Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Eating Bunker

Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
Pascal

posted 11/14/2011 03:53 PM  

According wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menhaden#Relation_to_humans

"Menhaden were prized in America for their delicate but rich flavors in the mid 18th century. Mark Catesby (1682–1749), an English naturalist, wrote of the menhaden as an "exellent Sweet Fish, and so excessive fat that butter is never used in frying or any other preparation of them....[menhaden were] much esteemed by the Inhabitants for their delicacy."[citation needed] Colonel William Byrd II, the founder of Richmond, Virginia, commended menhaden as food fit for a gourmet writing of the menhaden as a "small, but splendid fish when it is baked." Over a century later George Brown Goode (1851–1896) praised the menhaden for its flavor, saying it is "superior in flavor to most of the common shore-fishes," and notes that menhaden sold at a "price nearly as high as that of striped bass, the favorite fish in Washington.""

Considering that lobsters were sold a nickle a barrel for fertilizer, and we take fish that were considered 'trash' fish a generation or two ago... someone try eating bunker and let the rest of us know how it goes! Wink

This post edited by Pascal 03:58 PM 11/14/2011

Peteroc317

posted 11/14/2011 04:28 PM  

Interesting info. I was at my local bait shop over the summer and a guy walked in and asked for ten bunker. He started to tell us that since he didn't catch any fish he had to bring something home to prove to his wife he was fishing. I asked what he was going to with the bunker and he said that they are great breaded and fried surprise which the thought of what the house must of smelled like almost made me gag. I tried feeding my cat one once and she wouldn't even eat it.

chawk

posted 11/14/2011 04:42 PM  

The day I bought my Chawk (about 18yrs ago), we went to Toomey's to have a celebratory beer. A guy brought in a tray of fish he just smoked and put it on bar to sample. I tried it. Was pretty good.

Yup, FIRST AND ONLY time I ate bunker!

Huntington Angler's Club
huntingtonanglers.com

emuehlbauer

posted 11/14/2011 04:51 PM  

In Peter Matthiessen's excellent book Men's Lives, he makes a reference to a woman who went out to buy a "mess of bunkers" to eat. Bunker doesn't really seem all that different from shad, in appearance of the meat. But I'll wait for all you guys to try it first.

stpaul7
BIG DOG WINNER

posted 11/14/2011 05:15 PM  

You can eat it RAW too surpriseToungueToungue

BOAT FISH COUNT  MAMA MIA FISHING

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 11/14/2011 05:31 PM  

I've seen it for sale at the Asian fish markets in Flushing. Never had the urge to try it.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

Pascal

posted 11/14/2011 05:49 PM  

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to eat bunker you wouldn't cook up what you get from your bait vendor... Frankly fresh caught bunker doesn't smell necessarily all that badly compared to bluefish or mackeral.

Pascal

posted 11/14/2011 05:56 PM  

Are you sure they were bunker??? I've seen, and eaten fish, in video below in asian markets. I looked it over for 5 minutes before eating bc they looked like small bunkers with a yellowish tail but they tasted more like sole than an oily fish.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UdID38VPnw[/youtube]
MakoMike wrote:

I've seen it for sale at the Asian fish markets in Flushing. Never had the urge to try it.

This post edited by Pascal 05:58 PM 11/14/2011

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 11/14/2011 06:38 PM  

It seems taste palates were definitely a lot different back then. I think it may have had a lot to do with the availability of food that people actually had to harvest for themselves, when they didn't have the convienence of packaged, preserved and refridgerated foods at the grocery store. When fish and game was either harvested by the consumer or purchased freshly killed at the market because it would spoil otherwise.

Menhaden being a prized food is akin to broadbill/scaup/bluebills being market hunted heavily along the South Shore for sale at markets in NYC, and now this gamey duck is considered unpalateable by many hunters today.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

ahiman

posted 11/14/2011 06:46 PM  

Gverb1219 bunker eating story

Bunker, it's not just for bait. Toungue

Tag and release for future generations

Fly Navy

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own...

CHEVY1

posted 11/14/2011 07:11 PM  

ahiman wrote:

Bunker, it's not just for bait. Toungue

Im with G-Mon, I ain't eating bunker no matter how good they make it look

I drive a jeep, but CHEVY is in my blood. libba # 1742, Striped Bass Coop.
Take more garbage than you brought with you-every time!

JC30967

posted 11/14/2011 07:13 PM  

emuehlbauer wrote:

In Peter Matthiessen's excellent book Men's Lives, he makes a reference to a woman who went out to buy a "mess of bunkers" to eat. Bunker doesn't really seem all that different from shad, in appearance of the meat. But I'll wait for all you guys to try it first.

I remember that part in that book. Just the thought of eating bunker made it stand out in my mind surprise

Somewhere in Chicago,a community is missing its organizer

emuehlbauer

posted 11/14/2011 08:16 PM  

I have seen what appear to be peanut bunker in NY Market, an Asian market on Broadway, in Elmhurst. Its possible that its gizzard shad, which is found down south and is very similar to bunker, or maybe they are alewives? They sell them pretty regularly. I haven't tried them for bait yet...but I have relied on the Asian markets for butterfish...fresher than the frozen stuff in bait shops, and it works as well as bunker, but stays on the hook better.

locaste

posted 11/14/2011 09:27 PM  

Interesting posting. We all have the right to post our personal preferences yea or na, but I've also considered the edibility of Bunker and it really should not be all too different than Shad. They are filter feeders and to my understanding consume much in the way of suspended algaes.

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.