Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

The Legend of "Loch Nessy" aka "The One Eyed Monster"

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing
DoctorFish

posted 08/20/2003 12:42 AM  

(No, not that one-eyed monster Wink ).

Just in case you missed my good friend Wader's fishing report from last Friday, here it is again so you can be up-to-speed with this story...
quote:

Around 10:15 - 10:30 the moon (beautiful - nice & full & red) came up over the treeline on the Nissequoge side casting a swatch of orange moon light onto the water.

Thinkin' "It doesn't get any better then this" - I tossed the eel into the water lit up by the moon.

BAM.....

The rod doubled over & I had a screaming run-off. I left it in free spool for the obilgatory 5 seconds then slamed the drag home (Shimano BaitRunner). The run off continued. I cranked the drag up as far as I dared. I was only fishing 14 # Fireline. The line continued to fly off the spool & there was nothing I could do about it.

I'm standing there thinking "I'm gonna get spooled". This had to be the trophy bass I've been waiting for or at the very least the biggest bass I've ever hooked in the river.

The 125 yards of Fireline dissappeared into the dark & I was now into the mono backing.

Guess that knot I tied to hold the two together worked after all.

As I begin to see the spool through the mono - she stops. Tired? Don't know what from - I sure wasn't offering any resistence.

I began to crank back - taking in some line. Got about 30 feet back in & there is a large splash about I don't know - 100 feet to my right. She flashed her tail - dove & the line began paying out again.

Saying & thinking F*** It - I yanked as hard as I could trying to somehow turn her. The was a moment of give on her part & then PLINK - the hook pulled free.

Retrieved the eel - yes still on there & still alive. A little worse for the wear & tear.

Tossed it back in in the general location I last thought she might be just to see if she was still interested.

2 minutes later a repeat - the train begins leaving the station again - another run off - same strenght. I have to assume the same fish.

I'm now well more then waist deep in the Nessy with the current picking up from the incoming "playing" with this fish - or was she playing with me?

As I got close to being completed spooled - there is a tug & the line goes slack.

This time she got her meal. The eel was gone when I finally got my line back.

Beware - there's a monster on the loose.

Here is the link to that report if you'd like to read or add to the comments; Nissequogue River

What Wader doesn't know is that there really is a resident bass in the river that is so big that she has earned the reputation as Loch Nessy. Some of the locals on the river gave her the nickname "the one-eyed monster" because she is a 50"+ bass who only has ONE EYE.

I first learned about the One Eye Loch Nessy from my friend Paul. Before he passed away, Paul spent five to seven days a week fishing the river and adjacent beaches. The summer before he passed away, he was literally living on the river spending the nights in the cabin of his son's lobster boat and the days fishing the river on his Carolina skiff. If a "Loch Nessy" existed, he would be the one person who would have known.

According to Paul, the one-eyed monster is a large cow bass who spends most of the year in the river. She is one of the few bass who actually spawn here and she spends winter months in the deepest holes within the river and the summer months feeding on the
river's huge green crab and shad populations.

Legend has it that she was once part of a large population of cow bass who called the river their home. But following the collapse of the river's eel, adult bunker and blue claw crab populations, she was the only one who took a liking to shad and green crabs. (Not sure how true this part is. -I didn't make this stuff up, I'm just relaying what I was told).

Anyway, she also took a liking to eating small spearing causing her to be hooked more than a dozen times every summer by mostly children while they are snapper fishing. Some watch with amazement while their reels get spooled. Others hold on for their lives as their lines eventually snap under that incredible strength Wader has described for us.

According to the story, she is not a true monster in the sense that she can't be caught. That is how it is known that she has only one eye. If you speak with enough residents along the river you'll learn that she is hooked and released several times every year. The funny part about this part of the story is that she is usually only landed by those who rarely fish the river. People like Wader and myself hook and fight her but never seem to actually land her.

Over the years, I lost two fish that very well could have been Loch Nessy. The first one towed my 12 foot river boat from San Remo to the bluff on an INCOMING TIDE (against the current) until she finally spit the hook. The second one hit while I was snapper fishing with my son. It spooled his entire reel and never looked back.

Last summer a kid up the block had his cousin and aunt from Italy living with him for a few weeks. The two kids tell a great story about how they caught and released a monster-sized fish while they were fluke fishing the incoming tide right in front of Wader's favorite fishing hole with squid/spearing. They let it go because it only had ONE EYE and they were afraid that their parents wouldn't let anyone eat it because they might have thought that the fish had cancer or another illness!

Odd as it seems, this isn't the first time that someone on Noreast.com has written about the "One-Eyed Lock Nessy ". Read this fishing report posted on 10/11/01 by a member named "Drifter". He writes about a 48" ONE EYED bass that he released in the river. Perhaps she uses magical powers to cast a spell on any angler who catches her to release her immediately!

One eyed wonder cow

P.S. -I forgot to add that she ONLY feeds on the incoming tide. No one has ever claimed to have hooked her on any part of the tide other than the INCOMING!

(This post edited by DoctorFish on 08/20/2003)

wader

posted 08/20/2003 12:40 PM  

AH - NOTHING LIKE A LITTLE VINDICATION

Pretty much figured everyone (including the wife) was thinking
"Another one that got away story".

This did happen as I stated it. Gonna go looking for "Mr. One-Eye" again this Friday. I'm bringing the bigger gear though.

