Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Fresh Water Fishing In Staten Island

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Discussion Boards > Freshwater Forum
dcinig1

posted 01/31/2006 12:07 PM  

I just moved to Staten Island and wanted to know if anyone ever tried fishing the lakes and ponds here or had any info. Thanks.

Rodwinder
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods

posted 02/06/2006 05:41 PM  

try posting here www.nybass.com

Rodwinder on Facebook

V.I.S. Imaging, Ltd.

hookset777

posted 02/09/2006 09:07 AM  

bradys pond on fingerboard road is a great pond nice bass pickeral / i fished it for 5 years
clove lake on clove road is good /silver lake res up the road from clove lake is good
wolfs pond in tottenville is good
there is also a cub scout camp called pouch camp /excellant fishing but they only give out a certain amount of passes a year /you have to get there the day they distribute them which i dont remember /i think in feb sometime /its up in the sticks near the old staten island college /cant remember the road / i moved back to queens 8 years ago / but there is great fishing in staten island from the lakes

"Born to fish forced to work "

dcinig1

posted 02/09/2006 12:01 PM  

Fresh Water Fishing in Staten Island

Thanks for the info Hookset - I guess i'll try them all out and see which i like the best. Does Brady's hold larger fish? I'm asking only because you seemed to like that one the best. What did you find worked the best - spinner baits, plastics, crank baits?

hookset777

posted 02/11/2006 07:29 AM  

yes my biggest was out of bradys pond with a 6lber/ i caught it with a texas rigged powerbait rubber worm <black>
ps silver lake is a resivour <bad spell> and has huge bass i seen cruising and great for crankbaiting /just be carefull at night /people have been robbed and one time a body was found in there just before i was gonna move to the spot it was found <what a fishing tale that wouldve been>lol /but during the day its ok because there is a lot of walkers and runners /
once i saw what looked like a 8lb bass cruising on the smaller end of the resiviour and it looked at least 8lbs it was huge
also i have caught bass at bradys in winter time slow rolling a white spinnerbait on bottom as slow as possable without it tipiing / once you feel like you snagged set the hook / my favorite spot was way in the back along the service road near the yellow house with the tennis courts theres a nice batch of lillypads just a cast away /i pulled alot of bass out of that patch and near it / 2nd is near the drain pipeon that same side of the pond /but overall the whole pond is good /you can fish brady pond off of clove road too /its a little side street near the clove road train statoin /if you fish saltwater ill tell you a awsome spot not many people know about that has big stripers and very secluded / your left alone
pm me for that
good luck
(This post edited by hookset777 on 02/11/2006)

gfishermanMTKPT

posted 02/12/2006 08:01 PM  

hello hookset,i been fishing S.I. for over 20 yrs.for myself, i have a honeyhole of my own that produces bass up to 8 lbs and at least a 4or 5 lber 90%of the time i fish there.the places that they told you are very productive,bradys,silverlake,proctor&gamble...i have no doubt that you can raise these fish cause they are there.i start fishing in late april,early may for the spring spawning.i have pics of my 8lber here and a pic of a 5 or so lber at scags.last i saw it was on the corkboard.if you see the pic and know S.I.fishing you may get the location.pm me if you are interested in the spawning time.waders and good balance a must.

hookset777

posted 02/13/2006 05:18 AM  

hi gfisherman
it wasnt me asking for the info it was DCINIG but i thank you for the offer / i have moved back to queens now so i dont get to fish staten island anymore /unless i go back to my saltwater hole in tottenville / i have fished procter and gamble also and there is some nice fish in there / only thing is that the ticks in the summer time are so abundant i never left therre without 10 or more on me so i didnt fish there that much / do you know about pouch camp ? if you are a 20yr resident you probably heard of it / if so try it out and get a pass its great fishing /

dcinig1

posted 02/13/2006 12:08 PM  

All this info is great. Being new to the Island - this will definitely help. I moved here from LI so I still have to find where some of these places are. Where is this Proctor and Gamble place I read about? Is it on SI?

