Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

trout

Discussion Boards > Freshwater Forum
surfcastwitt

posted 11/15/2013 06:53 PM  

i tried fishing twin pond in centerport the other day and caught no trout. i tried power bait,spinners, gulp corn and night crawlers
any suggestions on how to catch more trout?

ss86fish

posted 11/16/2013 11:08 AM  

You did all the right things- maybe try a gold phoebie spoon, or blue/silver, in a phoebie or Kastmaster. Gold kastmaster also. My best luck spinning for trout has been on spoons.

fishfinder13

posted 11/19/2013 07:18 PM  

Try fishing under the grate where there is the most moving water. Ive found that any trout that hold over in there or after the fish have been stocked for awhile they seem to congregate right in that moving water.

??

Beachglass

posted 11/19/2013 08:15 PM  

Trout time !

I simply know nothing about that area as I'm on the South Shore,(Bellport).

However, there is no better advice than ss86fish and fishfinder 13 offered...
Now that the Fall surf focus is shifting down we can turn more toward the trout, they being cold water fish.
Each year it takes a bit of my doing "homework", getting to re-know a spot or two, but if I lower my expectations for a few trips, eventually, my mindset gets back into gear and I begin to connect.
Keep going there... It'll happen for you.

Rube

I survived Roe v. Wade

iEatClams

posted 11/20/2013 10:10 AM  

Or if you can, head to Jersey.Smile

It's worth it...

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." - Tony Blake

fishyhands

posted 11/20/2013 02:39 PM  

Once word gets out a specific body of water gets stocked, it's only a matter of time before they get wiped out. Having so many fishermen live in a small space with so few possiblities makes it inevitable. I start with flies but if I want to be SURE, I'll whip out a small Mepps Aglia on a spinning rig using very LIGHT line. It is essential to go light on the line! (depending on the weed and size of the other fish, I aim for 4 lb test in Nassau or W. Suffolk) The survivors learn quick. Also, I swap out the treble with a single dressed hook, many places around here are sporting some nice pickerel and pics and trebles don't mix, unless you want to kill them.

SS86 is dead on, spoons also are great too up

surfcastwitt

posted 11/20/2013 03:14 PM  

thanks for all the replies
i will be sure to try spoons!SmileSmileSmile

iEatClams

posted 11/20/2013 04:14 PM  

I use Rapala CD-3s, Yo-Zuri Pins Minnows, Challenger brand plugs, and 1/16 to 3/32 black, olive, or brown marabou jigs. I'll even drift a bead-head woolly bugger under a light indicator to nab finicky fish. But again, this is in Jersey...

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." - Tony Blake

flounderjoe

posted 11/20/2013 11:10 PM  

TROUT MAGNETS. Flourocarbon leader and 4lb test at most 2lb is better.When the water gets really cold stick to bait.Mealworms and wax worms is all you should need .oh and dont forget to release some they make the long winter a little shorter...

iEatClams

posted 11/21/2013 10:38 AM  

flounderjoe wrote:

TROUT MAGNETS. Flourocarbon leader and 4lb test at most 2lb is better.When the water gets really cold stick to bait.Mealworms and wax worms is all you should need .oh and dont forget to release some they make the long winter a little shorter...

I never had much luck with them. I wind up using then for crappies in the spring. If it gets real slow, I drift pink garlic salmon eggs--it's deadly on fat rainbows. They can't resist--neither can the browns.

And I forego the mealies and waxies--BUTTERWORMS!

iEatClams

posted 11/27/2013 10:11 PM  

had some yesterday

hit a NJ river yesterday with a friend, We had 11 fish between the two of us. Brookies, browns, and rainbows. The variety worked for me. Plugs, eggs, etc. Here's a couple shots.

Discussion Boards > Freshwater Forum  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.