Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Old Penn single speed 130, any idea what I fixed by doing this?

Discussion Boards > Reel Maintenance and Repair
leakyrivot

posted 04/07/2013 03:22 AM  

I had to return a reel I'd been borrowing for awhile, so was going to be short on tuna gear. Didn't want to spend alot of cash and picked up a single speed Penn 130 on Ebay...

I was happy at the condition when it showed up. Playing with the drag something seemed wrong though (not enough lbs). I pulled the cover off and checked the drag, all parts there, new drag washer, looked new inside and like it was just serviced, very clean and recently greased.

I put it back together and gave it a test. Wasn't right - the preset seemed to bottom out hard (like a bolt bottoming out in a hole) at 28 lbs on strike. When doing this the reel didn't lock up like they usually do when you bottom the preset out and it didn't seem to have much adjustment, a few turns one way or the other.

Pulled the cover off on the preset, operation looked good. Pulled the cover off on the crank side of the reel and found there was waaay more adjustment available before locking the reel up (lots of clearance on the gear).. So at that point I was thinking maybe I just needed to put it together and turn the preset harder.

I put it back together and without feeling any tension on the preset all of the sudden it's behaving like a 130 again - no problem adjusting the strike > 40 lbs.. WTF?

Any idea what I fixed? Aside from taking it apart and putting it back together I didn't find anything wrong, so wondering what may have been out of order?

Thanks,

Jon

"Kids, don't try this at home."

JohnTFT

posted 04/07/2013 08:12 AM  

Did you change the belleville washers orientation? To have limited drag when taken apart and then correct drag it sounds like you re installed the washers in a different direction than the way the reel was assembled after the drag washer was replaced.

The other thing that could have happened was you put the shim back in the correct place on the the thrust bearing. Many times the shim will be installed incorrectly on the gear side of the shaft and not on the bearing side. Those few thousandth's is all it takes to get little drag range or no preset adjustment at all.

Still my favorite of the 130 reels available. Too bad parts are becoming scarce for the vintage Penns as they are true workhorses.

Trophy Fishing Tackle
434 Rutgers Road
West Babylon NY, 11704
631-274-7042
Trophy Tackle

leakyrivot

posted 04/07/2013 10:31 AM  

JohnTFT wrote:

Did you change the belleville washers orientation? To have limited drag when taken apart and then correct drag it sounds like you re installed the washers in a different direction than the way the reel was assembled after the drag washer was replaced.

The other thing that could have happened was you put the shim back in the correct place on the the thrust bearing. Many times the shim will be installed incorrectly on the gear side of the shaft and not on the bearing side. Those few thousandth's is all it takes to get little drag range or no preset adjustment at all.

Still my favorite of the 130 reels available. Too bad parts are becoming scarce for the vintage Penns as they are true workhorses.

Thanks for that! I'm going to double check to make sure when pulling the shaft out the drag it didn't slip out of place or anything - will verify shim placement then too. I didn't notice any shim on either side.

Something was definitely off because I took the reel apart and found the adjustment had waay more to go. Thinking maybe the gears in the drag adjustment may not have been meshed may be another cause.

By belleville washers I assume that's the right term for the "spring washers", the ones that are bent so they have a slight cone to them? It's funny you mention that because that was the first thing I checked (thought maybe they were oriented so they fit into eachother).. And actually I was tempted to put a shim in between those washers until I found it wasn't a matter of the adjustment bottoming out.

Thanks,

Jon

"Kids, don't try this at home."

This post edited by leakyrivot 10:38 AM 04/07/2013

shalom

posted 04/14/2013 03:23 PM  

Best simple guess...

My best guess is all the screws were not all the way in and/or your plate was ever so slightly off. A plate a few micro meters out and your shaft aint gonna have its full range because the plates are further apart and result in a slightly lighter drag with a narrow range, lots of other funky things can happen with your drag and freespool if the plates ain’t lined up proper or off just a wee bit because of a screw or two. I’ve done it myself many a times and nothing like the relief when you undo put it back together and alls well!!

Discussion Boards > Reel Maintenance and Repair  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.