Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Who's ready for a first class trip on a 380 airbus?

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge
freeportfrank

posted 02/06/2005 06:52 PM  

picture #1

test

(This post edited by freeportfrank on 02/06/2005)

canyonfvr

Noreast.com Website Features
The Angler's Lounge
Posted Reports
Welcome Aboard

posted 02/06/2005 08:09 PM  

i thought it was a star trek thing

its a  tiger shark A WHAAT

CANYONFVR OUT

Cornfield

GradySailfish

posted 02/07/2005 09:18 AM  

Don't want to be one of the first passengers on that bird. Bound to have some teething problems even after it passes its inspections/tests.

Some engineering feat, the plane is larger then the 747. Last year Airbus surpasses Boeing in sales.

"A true patriot supports his country always and his government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

jpd

posted 02/07/2005 09:29 AM  

That thing is massive

Wonder who is going to pay to get the terminals reconfigured so that thing can pull up to a gate? Also, I would think that only the longest runways would be able to accept it when it is fully loaded.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns." - Mario Puzo

slaterock

posted 02/07/2005 11:46 AM  

I think I read some where that Virgin airlines was interested in putting a few on their routes complete with entertainment, Gambling and sleeping quaters. The article stated you would be able to score in more than one way.

Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer

pinstriper

posted 02/07/2005 04:53 PM  

Believe it or not, Singapore Airlines bought one of the first ones. And you thought they need more American $$ to rebuild after the tsunami?

Charlie
LIBBA  #1974
MSA    #1974

newyorkcityman

posted 02/07/2005 05:22 PM  

singapore air is hands dpown the best international airline ive ever flown.
you couldn't pay me enough to go to singapore, with their wacky laws, but their airline is tops. steward/esses go through an intense training program, unlike other airlines it is a difficult position to get with singapore. they were also one 0of the first to add those personal TVs with videogames, and their food is... edible. a huge compliment for airline food. and theyre often the cheapest fare. the only bad thing i can say about singapore air is they have some nutty laws (just like their country) i remember flying with spot one time being told he would have to fly cargo, n0ot in the cabin, because there was a doctor on the flight. apparantly if a dr is on the flight no animals can be in the cabin. weird. ive heard other stranbge rules from others whove flown wirth them, but almost everyone who's tried them agrees. they rock.
ive found the worst airlines are american companies with american airlines leading (or trailing) as the worst of all time. i was just talking with someone about the cost per mile to the airlines themselves and the ones with worst service (AA, USAir, etc) all pay over 12 cents a mile, the best co.s (Singapore, jet blue, holland, etc.) all pay 8 cents or less. in other words worse svc = higher cost to the airline, better svc = lower cost. strange industry. ill go with cheap and good svc every time

im back mofos!
mike-nyc
iskateforfun (at) gmail  dot com

Gamakatsu

posted 02/07/2005 06:02 PM  

Keep in mind that labor unions have pushed the cost of doing business in this country through the roof. How can an American airline compete with less expense Asian labor? I've always liked Boeing's planes better than Airbus and they're American built. Boeing now has the 7E7 which is supposed to be a state of the art aircraft. Who the hell wants to fly on a plane and wait for 800 - 1000 people to get off? God forbid one of those things crashes.Frown

Worst passenger jet to fly on is the MD-80. It's the armpit of the domestic American fleet. Tiny seat and no leg room. No wonder MD couldn't make it.

Save fishing as we know it, join the RFA today.

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 02/08/2005 07:18 AM  

Pinstriper,
Singapore asn't affected by the Tsunami.

NYC, Mike,
I agree signapore airlines rocks. I just wish they flew more routes.

Gammy,
Jet blue is a U.S. airline. Its only the major that have union trouble and, by and large, they are owned by the employees.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

HungryJack

posted 02/08/2005 08:25 AM  

If you want to be impressed on an international flight, try
Cathay Pacific, airline from Hong Kong, IMO rivals Singapore Airline for the #1 spot, much nicer cabins and staff, especially in biz or first.

Every year the airlines get rated, there is rarely if ever an American based carrier in the top 10 Internationally. Most of the top 10 come from Asian or Pacific Rim countries.

These new large planes are designed for hub to hub transport, they will only be flying into major airports.

LA to Singapore is the longest scheduled nonstop flight in the world, 18.5 hours, thus the need/desire for Jumbo Aircraft. NY to Singapore will start this spring with a 19 hour flight.
Also the Asian aviation market is growing at a much faster rate than domestic aviation market, especially the cargo business.

HungryJack

posted 02/08/2005 08:34 AM  

Gamakatsu wrote:

How can an American airline compete with less expense Asian labor?

Gami, the cost of living in most major Asian cities such as Tokyo, Hong Kong, Taipei far exceed those of New York.

Labor is not cheaper for these airlines, they just do a better job of managing their resources and business.
Their one benefit is the robust cargo business they enjoy, adds huge profitabilty to the airline.

After you walk around some of these modern cities, you begin to think NYC is the third world.

GradySailfish

posted 02/08/2005 09:19 AM  

Cathay Pacific uses the 777 ER for it's extended range flights, alongside the 747 fleet. I guess they could use a ultra large luxury liner like the A-380. All of the above are noted for thier long range comfort.

7E7 is really nothing special. Airliner's change very little in these past 35 years...what has changed are the engines and mostly avionics. Outside a 747 from the 70's looks like a 747 from 2005...look inside the cockpit and thats where you will find the difference. Same deal with the 7E7...what is so special about it aside from avionics and in-air creature comfort? Airlines want reliabile and efficient aircraft.

Boeing is loosing out to Airbus because Airbus builds a better quality product at a cheaper price. Airlines have reported far less problems with Airbus aircraft compared to Boeing planes of the same vintage and flight frequency.

Funny you guys menitoned MD, becuase Boeing now produces the MD-80 and MD-88, MD is a part of Boeing.

Sad to hear the froggies and brits build better planes then us. This is not limited to commercial aviation. Look at military hardware as well. The $100 million dollar Raptor for example, would fair not very well against a
SU 37, Mig 1.42 or even the EFA 2000 Eurofighter, each of which are planes which cost a fraction of what the Raptor costs!

Allegedly the Raptor has Stealth characteristics and concnetrated BVR capability, but what the Boeing website does not tell you is how the new Russian made radars are so powerful they could detect and guide an A2A to smack a Raptor.

I hope our technology starts to improve!

"A true patriot supports his country always and his government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

HungryJack

posted 02/08/2005 09:50 AM  

The need for larger planes is based on the fact most airports are operating at capacity. There can only be so many flights a day, and each airline is allocated so many.
If you want/need to increase you capacity, adding additional flights is no longer an option at many airports.
Bigger planes are the only solution, much cheaper and easier than constructing new airports in metropolitan areas.
Also increased range means less need for a fuel stop on long hauls, further consuming valuable takeoff/landing spots. Direct flights are also more desirable and have higher fares than similar flights with a stop.
They also offer greater efficiency and profitability to the airlines.

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 02/08/2005 09:58 AM  

Grady,
re:"
quote:

Boeing is loosing out to Airbus because Airbus builds a better quality product at a cheaper price

They're cheaper only because of the subsidies Airbus gets from several European countries.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.