Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Rav4 or CR-V

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
FishnLax7

posted 07/10/2011 09:59 PM  

Wanted to see if anyone here (I know MP is one), has one of these cars and if they use them as a buggie and take them on the beach. More specifically I would love to hear if anyone has taken either on Burma Road. I am in the market for a new car, and would like to go the Rav 4 route if I can get away with it, simply for the great fuel efficiency. Especially considering I cover some serious ground during the year and this will be mainly a fishing car. I am very aware it wont be a jeep or a pick up on the beach, but I am hoping it will suffice and the extra 10 mpg on the way to and from spots will make me very happy!

ArtemNY

posted 07/10/2011 11:22 PM  

I drive crv 08. I was taking it on sand last year 3 times a week. It was performing well till I got on a soft sand for the first time, the car just stopped moving and I had to work really really hard to get it back on wet sand to get out of there. In conclusion, CRV is a good car, I think it's waaaay better thn Rav but it SUCKS on soft sand. However, it performs superior in deep snow and ice, even better thn some all time 4x4s. Rav will do better job on sand but I'd still go with something bigger. I know for sure what will be my next car. Either Tacoma or 4Runner.

Good luck!

==O==============
Striper wars

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 07/10/2011 11:33 PM  

Hi Tom. Seriously, I wouldn't take either out on Burma. Neither of those can handle what that road dishes out. The S-turns just past Cut 2 would swallow them whole, as they don't have the clearance to navigate through them when they're cut up bad, which is most of the time. AWD would be sketchy there also.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

FishnLax7

posted 07/10/2011 11:51 PM  

Rich,

I know that is my major concern with these. It seems as though they do have the 4wd option so it is not awd which is standard. But the clearance was my main concern. I was not worried about anywhere else, but as you know Burma is a completely different story. I really wanted to try to go with something a little more fuel efficient if possible, but I am afraid that won't be an option. I simply couldn't bring myself to stop fishing the west side....

FishnLax7

posted 07/10/2011 11:54 PM  

Artem,

I obviously assume you were aired down, and what did you mean by soft sand? Where you out of a pre worn track or simply on fresh soft untredded sand?

Also, what makes you say the rav4 sucks? Any personal experience? From the research I have done it seems like the rav4 offers more clearance, and optional skid plates, as well as optional 4wd instead of 2wd.

Thanks

ArtemNY

posted 07/11/2011 12:33 AM  

FishnLax7 wrote:

Artem,

I obviously assume you were aired down, and what did you mean by soft sand? Where you out of a pre worn track or simply on fresh soft untredded sand?

Also, what makes you say the rav4 sucks? Any personal experience? From the research I have done it seems like the rav4 offers more clearance, and optional skid plates, as well as optional 4wd instead of 2wd.

Thanks

I didn't say rav sucks. I said srv sucks in deep soft sand Smile

No I wasn't aired down. Wrong? Yes, I know! But it has no clearance for deep sand even with inflated tires. Mad

==O==============
Striper wars

srfshr

posted 07/11/2011 08:56 AM  

I have a Rav4 but don't drive on sand so I can't help you there. It is however big enough to fit a 10' one piece rod safely inside. A major plus for me as I almost always have a rod in the car.

ratherBfishing

posted 07/11/2011 09:27 AM  

I don't have either but I do own a 06 Suzuki grand vitara. An it handles very well on the beach, even on the soft stuff. Scraping is a little bit of a issue, but other than that it's great

MatthewPaul
Noreast.com Club Member

Events, Seminars, & Tournaments
Surf Fishing Forum

posted 07/11/2011 10:16 PM  

A great buggy, BUT...

I've been using my 2000 V on the beach for 4 years. It has faired well on every NY beach (Breezy, Demo, MTK). Aired down to 15# it has driven better than Chevy pick ups and Ford Explorers. FYI: It comes standard with MORE ground clearance than an Explorer. Plus, I have a 2" lift kit on it.

That being said, however, I would definitely NOT recommend it for Burma or the North Side of MTK going toward Stepping Stones. But all said, it's a great vehicle.

LIBBA #1194

"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."    ~"Brain Damage," Dark Side of the Moon, Roger Waters, Pink Floyd

"SOLVITUR AMBULANDO: It is solved by walking."  ~Saint Augustine

This post edited by MatthewPaul 07:14 AM 07/12/2011

FishnLax7

posted 07/11/2011 10:24 PM  

Matt,

Thanks sorry for not getting in touch with you today. I will give you a shout so we can discuss further. Thank you for your input!

T

DrifterNY

posted 07/11/2011 11:30 PM  

Neither... Buy a real truckToungueSmileShades

Sudss

posted 07/12/2011 08:49 AM  

upup
DrifterNY wrote:

Neither... Buy a real truckToungueSmileShades

likeitreallyis

posted 07/12/2011 10:24 AM  

neither or bring someone with a real truck to tow you out

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

phenom3x16

posted 07/13/2011 05:26 PM  

Rav 4!

In my opinion, it depends on engine power, the type of tire you have, condition of the sand, how much you air down.

I think the Rave4 V6 Sport edition w/ BF Goodrich tires will be more then enough for the dunes.

I rented the new Grand Cherokee to go up to Adirondacks the past winter to go Skiing (Whiteface Mtn) Man, its the smoothest 4x4 i have ever been in. Its also 40g's down

...That's a fact!!!

bill

posted 07/13/2011 07:29 PM  

Ive seen both of those vehicles get stuck, perhaps more than any other. They are not for the beach.. period... if your interested in buying a beach vehicle then I would recommend getting a 4x4 that can handle all beach conditions, rooks,hard sand, soft sand, wet sand, dry sand, hills with sand, slops with sand, and a littel salt spray. Trust me you do not want to be be miles from an entrance stuck......

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide
www.SurfRatsBall.com

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.