Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

How about a little help

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
newtobass

posted 11/19/2013 04:44 PM  

Hey everyone, just moved to Long Island in May from Pennsylvania. While I've fished all my life, I got a serious surf fishing addition these last couple months. While I'm not looking for anyone to give up their secret honey hole, I would really appreciate a little direction. I don't know anybody here other than my wife's friends (she's an LI native) and neighbors but none of them fish so I've been out on my own. I've tried to pick up tips from the report here which are great and the tackle shop but that only goes so far if you don't know the areas.

First, what constitutes "central south shore" in the reports. Knowing this would define the other two areas for me.

Any recommendations for good public access spots? I'm walking and wading the beach though I do see a 4x4 in my future if this addiction continues. I live out east on the north shore and have been spending my time between Smith's Point and Quogue. Don't know much more as to where to go other than these couple places.

I've got this Friday off, may be my last full day out to go fish for the rest of the year because of holiday commitments, where would you go? Is it worth trekking out to Montauk anymore or would you head west? Looks like things are winding down but I'm trying to go out with a bang.

Lastly, thanks for any help. If you see me on the beach, give a shout, I'm typically brown waders, bright blue jacket, Penn Torque and a digital camo backpack.

kwikstick

posted 11/19/2013 06:35 PM  

check out this sticky at the top of the page....then pick a spot up

STICKY: New York State Parks / Suffolk County and Federal Beach Fishing Permit Info and More

Iannotti

posted 11/19/2013 09:39 PM  

newtobass wrote:

Hey everyone, just moved to Long Island in May from Pennsylvania. While I've fished all my life, I got a serious surf fishing addition these last couple months. While I'm not looking for anyone to give up their secret honey hole, I would really appreciate a little direction. I don't know anybody here other than my wife's friends (she's an LI native) and neighbors but none of them fish so I've been out on my own. I've tried to pick up tips from the report here which are great and the tackle shop but that only goes so far if you don't know the areas.

First, what constitutes "central south shore" in the reports. Knowing this would define the other two areas for me.

Any recommendations for good public access spots? I'm walking and wading the beach though I do see a 4x4 in my future if this addiction continues. I live out east on the north shore and have been spending my time between Smith's Point and Quogue. Don't know much more as to where to go other than these couple places.

I've got this Friday off, may be my last full day out to go fish for the rest of the year because of holiday commitments, where would you go? Is it worth trekking out to Montauk anymore or would you head west? Looks like things are winding down but I'm trying to go out with a bang.

Lastly, thanks for any help. If you see me on the beach, give a shout, I'm typically brown waders, bright blue jacket, Penn Torque and a digital camo backpack.

Take the reports like a grain of salt, the surf reports anyways, to many trolls and I wouldnt pay attention to the location they chose, its probably not correct anyways.

tman1

posted 11/20/2013 08:34 AM  

Do yourself a favor and read over the winter and then start a fishing log. Learn about reading beach structure, baitfish and techniques. It will get you much further that chasing reports...

newtobass

posted 11/20/2013 08:56 AM  

Thanks for the info, no I don't chase reports but am trying to improve my beach reading skills. Think I've read more about surf fishing over the last couple weeks than any other type of fishing in the past 25yrs. Will be reading more over the winter.

JAYBASS

posted 11/20/2013 09:00 AM  

The fish can pretty much pop up anywhere along the SS beaches this fall. Mostly smaller fish left. Right now I would concentrate my efforts between Moriches and Jones. Sunrise or sunset. Get out there pre light, dont wait til the sun is already up to start fishing.

Just get out there and enjoy.

2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...

Onebentrod

posted 11/20/2013 09:53 AM  

newtobass wrote:

Any recommendations for good public access spots? I'm walking and wading the beach though I do see a 4x4 in my future if this addiction
continues. I live out east on the north shore and have been spending my time between Smith's Point and Quogue. Don't know much more as to where to go other than these couple places.

The bite has moved west of where you've been fishing. If you're off on Friday head to Robert Moses and start there. Be there for first light.

longcast

posted 11/20/2013 09:57 AM  

Nice post. More like what I thought the site was about.up

JAYBASS

posted 11/20/2013 10:01 AM  

Better structured beaches further west... With 4 and 3 closed due to dredging and sand moving vehicles, you may want to rethink that choice for Friday...

2009-13 DEADSTICK CHAMP, A-Team Hostage Crisis Unit, Lead Negotiator, LEAD INVESTIGATOR, INVESTIGATIVE DIVISION OF RAIBS

FIX NOREAST, GET RID OF THE POLITICAL THREAD...

FishScale

posted 11/20/2013 10:11 AM  

Just send Jaybass a pm and go with him on his next outing Smile

likeitreallyis

posted 11/20/2013 10:38 AM  

JAYBASS wrote:

Better structured beaches further west... With 4 and 3 closed due to dredging and sand moving vehicles, you may want to rethink that choice for Friday...

Field 5 has been opened to night fishing permit holders in place of the closed fields until December 15.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

falsealbie

posted 11/20/2013 11:36 AM  

Field 3 isn't closed, at least not yet.

newtobass

posted 11/20/2013 12:15 PM  

I guess given what going on at Jones beach, I'll stick with Smith Point and get out early and read the beach. Thanks for the help guys.

xxxfreshwater

posted 11/20/2013 12:29 PM  

upHey bud, the bigger fish have been west 1 mile of FINS. It is worth the walk. You can just park in the main lot and cut across, let me know how you make out and be well.

the3fishheads

posted 11/20/2013 06:01 PM  

FishScale wrote:

Just send Jaybass a pm and go with him on his next outing Smile

Best advice here. Just bring a box of doughnuts. Powdered or glazed.. He's on the job. Toungue

Gone fishin

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.