Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

A $1500 Mistake-Never Again!

Discussion Boards > Offshore
bigmahi

posted 10/06/2013 02:01 PM  

A $1500 mistake. Never Again.

The fog was pretty thick as we made our way under the Ponquogue Bridge 3:35 am Saturday morning. Our tuna target area was the shelf between the Fishtails and W. Atlantis. Why? Because the reports have been sketchy, scattered and few over the past several days. Cold 66 degree water was spread out from Montauk to the Hudson so why work that water. Bossman decided to look at the leading edge of the new water coming in from the East, and besides it was 20 miles closer that the Hudson. For a day trip that is two hours of fishing time. Rather have that window fishing than running.
So, we motored slowly from Shinnecock Inlet towards the edge and what seemed like an eternity we finally got daylight and opened her up.
We reached 66 degree water, which was surprisingly blue many miles before the temp break of 71 degrees. So, with all hands eager to get to work we deployed the spread and hoped for a quick blast. Minutes past but nothing. We wondered if we made a good choice since nothing came tight and not one boat is sight. As we began to share disappointing thoughts, bam, outrigger goes off. Two LF on, one brought to the boat. Seemed like a nice fish. However, a lot smaller when gaffed. Decent longfin. I forgot that every time we go out, the first fish always feels like twice the size! But hey, the skunk was off, and we cheered up immediately.
After trolling the area for a while nothing else happened so we decided to work SSE to deeper water. The temp began to rise and soon we were in the 71 degree zone. Shortly we get a three banger. Lots of Chinese drill maneuver s and we got deck cleared and landed a couple more LF. Within minutes we have deck sprayed clean and once again deploy lines. We are now marking nice fish at 450 feet. Damn, are these bigeyes? Got to get them up we all agree. Captain Stan is doing the Barta bigeye dance, gunning and slowing and making “S’ turns to engage these deep marauders. Nothing. OK, we begin to swear at the sea gods and we are not getting one fish to zoom to the surface lures. All of a sudden we get another three banger. Port side one fish; starboard side 2 fish on. Starboard fish one unbuttons. The all of a sudden like a hand from heaven the shotgun rod is lifted clear out of the holder and flies up to the outrigger. Both Stan and I watch with our mouths open as it pauses for a second 15 feet high in mid air then makes a quick huge splash and disappears into the blue off the stern of the boat. WTF! Bossman starts to swear like a pirate and we all are in a startled state of mind. Wow. Never saw that coming. But we did not have more than a minute to brood but continued to bring in lines from the port side and get in the remaining fish. With speed we rushed and got the albie into the boat but damn, that bar is tangled with another bar. Where did that happen? That can happened when trolling 10 bars when fish hit. But we want to both forget the loss of the $1500 rod and reel and focus on getting the lines back in. But first we have to hand line in the rest of the mono from the other tangled bar. Hand-over-hand Nick and Brian bring in the line but then Bossman takes over. He thinks there may be a fish on the other end. Wrong. As he pulls the end of the line closer we see color. Gold. Yes Gold. The color of the International 80 that went for a swim minutes earlier. Can you believe it? No lie. There was the jettisoned rod at the end of the other bar! How the hell did that happen? Well, you can imagine the yelps of surprise and awe and we could not believe it. That was certainly going to be the best catch of the day.
So, we again got to work, and got another three hook-up. Landed one; lost another and had the third one on. As I said, they always seem bigger. And this one was. I had to shot of taking her in from the rear rod holder. After 10 minutes of a good fight, well.. you can imagine the rest. Tell you that story another time.

Anyway, trip ended 5/10 on LF to 40lbs. Great 37 knot fast ride home and we all laughed, and busted chops on a great day on the water with Ed, Stan, Breadman, Brian, Nick and myself.

Moral of story. You got it. Use safety lines. You never can tell what will happen out there. Don’t assume you will luck out like we did. Tight lines!

bigmahi

This post edited by bigmahi 06:55 PM 10/06/2013

lowlands

posted 10/06/2013 05:03 PM  

Saw that happen on a charter once. Captain set the line himself from the bridge on center rigger go he had nobody to blame, but the mate and us of course. ***** wanted to add a surcharge to the trip. Told him where to go in no uncertain terms. Wink

But now everything gets a leash. Everything.

