Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Gaffing a Shark !

Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Boards > Offshore
MakoMan

posted 08/23/2002 05:44 PM  

My friends and I would like to know where is the best place to gaff a Mako or a Thresher ? We had a arugement while trying to gaff a about 150-160 lb Mako and lost him !!! any advice ?

Thanks,
MakoMan

~ MakoMan ~

mocean

posted 08/23/2002 06:04 PM  

~~~~~

I like behind the dorsal toward's the tail. Don't go too far to the tail, your target gets small. If you can gaff him and pull his tail up, you gain a lot of control. A lot of people like going for the gills. Main thing is to get him good with the flying gaff. Then you can regroup, have your argument and get him again!

A thresher, especially a big one, I would go for the gills to avoid that tale.

...mocean

B.Attitude
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 08/23/2002 07:40 PM  

I agree with mocean.Gaff a mako behind the dorsal so that when you pull the rope the mako will come back to you tail first which makes it easier to lift his tail up and tie it to a cleat to put a tail rope on him.Bigger makos should be gaffed with the boat idling along.This method is done by the wireman guiding the mako along side the boat with water passing through his gills.They stay pretty calm until they feel the jab of the gaff.You also get a better gaff shot this way.If your standing still they will be thrashing around wildly,hard to put a gaff in him that way
paulie.

9/11

Nothing left to do but Smile,Smile,Smile...

MakoMatt
Noreast.com Club Member

Offshore

posted 08/23/2002 08:02 PM  

I agree pretty much with mocean. If you go for a mid body shot on Makos, because of the design of the fish in that most of the weight is forward, after you have sunk the iron and pull on it, you will find the head going down, and the tail coming up. Very easy to control and get a tail rope on. On Threshers, you don't want to get too close to the tail. Try and keep your gaff shot forward a bit, the gills are fine. Save the Chinese fire drills for when after the fish is hanging from a tailrope.

Tight lines,
MakoMatt

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 08/26/2002 08:10 AM  

Guys,
Unless you're in a tournament, save yourselves lots of trouble and get a cockpit harpoon. It makes life a lot simpler on any big fish.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

MakoMatt
Noreast.com Club Member

Offshore

posted 08/26/2002 11:39 AM  

Harpoon's are a lot easier to sink into the flesh of a fish, however, you should use the 2 differently. With a flying gaff after you stick the fish you can generaly do whatever you like in the way of pulling, towing, etc. on the fish. The head of a flying gaff is designed to take a lot of pressure without pulling out of the fish. A harpoon on the other hand is an entirely different story. After you stick the fish the dart can come out if too much pressure is exerted. A big fish can exert enough pressure trying to escape to pull the dart out him self. Whenever I use my harpoon on a quality fish, I have a barrel on the other end of the line from the dart. I use olive barrels that I rig a special way for this purpose. I think they are approx. 4-5 gallon barrels. After I stick the fish, if he wants to go, I let him go. You just follow the barrel and retrive the line to bring the fish up to finsh him off. Also, if it's a really nice fish capable of towing the barrel, and it can really add to the excitement of the catch.

CaptainJ

posted 08/26/2002 11:50 AM  

Flying Gaff in the gills

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 08/26/2002 01:17 PM  

Matt,
You're right, it is different than a flyer, mainly in that its much easier to use. Its not for no reason that all the commercial giant tuna fishermen use one. If you know how to do it, you'll usually "button hole" the fish and almost no amount of pulling will dislodge the lily iron. OTOH is you don't button hole it you do have to take some precautions.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

mocean

posted 08/26/2002 04:24 PM  

bottonhole

Mike, Can you describe that in a little more detail. I never heard of "buttonhole" in this way. Never used a harpoon. Thanks.

...mocean

Venture

posted 08/26/2002 06:02 PM  

Harpoons Away

I'm a believer in cockpit harpoons with the 200 - 300 feet of 1/4" running line attached to a small red bouy. It's safe, easy to use, and makes a small little hole...We use them on Giants, and even though I don't shark fish, I assume that it would also be great for them as well...

With giants, we keep the boat in gear, wire the fish to the side of the boat, and either throw or stick the fish in the head.

We rig the harpoon handle with a wooden paint stirer and a stainless loop that screws shut. We run the line through the loop from the lilly, and then tuck a loop of the line into the paint stick which when tightened, holds the lilly tight to the shaft. The stainless screw loop is fassened to the handle with many wraps of heavy duty rigging floss, and the wooden paint stick is fassened to the handle with electrical tape at both ends of the stick and around the handle.

This way, when you throw it, you don't loose you handle, when the lilly comes off the shaft. The stainless loop, which the running line goes through keeps the handle on the gear.

Anyway, I know it's hard to explain how to rig a throwing harpoon, but it's real simple and real easy to do....

Tight lines, Howie

MakoMatt
Noreast.com Club Member

Offshore

posted 08/26/2002 06:18 PM  

Howie, you actually "throw" the stick at giants sometimes as in the stick leaves your hands, is in midair, "flight" so to speak before hitting the fish? For shark you don't do that, you stick him with it.

Matt

capt jack

posted 08/26/2002 10:28 PM  

someone actually "THROWS" a harpoon?? this i would have to see. been fishing giants and sharks for many many years and never saw a harpoon thrown! we stick them using body weight to drive the harpoon through the fish. throwing a harpoon would never generate enough power to button hook a tuna no less a shark.

wader

posted 08/26/2002 10:52 PM  

Bet Sparticus could do it....

"....inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened??"

MakoMatt
Noreast.com Club Member

Offshore

posted 08/27/2002 05:11 AM  

Yes, I think Sparticus could do it no problem too. To my knowledge, and I'm not even 100% sure about this because I never did it, the only people who would do this are the "Montauk Stick Boats". There aren'y too many left, the fishery is not what it was, but I think those guys would sometimes throw the harpoon very, very short distances if they felt the fish was going to move away or did move away. I think they also in later years used a rifle type device that shot a dart with a line attached. In any event, I'm sure they did not use a Relible or Aftco harpoon which is what I, and I think most sportsman use today. It's not meant to be thrown. Any fish that has a hook in it and you are wiring, why in the world would you throw something at it? Seeems like a good way to loose a fish. I could see myself throwing it, and hitting the line, and cutting it in two.

I don't care how well the shark is "buttonholed" with the harpoon dart, I don't like the "feel" of pulling too hard on the line. It's not the same as a good shot with the flying gaff where I could probably motor the boat full throttle and not worry about it pulling. Not that I would do that. I've stuck sharks pretty good with the harpoon but if he goes balistic, and they often do, I don't feel the fish is 100% mine yet and I give him the slack with attached ball if he wants.

Just my opinion.

MakoMatt

Venture

posted 08/27/2002 06:11 AM  

Yes, sometimes we throw it

That's right guys. If we can't get the big one up, we throw it. My harpoon is weighted at the end so it throws straight.

You throw it with both hands. As a righty, you cup your right hand over the back end of the handle, and use the left hand as a guide.. You'd be surprised the power you get from this proceedure.

And as I said in my first post, we "sometimes" throw it, and again, that's if you can't get the fish up within sticking range.

I'm not the only one who does this. But if you are non believers, so be it..Howie

Discussion Boards > Offshore Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.