gfishermanMTKPT

posted 02/14/2006 10:04 PM  

yeah man, lots of ticks and mosquitos and only when my normal fishing place is not, actually it NEVER stops producing.i just like to test the different waters.i wish i could protect this fishing spot of mine.it was hurt very badly last season because on top of this place they poured lots of foundations and the rain with all the cement runoff along with the overdosing of salt on the streets there lots of fatalities.all in all this place will heal itself for it has been there for a good hundred years i know of from my grandparents at least.sometimes a hawk comes by early in the morning when i'm fishing and it circles for a good 45 minutes and then this giant bird comes roaring down and swipes a good 2-4 lb bass.man it's heartstopping.anyways,i still hope not many people fish this place.i've been fishing there for 23yrs.i'm a wader fisherman and i've watched year after year all the baby schools of largemouth bass swim by me and then the bigger ones feeding on them with the occasional pickeral zoomin in on the action.also all the families of crappies and how they try to sneek in on a spawning bass' hole.i don't count out the catfish also.may sound wierd but they only bite on how the moon was the night before(all on topwater).they bite only a couple of times a year for me.always a surprise.hate handling them,all brown and slimy.can't wait to go fishing!oh pc is at the end of rich.terr.

(This post edited by gfishermanMTKPT on 02/14/2006)

dcinig1

posted 02/16/2006 09:09 AM  

I found 2 other lakes on a map of Staten Island. Ohrback Lake and Arbutus Lake - has anyone ever fished these?

hookset777

posted 02/16/2006 10:10 AM  

ooopps i accidently clicked on report when i went to send a message at you dcinig sorry ///
as for my reply
i think one of those lakes is in great kills /if it is one of them it is only a small puddle and has no fish in it /i think its orback/ but i could be wrong // if i am and you fish them please let me know how you do / ive never fished them //there is another small lake up the road from grasmere train statoin called crocheron pond /small bass but not to bad with quantity / huge snapper turtles /saw one coming out of the mud one early spring and it was bigger than a manhole cover /scared the hell outta me //
actually now that i think about it dcinig /orbach lake is up in the sticks near that camp i mentioned earlier / actually it might even be the lake that gives the passes /i think it is orback lake / if you go there and its a boyscout camp / ask about the passes and get one you wont regret it

hookset777

posted 02/16/2006 10:26 AM  

quick note dcinig / wolfs pond is good fishing and you can do saltwater near it because its right on the beach /so if you ever wanna do saltwater and freshwater without driving to ether its a great location /only thing is you would have to use waders on the beach there
its of hylan blvd way at the south end of the island towards the conference house

dcinig1

posted 02/16/2006 11:12 AM  

Arbutus Lake is on the north end of Wolf's Park and Ohrback lake is in the middle of the island - off manor Road by the High Rock Park Conservation Center. It looks like it is out in the sticks according to the map.

I know where Wolf's is - your right about doing both fresh and salt there. I do a lot of salt water fishing as it is - i find the fresh side more relaxing - especially with light tackle.

If we get a warm spell I'm definitely going to hit Brady's - I'm not that far from it.

Is there anywhere I can find water depths or maps of these lakes?

hookset777

posted 02/16/2006 12:19 PM  

im 90%sure orbach is the pouch camp lake cause it is off manor road yes / i couldnt remember the street / as for the maps i dont know but you can try city hall /or try this /WWW.MAPTECH.COM GO TO ONLINE MAPS AND THEN PUNCH IN STATEN ISLAND /ITS JUST LIKE MAPQUEST BUT FOR THE WATER /
i like the freshwater too like you / more relaxing and serene and theres nothing like a big bucket mouth on the line
ps /on that spot i told you about near theyellow house and tennis courts in the back of bradys i know its about ten ft deep /you can tell by the very sloped rocks on the edge of bank /that whole side is a great winter spot /slow roll white spinners /
and now that you mentioned arbutus i have seen people parked on hylan blvd and fishing in there but i only did once / it wasnt so big then maybe dry at that time
let me know if ya get any lunkkers maybe ill take a try like old times // would bring back memories at brady /i lived in walking distance from brady pond on sand lane

surfcast how is pouch camp doing ? any good catches ?

This post edited by hookset777 10:55 AM 04/28/2006

Discussion Boards > Freshwater Forum Page  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.