Congrat on getting the gear back!

treypescatorie

posted 10/06/2013 06:44 PM  

Brian, didn't know that you were a fisherman. Sorry you guys didnt make the playoffs!

bigmahi

posted 10/06/2013 06:55 PM  

One thing, he was on the ball on the boat!
Lol

bigmahi

mojoe

posted 10/06/2013 07:21 PM  

good for you getting it back,,WOW,,all stay well ><(((:> ~~~~ ><((((::>

EAT FISH AND LIVE LONGER!!!

bigmahi

posted 10/06/2013 07:23 PM  

Lucky we had our MoJoe on!

bigmahi

Q U SOLDIER

posted 10/07/2013 08:52 AM  

We hit the same area on Wednesday nite. We found a good temp break and worked it through the nite on the chunk. I dunno if that was a good idea I only chunked in a canyon structure. But the shelf in between is structure also I guess. Plenty of squid right away. Nothing but a shark very early in the morning. In the troll ... Heading towards west Atlantis. We had nothing for about 2 hrs of trolling. About 6 miles away we hit a wahoo. The. Later on in the day we hit long fins up on the tip of west Atlantis could of sunked the boat with them if we wanted. After we had enough of them we decided to Mahi fish and head back in.

Get Fish or Die Trying!!

This post edited by Q U SOLDIER 08:55 AM 10/07/2013

bigmahi

posted 10/07/2013 09:10 AM  

Always good to get them in the end of a trip. Going home skunked is like finding a bag of poop on your doorstep.
Interesting year. First lots of bigeyes, then lots of swords, really lot of longfin seperate from the bigeye,and now more wahoo than I have heard over the years.
Strange year. Not as many bluefin as the years past either.
Some will say that Sandy did it, but don't think that.
I think some subtle changes in the way the Gulf Stream is interacting with other variables of which there are many I really don't understand.
Funny to hear some guys actually complain of "another" longfin. LOL

bigmahi

Q U SOLDIER

posted 10/08/2013 01:29 PM  

I guess we got spoiled with the long fin this year. We always came back with plenty and only took what we wanted only.... We would troll away from them to look for something else.... I think fresh grilled lf is awesome. But there's so much you can eat fresh and so little time to get it to friends and family to eat fresh. I got a good amount frozen and will fit em in my diet In between my favorite fish to eat... Blackfish.
Sushi grade tuna is what I love! And u can never have too much tar tar!
We didn't get into any big eyes and we were right on the thick of it twice! We didn't have a few lures we have now that I wish we did. During that madness! Only one 35 lb yellow to show for the half dozen trips we took out there.
And you say bluefin was slow? I guess that coimbra shot was good but it gets better? And more spread out I guess .....

Get Fish or Die Trying!!

mojoe

posted 10/08/2013 05:01 PM  

ShadesShadesShades up,, mojoe on Wink,,,,><((((:> ~~~~ ><(((:>

EAT FISH AND LIVE LONGER!!!

bigmahi

posted 10/08/2013 05:59 PM  

Coimbra was hot for a bit bit not like before. Season coming to end so not sure.

bigmahi

hardcore

posted 10/08/2013 07:20 PM  

I wouldn't right the bluefin out yet, now is when them larger school size fish show up. I also have a feeling about how them.water has been moving that this will be one of those years that's them yellowfin maybe stick around until end of november december.

Hardcore Fishing Charters
31' Duffy "MORNING STAR"  
1-4 Person
Captain Vin

bigmahi

posted 10/08/2013 08:48 PM  

If the eddys keep on coming then the YF will follow.

As far as bluefins whos knows. They are around until December but almost no one I know actually goes to find them.

We had one of the best bluefin nights ever several years ago at Toms Canyon. Amazing night there on Thanksgiving weekend.

bigmahi

Q U SOLDIER

posted 10/09/2013 01:52 PM  

Bigmahi. Did you see any pilot whales out there that day? We did run into them two or three times but we didn't stick around to see what's up... We just headed straight for the canyon right along the edge. I wonder if we should of stayed with them for a little while longer.

Get Fish or Die Trying!!

BobWheeler

posted 10/27/2013 11:04 AM  

spread

I would assume any decent size boat would run some spreader bars --- and I'm no expert --- 3 or 5 would seem reasonable --- 10 seems like a bit much --- and unnecessarily complicated --- If I were setting out the spread --- at least 5 with meat Joe Shute B/W --- and in that mix a special B&W JS designed by Ross Dale --- that lure this season has outfished everything almost 10 to 1 --- everything from Marlin to Mahi.
PM for details about trolling lureSmile

This post edited by BobWheeler 11:56 AM 10/27/2013

Discussion Boards > Offshore  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.