Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Global Warming hoax or have we got an "Inconvenient Hobby"

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56  Next

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge
RavellingTangle

posted 10/05/2006 01:11 PM  

just noticed this in a Dem-bashing topic:-

"Scott, you have asked a question that they just cannot answer because they do not have any new ideas, just tired old liberal dogma. Maybe PETA will gain cabinet level status?!
You would think they would be full of ideas about important issues like the need for Social Security reform. They have given us no proposals except to say "BUSH WANTS TO STEAL YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY." They are more concerned with gay rights and the global warming hoax. Speaking of Social Security, here is ......."

and what caught my eye was the "the global warming hoax"

so......

DO YOU THINK IT IS A HOAX ?
If you do, why ? Is the "data" put forward false or misinterpeted ?

look at it this way - if it isn't a hoax we've got an "inconvenient" hobby - we use a lot of gas, have bigger SUV's (than we otherwise need) to tow boats or we fly a long way to go fishing somewhere exciting and so on.

I reckon there are 4 possible replies - tell me if I've missed one.
* it's a hoax (for whatever reason): ignore it

* it's a hoax : we need to argue loudly and carefully against doing the things the "doom mongers" say have to be changed

* it looks true and I'm thinking about cutting back where it is easy; and I'm lobbying my rep to get the gov to do what it can to slow the increase of CO2 output from China & India

* it looks true but maybe it won't happen for a few decades yet and even if its coming soon I'm not going to change what I do. My kids or those Bangladeshis will have to look after themselves.

give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach him to gill net, feed his Bank until the fish are gone

This post edited by RavellingTangle 12:36 PM 03/05/2007

Seajay2

posted 10/05/2006 01:26 PM  

There certainly seems to be sufficient evidence to conclude that temps are rising. What is not certain IMO is the cause. It certainily is true that the temps are rising at the same time that use of fossil fuels is increasing. But that by itself does not prove that the temp increase is the direct result of increases in fossil fuel used.

Perhaps the scientists do have some additional evidence, but if they do they have not presented it very clearly so that the average Joe can understand it. So far the best story I have heard is "the scientific community is convinced, so it must be true". Hopefully there is something better than that.

If that evidence exists, can you share it with us?

This post edited by Seajay2 01:28 PM 10/05/2006

craigkoproski

posted 10/05/2006 01:46 PM  

I put global warming right up there

with the bird flu pandemic (remember that) it sells newspapers. Bottom line!

P.S. I also love how every week there is a different theory aren't these the same people that were predicting one of the worst hurricaine seasons ever? If you put enough theories out there one of them is bound to be right.

"We protect only those things we love,
We love only those things we understand,
We understand only those things we are taught."

RavellingTangle

posted 10/05/2006 02:05 PM  

craigkoproski wrote:

with the bird flu pandemic (remember that) it sells newspapers. Bottom line!

P.S. I also love how every week there is a different theory aren't these the same people that were predicting one of the worst hurricaine seasons ever? If you put enough theories out there one of them is bound to be right.

Well there's some difference - a few governments are spending big money and working the W.H.O. to prepare for a bird 'flu pandemic. I guess they take it real serious because they now think that is what the 1918 'flu was.

Some govs are spending money already on global warming (trying to prevent) and many are preparing/planning to make their industries pay but most are paying "lip service"

They set targets, make speeches and so on but don't actually take the painfull actions they themselves are saying are needed - and their countries' greenhouse gas emissions are not falling.

That's like the third option up above except it's not easy anywhere for a government to cut back, so while they want to (be able to) do it, they don't quite manage it.

give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach him to gill net, feed his Bank until the fish are gone

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 10/05/2006 02:22 PM  

RavellingTangle wrote:

I reckon there are 4 possible replies - tell me if I've missed one.
* it's a hoax (for whatever reason): ignore it

* it's a hoax : we need to argue loudly and carefully against doing the things the "doom mongers" say have to be changed

* it looks true and I'm thinking about cutting back where it is easy; and I'm lobbying my rep to get the gov to do what it can to slow the increase of CO2 output from China & India

* it looks true but maybe it won't happen for a few decades yet and even if its coming soon I'm not going to change what I do. My kids or those Bangladeshis will have to look after themselves.