Thanks Doc

"....inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened??"

daShark

posted 08/20/2003 03:53 PM  

I love this story Smile

GF 2 All Wink

DoctorFish

posted 08/20/2003 08:28 PM  

quote:

AH - NOTHING LIKE A LITTLE VINDICATION

Pretty much figured everyone (including the wife) was thinking
"Another one that got away story".

This did happen as I stated it. Gonna go looking for "Mr. One-Eye" again this Friday. I'm bringing the bigger gear though.

Thanks Doc

Vindication is indeed a good thing.

You are very welcome. When you finally land her, be sure to have your camera handy because we all would love to catch a glimpse. I am confident that if anyone can whip her it will be you.

jYm11

posted 08/20/2003 09:01 PM  

boy do i wanna take off work in search of the monster....lol

Makoman16

posted 08/20/2003 09:57 PM  

Take the camera....

Indeed ~ after you catch her ~ take a nice photo, and then release her so that others can chase the dream!

You can't just beat a team, you have to leave a lasting impression in their minds so they never want to see you again. Mia Hamm

LIbodyboarder

posted 08/20/2003 11:13 PM  

awesome-ness!!!!!!

about 8 years ago when i was a kid(yeah i know still am) ,my pops rented a canoe at old dock road (i think) for a fishing trip in the river. i hooked into a cow or monster that spooled me and drag the canoe around alittle! the thing ended up taking a turn around a grass patch and my line cut in the weed i guess. but i wish i could have seen its one eye! there weird part was i hooked it and many other blues and bass in the little grassy areas in the brown water? i think i was early summer cuz i use a bomber that looked like a rainbow trout (wich i think the river was stocked with).

i also think that was the biggest thing i ever hooked into. it made a wake as it towed us! i was probly using 20lb fireline.

loonzter

posted 08/21/2003 08:16 AM  

I hear the DEC is looking for large 'Bass heads' to help studies of growth patterns etc. I hope Nessy can keep her head for many years to come!

SmithtownJoe

posted 08/21/2003 09:13 AM  

OK Doc, if I'm ever lucky enough to land a 48" cow with one eye she's going back in the drink to continue the ledgend. However, if she has two good eyes......Dinnertime!
Great story.
-SmithtownJoe-

wader

posted 08/22/2003 10:13 AM  

Doc - that was my intention - to release her. Have been bringing the digital camera with me as of late.
Figured if I ever got "Nessie" to the beach I'd photgragh her, take a rough measurement & send her back.

Always follow these three rules when fishing:
1.) don't take any bass under 30 inches
2.) don't take any bass regardless of size if I've already got fillets in the freezer - which I do
3.) if I hook into anything in the river that's big enough to either nearly spool me & manages to - it deserves to get away.

THE HUNT RESUMES TONIGHT!!!

(This post edited by wader on 08/22/2003)

"....inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened??"

DoctorFish

posted 08/22/2003 10:56 AM  

quote:

Always follow these three rules when fishing:
1.) don't take any bass under 30 inches
2.) don't take any bass regardless of size if I've already got fillets in the freezer - which I do
3.) if I hook into anything in the river that's big enough to either nearly spool me & manages to - it deserves to get away.

I LOVE THESE RULES.

HungryJack

posted 08/22/2003 11:18 AM  

"don't take any bass under 30 inches "

What is so negative about keeping Bass in the 28-30" size slot ?

Or what is so positive about keeping the larger breeding size fish and releasing the smaller sized fish ?

wader

posted 08/22/2003 01:37 PM  

Nothing in particular - these are just my own self-set limits. I have similar limits for other species as well such as Fluke - nothing under 20 inches.
Seems I hook more 28 to 30 bass then 30 on up. So I let the smaller guys go.

Personally - I would have liked to see the regulation guys leave the bass size limit at 36 inches.

As far as the larger breeding stock keep comment....

See Rule # 2.
If I've got "meat" in the freezer I don't keep any thing I catch.
I don't believe in keeping every legal size fish I land - you can only eat so much bass. I have a family of three & a 30 plus inch bass will give us at least 2 meals. We generally only eat fish once a week so this is two weeks worth of meals. If I start keeping every fish I simply end up throwing out those fillets that ended up sitting in the freezer for several months.
I also don't believe in feeding the neighborhood.
Sure I'll share occasionally with a neighbor or two who I know likes bass but that's only if I've ended up with a little too much fish because I felt obliged to take the occasional bass that I gut hooked but would rather have released because it fell under that # 2 rule.

So you see - I do release a fair amount of the 30 plus inch fish that I land. You gotta see the look on the faces of any fellow anglers that maybe fishing near me as I let that 36 incher go.

In addition health experts recommend that you do not eat more the 1/2 pound of linesider per month. This due to possible high levels of PCB contamination.
I'm already violating that recommendation by consuming bass once a week.

Hope this answers your question...

(This post edited by wader on 08/22/2003)

wader

posted 07/28/2004 09:34 AM  

BUMP

because I just came across this looking for something else & thought it a good mid summer read

SORTIE

posted 07/28/2004 11:45 AM  

an interesting story, but...

...how in the world would a fish survive after spooling 150 yds of line (multiple times)and having that much line trailing out of its mouth? and, if so many have hooked her, she must have quite the collection of metal in her gullet...

i want to see the pictures on this site...

Doubting Thomas

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

Discussion Boards > LI Sound Fishing Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.