Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

The Epic SandEel bite

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
Surfcaster77

posted 11/19/2013 07:06 PM  

Well over the past month Was probably the best striper fishing that i have experienced in a long time, Quality fish wise. I consistently caught bigger fish in large numbers, It was awesome to say the least and what a great close to the 2013 striper season. But the only thing that always seems to amaze me is the craziness that ensues, I thought i have seen it all but this year topped it by far. The GREEN TUBE SUPERSTAR gangs converged upon the beaches and it was entertaining and sad at the same time. The bafoonery i witnessed was epic. Can't believe how insane people get over a fish. Guys running up and down the beach at the site of a bent rod, People totally blindly casting with no regard for the person fishing next to them, Upside down reels on rods, Running start casting, guys in jeans and sneakers and so on. But i was however happy to see guys releasing fish more than i expected up Except for the "I no speak da english" morons. But in all great fall!!! up

Gateway Striper Club.

tman1

posted 11/20/2013 08:28 AM  

It was the same in 2010....history repeats itself.

TSmalls57

posted 11/20/2013 08:38 AM  

How much longer do you think the bite has. I heard there is a cold front coming this weekend.... is that going to shut everything down? Would love to get out at least one more time.

beatonem

posted 11/20/2013 06:51 PM  

Probably thru December, not sure about size but if I am catching so be it. There are fish around in certain places through the winter, just have to find em! Have taken keepers into new year. Have fun and good luck.

the3fishheads

posted 11/20/2013 07:13 PM  

Back in the day (way back) Bucktails and rine took bass well into the 40lb range and over (some going 50 and even a 60 here and there) into January. On the inside. Live bluebacks off the top turned the trick also. I used to get bass in the thirtys using the upperman or limabean with white pork. Talkin many years ago. Billy was King back then. Planks were deployed on the fences in later years. Conservation can bring this fishery back. Access is another story. There is one spot left with potential. It is a rare sport today.

Gone fishin

morichesmonster

posted 11/20/2013 07:19 PM  

surfcaster77 wrote:

Well over the past month Was probably the best striper fishing that i have experienced in a long time, Quality fish wise. I consistently caught bigger fish in large numbers, It was awesome to say the least and what a great close to the 2013 striper season. But the only thing that always seems to amaze me is the craziness that ensues, I thought i have seen it all but this year topped it by far. The GREEN TUBE SUPERSTAR gangs converged upon the beaches and it was entertaining and sad at the same time. The bafoonery i witnessed was epic. Can't believe how insane people get over a fish. Guys running up and down the beach at the site of a bent rod, People totally blindly casting with no regard for the person fishing next to them, Upside down reels on rods, Running start casting, guys in jeans and sneakers and so on. But i was however happy to see guys releasing fish more than i expected up Except for the "I no speak da english" morons. But in all great fall!!! up

don't forget he headlights driving the beach on a full moon, shining them on the water and then getting out and casting in their beam, kicking fish back into the water, throwing them back in the water, I could go on, effing priceless...

It was a nice season barring the above, I am very thankful we had no major storms this fall. I felt blessed for every fish I landed.

Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies.

jonthelawyer

posted 11/20/2013 08:31 PM  

This is direct evidence that the striped bass is finished as a species, there will be no more bass caught in 2014. We've caught them all. Change the regulations before its too late. Put the Former Mayor of Toronto in charge of NMFS.

onelastcast27

posted 11/20/2013 08:47 PM  

Hurrah for sand eels

I had a long absence from the suds and came back this season to the sand eel frenzy. All I can say is hurrah. At last spots were definable and predictable... and yes it did draw crowds and stupidity.

In the beginning of my comeback I too simply cast wildly not understanding my lessons learned many years ago and clueless why the guy next door was hitting them and I was not. But slowly the knowledge returned and I begun to feel the bars and drop offs and sense the school just at the edge of the drops. Fish started producing and I was becoming the guy next door.

So thank you to sand eels that do not migrate like other bait fish and for holding the predators there long enough for me to get my surf legs back and my senses attuned.

I think it's been a great season's end and I deeply appreciate all the advice many of you gave to me as I reached out for help. And yes the dopes are dopes... and I suppose for the first few weeks back I was a dope too... however i always will respect the beautiful stripers and apologize to the guy next door if I cross his line Smile Tight lines to all. Onelastcast27

Surfslug

posted 11/20/2013 09:27 PM  

the cold front will keep all but us hardcores off the beach now....

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 11/20/2013 10:25 PM  

the3fishheads wrote:

Back in the day (way back) Bucktails and rine took bass well into the 40lb range and over (some going 50 and even a 60 here and there) into January. On the inside. Live bluebacks off the top turned the trick also. I used to get bass in the thirtys using the upperman or limabean with white pork. Talkin many years ago. Billy was King back then. Planks were deployed on the fences in later years. Conservation can bring this fishery back. Access is another story. There is one spot left with potential. It is a rare sport today.

Ahhh, the good ole days. Bluebacks off the loop in Dec. Catching a bass or two and then thawing your hands in your car, screaming from the pain for 5 minutes before going out and doing it again. Never liked the fence stands though LOL. Lost too many good fish from them. Sadly, those days are gone.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

natscatch

posted 11/20/2013 10:30 PM  

no respect for stripers

So sad the morons I witnessed on the beach today. dragging fish(99% schoolies)thru the sand up the beach, taking 5+ minutes to measure shorts not even close to legal limit. Water was calm enough to stand at least knee deep and release fish. Oh that's right the guys in jeans and work boots don't want to get their feet wet. Just really really sad. Then after I land a nice 35" fish at least 5 guys start casting mad 10 ' from me. I just left thinking they just don't get it.

likeitreallyis

posted 11/21/2013 08:44 AM  

WHY?

why did the bait come inshore this year?

One reason: The DROUGHT.

No urine runoff to keep them away.

(80% of the nitrogen/pollutants in the waterways comes from urine.)

Add in the E. Coli bloom every small rain event and the fish/bait will not swim in a toilet.

This is the way fishing can be every year if we adress our septic issues.

We are seeing what a future of clean water will bring.

But, it won't be cheap.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

This post edited by likeitreallyis 08:45 AM 11/21/2013

DrifterNY

posted 11/21/2013 07:11 PM  

likeitreallyis wrote:

Add in the E. Coli bloom every small rain event and the fish/bait will not swim in a toilet.

But, it won't be cheap.

Sounds like poop to me!

And this year was twice as good as 2010!

likeitreallyis

posted 11/22/2013 08:28 AM  

ah yes old wise one with boat Roll

you are in tune with the surf I stand in everyday up

I'm not worthy of your vast observations.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

surfphisher

posted 11/22/2013 09:28 AM  

likeitreallyis wrote:

But, it won't be cheap.

100000% correct. Unfortunately, our septic issues, lousy roadway infrastructure, and even worse mass transportation are insurmountable challenges that we've inherited. Urban sprawl, population explosion, whatever you want to call it....it all should have and could have been incorporated into the islands growth. Instead, our taxes fund the rest of the state as we sit on a giant piss cap and watch our marine ecosystem die.

Not trying to hijack the thread. It's was a great run. The lack of rain is a very sensible theory of why we were fortunate enough to have it.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.