I would suggest a fifth answer:

* it looks true but there isn't a damn thing we (humans) can do about it. Its all part of a natural cycle that humans have very little, if any, influence over.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

dockrash

posted 10/05/2006 02:58 PM  

Mr Tangle,
The most important thing to remember, from "their" standpoint (radical environmentalists), is that the CO2 theory of warming allows "them" to BLAME and CONTROL us. That is what "they" are all about - - - manipulation and control. It is used to conjure fear and distrust of anyone who may be stupid enough to have a divergent opinion.

Be assured, for every "expert" on the doomsday bandwagon, there are people equally qualified who easily dispel the end of the world scenarios.I am not a cut paste and link service so I wont start that up.Solid arguments based on science are out there but the motivation to find it may be limited to those without an agenda and a willingness to consider that we are indeed witnessing natural events. There is afterall is said and done, an inconvenient rebuttal.

The liver is evil and must be punished.

Jaiem
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 10/05/2006 03:10 PM  

MakoMike wrote:

I would suggest a fifth answer:

* it looks true but there isn't a damn thing we (humans) can do about it. Its all part of a natural cycle that humans have very little, if any, influence over.

Well said! up

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Democracy is NOT two wolves and chicken deciding what's for dinner.

jtzannes

posted 10/05/2006 03:21 PM  

If it's not Global Warming, then something else must be making it so damn hot all the time.

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 10/05/2006 03:51 PM  

JT,
I don't think anyone is disputing that there is a warming trend going on. Where the differences come in is with respect to what is causing the warming and what, if anything, humans can do about it.

====MakoMike=====

Makomania out

PURSUITWA

posted 10/05/2006 03:53 PM  

Well we all give off CO2, and there's more of us than ever before so that's what I'm going with. More people = more co2=> global warming

Skatemaster,time to apologize to Tevlin's parents

jtzannes

posted 10/05/2006 04:15 PM  

MM - I was just playing around. I just find it funny how the term "global warming" is applied to the theoretical cause instead of the apparent phenominon. The globe IS getting warmer - no debate there - why is another story.... but when people debate the cause they talk in language that sounds like they're debating the stats... anyway, if it is gas emissions, then the 3 guys who sit next to me at work are really screwing future generations!

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 10/05/2006 04:38 PM  

Here is a very interesting view on the subject:

What is clear, however, is that on this issue, science and policy have become inextricably mixed to the point where it will be difficult, if not impossible, to separate them out. It is possible for an outside observer to ask serious questions about the conduct of investigations into global warming, such as whether we are taking appropriate steps to improve the quality of our observational data records, whether we are systematically obtaining the information that will clarify existing uncertainties, whether we have any organized disinterested mechanism to direct research in this contentious area.

The answer to all these questions is no. We don't.

====MakoMike=====

Makomania out

wtb1950

posted 10/05/2006 05:02 PM  

When I was a kid in the 50's, everyone was hearing about cooling, a new ice age, nothing. Now its global warming, is it real, yes, its a natural cycle the earth goes through every few thousand years. At one time the Sahara Desert was a rain forest before man, what changed that. Its hisoricaly true when the Vikings colonized Greenland they found it warm enough to farm, maybe its returning to the temps it was then. No one really knows but it just seems to fit the eco freaks agenda. And Al Gore!

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 10/05/2006 05:29 PM  

Here is a discussion from a simplified but scientific point of view:

Global warming started long before the "Industrial Revolution" and the invention of the internal combustion engine. Global warming began 18,000 years ago as the earth started warming its way out of the Pleistocene Ice Age-- a time when much of North America, Europe, and Asia lay buried beneath great sheets of glacial ice.

====MakoMike=====

Makomania out

aquaboy

posted 10/05/2006 06:21 PM  

I hate to get off to a bad start but ....

Being a newb on this board I hate to strongly express my opinion but ...

I would like to make a SIMPLE point, because If I were to critique the logic behind many of these partisan debates my hands would be numb from typing.

APATHY about our environment regardless of CAUSE undermines the conservation of the natural resource we all find enjoyment in.

If the energy we spent on deate was spent on doing we would be have answers and could work on solutions.

In other words GROW UP and put EFFORT into PRESERVING a piece of the same world you discovered on your journey here.

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge Page  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.