jig as the tide changes because the smaller the jig the better, in eastern ct the tide is obviously faster so i wonder how that will work out for me but i think this will change blackfishing in general, and if your not doing it you should try because i think this will change blackfishing forever. man if the fish ever knew what we go through to catch them they would be laughing at us huh....eric grant

ericg

posted 10/14/2010 04:59 PM  

reelfisher i think thats just what it is,we were all fishing the jigs like it was a one hook rig just waiting for the heavy bites and letting the bergals eat and this guy was fishing super hard, like in a zone, paying complete attention to the line, than i would watch him lift a little than feel the pressure and not swing but lift up hard and steady with a fish on, just like ive seen bernie do with fluke on the flamingo, the hits must feel like the little bergals but there really the blacks,it seems without the ultralight and the braid your going to miss a lot of fish.

MickieBelle

posted 10/14/2010 05:08 PM  

ericg wrote:

i would watch him lift a little than feel the pressure and not swing but lift up hard and steady with a fish on

The reason you want to do exactly that is that if you miss, the fish will almost always come back, and I mean right away on the drop down again. Wonder if they think it's a flying crab with a 4 oz. a$$ or something. Who knows, but a firm lift to set the hook, not too high, and not a swing, will do it.

grouptherapy

posted 10/14/2010 11:35 PM  

Took me a good 3 outings to get the feel. 30 pound braid, 52# orvis mirage leader. I found crab bait cut of shell and legs kept the bait stealin' down to reasonable. Today the current was light. relatively small tide. I fished a 1/2 ounce up to a 1 1/2 ounce tidaltail in 27-30' of water. Over 50 keepers in 3 1/2 hours. Catching was incredible. outfished the typical hi-lo and the double hook snelled leader unquestionably. Lower the jig to the floor and keep it just in contact, keeping your line so that you can feel the jig. The bait will get a light muckle, be patient. gently raise the rod tip an 1" and wait for the weight of the tog. Set the hook. Good luck Art

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 10/15/2010 10:04 AM  

grouptherapy wrote:

outfished the typical hi-lo and the double hook snelled leader unquestionably.

That is the part I don't really buy into. In the cases I have seen, its been about even.. some days the jig fisherman catches more and some days I do with a more traditional rig. I think being confident in your setup and presentation has a lot to do with success and if you're having more fun with the jigs than by all means fish them as tht is what we are supposed to be doing out thereup

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

grouptherapy

posted 10/15/2010 12:08 PM  

reelfisher wrote:

grouptherapy wrote:

outfished the typical hi-lo and the double hook snelled leader unquestionably.

That is the part I don't really buy into. In the cases I have seen, its been about even.. some days the jig fisherman catches more and some days I do with a more traditional rig. I think being confident in your setup and presentation has a lot to do with success and if you're having more fun with the jigs than by all means fish them as tht is what we are supposed to be doing out thereup

I had 3 rods set-up. I was the angler conducting the experiment. As well as my partner. We are not novices. On this day, 27-29' of water, slow tide, the jig out fished the "norm" set-ups. No doubt, no question. Now, do not get me wrong, I know every method has a time and a place. Try it

ericg

posted 10/15/2010 04:16 PM  

on a side note im sure there will be days when the fish want to chew the greens, then green females, greens cut in half etc,you know the flavor of the day so to speeak, i am an avid bass and blues guy,most think blues will chew anything in front of them, and some days thats true but some not, than when u find what they want one color will rule, but only for that day, the next they want something different in a different color, depends on whats in the water for bait, tint etc,grouptheopy, john from tidaltails was talking about you this morning, he got your pic and was proud you learned his technique, he put it up on his website....eric grant

ericg

posted 10/15/2010 04:35 PM  

i had a little pow wow with john from tidaltales this morning for a quick lesson ,and he mentioned all the tips you guys were mentioning, one that was not mentioned and should be was the fact that a homer rhodes loop knot is nessesary when tying the jig on because the jig needs to swivel around on the bottom of the line, when u lift the rod tip it changes the angle of the hook from a sideways facing hook to a upward facing hook to stick the fish in a good spot, he says that some of the biggesst fish have come from the larger jigs, and fishing in over 30 feet of water switch from asians to quarter cut greens,he mentions to keep them away from the wrecks...or he will soon become a fortune 500 company....talked to my tog buddies in the shb this morning some of the sharpest tog guys aroung without a doubt, and they said keep it, they will fish conventional and consistantly catch quanity and quality larger fish and theyre right so its anyones ballgame i would have to say...

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Jump to:  

2022 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.