Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

sealing a hole in fiberglass wall

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
morgs

posted 03/18/2005 05:40 PM  

hey guys

I'm putting a radio in my boat. I cut a hole in a fiberglass wall between the helm and cabin to flush mount it. The wall is about an inch think with some sort of plywood or press board core. I want to seal that exposed wood in case water makes its way down in there. Do you guys know what I can use to do this? Maybe a type of epoxy, have any recommendations?

Thanks

-Trav

leakyrivot

posted 03/18/2005 05:49 PM  

Go to Home Depot in the section where they keep the glues/caulks. You will find loctite 2 part epoxy gel in a convenient syringe. Anything 2-part epoxy will do.. even 5200 would work OK but 2 part epoxy is best.

The gel spreads a little thicker and is made more for that type of use as opposed to just a regular glue. When installing the radio if it's practical use some 4200, and don't forget about sealing the bolt/screw holes too.

Jon

"Kids, don't try this at home."

morgs

posted 03/18/2005 05:53 PM  

leaky, once again right on top of things. I'm going to pick it up right now.

Thanks

mloner

posted 04/02/2005 10:03 AM  

box

the box that came with my pro line hard top is great. it is molded right into the top..... all one piece...

you may want to log on to their web site and see what they have to offer you....

Mike L

seabert

posted 04/02/2005 05:41 PM  

I personally would use Marine Tex. It will adhere well and can be filed and sanded to insure a very professional milled look that will hold up for years and not leak. Yes it comes in 2 parts but mixing is easy.

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.