Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Fishing under small bridge right before the Jones Beach Fields?

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
Raydjr15

posted 08/09/2013 09:56 AM  

Hey guys, new to the site, recently got back into surf fishing heavily! Been doing alot of fishing from Field 6 @ Jones Beach with some nice action. I was curious if anyone could tell me if I would be allowed to park my car on the side of the road where those 2 small bridges are right before you start seeing the Fields at Jones, they lead into the bay area, would love to do some fishing under there, there is always boats there and it looks like a nice area to try out, I was just worried about cops busting my balls about the car being parked there, thanks for the help fellas!!!!!

JesusBird

posted 08/09/2013 10:43 AM  

A lot of guys are getting their cars broken into in the lot,equipment stolen. Be careful and I suggest go with a partner.

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 08/09/2013 10:57 AM  

There is absolutely no parking on the side of any of the roads into, out of, or around the state parks. Tickets, summons and tows are what await those that do.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

Scott1280

posted 08/09/2013 11:31 AM  

They put a pier-like structure underneath the last Wantagh Parkway Bridge (the new draw bridge). See lots of people fishing from there and there appears to be a lot on the north side of the bridge (heading south). Not sure though since I only see it from the Water.

At least the panic over the "Fiscal Cliff" proved the "Bush Tax Cuts for the Rich" montra was a load of crap repeated by Liars and ignorant lemmings.

bassman909

posted 08/09/2013 12:29 PM  

The pier under the Wantaugh bridge is open to the public. It is called Green Island

There is parking on the North West side of the bridge.

Great spot.

Help keep the right to fish and the fish alive!
1-888-Join-RFA

Raydjr15

posted 08/09/2013 01:56 PM  

Info

Thanks for the info guys!!!!!

MOTOFISH

posted 08/09/2013 09:49 PM  

Hey Ray....stop in at one of the NYS park offices and get a fishing parking permit before you get a rude awakening..make a few calls
it's cheaper than what kinda shxx could happen.
good spot green island

"katinka,kawinka,kalinka,,
you know what that means"

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 08/09/2013 10:30 PM  

Green Island is the middle island of the Wantagh parkway and there is a pier under the 3rd Wantagh (most southerly) but parking is for NYS night fishing permit holders. If you didn't get the permit this spring, you won't be able to get it again until after Labor Day, or there abouts.

Raydjr15

posted 08/09/2013 10:38 PM  

Thanks

Thanks again guys!

willyyoung

posted 08/10/2013 09:08 AM  

There is also parking field 10 J.B. which has fishing piers , we are putting a spotlight there that shines into the water which will draw bait and those that feed on them.

Willie

Willie Young

jets28

posted 08/10/2013 05:51 PM  

Is it only some specific spots we aren't allowed to post about ex. Cedar point, main beach east Hampton or is it every spot? To me these aren't secret beaches and an access question is as simple as that. I would think that is what this forum is for similar to when we discuss Rocky Point or Otis Pike on the hunting site I visit. Someone asking how to go about parking there is different then someone asking where to hunt. Same as someone asking where exactly to fish. or Raydrjr did this question earn you a spot burning warning also. I have found some exelent knowledge in these pages but main some of you guys are so spot sensitive.

22' Proline "Sweet Baby James"

fishyhands

posted 08/10/2013 06:18 PM  

Willy, when they rebuilt the dock in the back where the state docks its boats, the lights were much brighter and have done a great job bringing in what little bait is there, I wouldn't add anything in that area. Where were they thinking of putting the spot? Maybe along the eastern most pier, not too far from where it starts in the rocky area?

They finally pulled away the crane that was working on the last damaged pier, it's great to see them all fixed now...

willyyoung

posted 08/10/2013 07:40 PM  

fishyhands wrote:

Willy, when they rebuilt the dock in the back where the state docks its boats, the lights were much brighter and have done a great job bringing in what little bait is there, I wouldn't add anything in that area. Where were they thinking of putting the spot? Maybe along the eastern most pier, not too far from where it starts in the rocky area?

They finally pulled away the crane that was working on the last damaged pier, it's great to see them all fixed now...

I recall the east most pier but not 100% sure. It is being paid for from monies from the State fishing contests.
Willie

Willie Young

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 08/11/2013 03:50 PM  

jets28 wrote:

Is it only some specific spots we aren't allowed to post about ex. Cedar point, main beach east Hampton or is it every spot? To me these aren't secret beaches and an access question is as simple as that. I would think that is what this forum is for similar to when we discuss Rocky Point or Otis Pike on the hunting site I visit. Someone asking how to go about parking there is different then someone asking where to hunt. Same as someone asking where exactly to fish. or Raydrjr did this question earn you a spot burning warning also. I have found some exelent knowledge in these pages but main some of you guys are so spot sensitive.

I've already written a book's worth of posts on the public spots discussion problems, so I'll just skim here. First, if the questions are about access like "Do I need a permit to park at RM2 at night?, or "Where is the 4x4 access point for Sore Thumb?" then these are fine. These are access questions. When you ask about things like where you should stand on a particular jetty, or the ever-present "Can somebody tell me where to go to catch fish?" Then these cause problems on the board and we discourage them because of that. It's nothing personal, it just causes problems, simple as that. It's not that members are necessarily over sensitive, or spot sensitive as you put it, it's just thay've seen the collateral damage that public discussions cause.

The thing that you and most others don't realize is that the overwhelming number of click throughs on this site are from non-members. These are lurkers, they don't join, they don't contribute, they just mine for spots and the latest on where fish are. The reports section in the spring and fall gets 10's of thousands of unique click throughs every single day. Who are all those people? They're certainly not the 40-50 common members who contribute on this board, or the handfull that post reports and joke with other in the reports section. No, they're lurkers and they are the ones who ultimately cause the problems.

To use your example of Rocky Point or Otis Pike, where you hunt. You'll tell where to park, but not where to hunt, it's pretty much the same here. The difference is that the woods are pretty large with a lot of territory to cover and hunt. Not so with the very limited access that LI fisherpersons have available to them. Plus the woods are uniform, the deer can be most anywhere. Sure some areas may be a bit better, but it's not a dead lock. The reason I pointed this out is that it's very different with LI fishing. I'll give you a little story to illustrate what I mean.

If a surf fishing report mentions the Moriches area, then the first thing that everybody thinks about is the jetty. Even if you say Smiths Point, they still thing the Moriches west jetty. And the productive areas of that jetty can handle only a very small amount of fishermen who need to work together in order for any of them to catch fish.

When I first joined this site many years back I posted a few fishing reports. On one, I posted a very successful night of fishing using the Moriches dropdown (not available to surf reports anymore) for area and didn't mention my specific spot, which was about a half mile in from the inlet. I thought I was clever by not spelling out where I was. And I was clever.

Problem was I completely screwed it up for the jetty jockies for the next 3 nights. These guys had been waiting for the bite, it came, and I ruined it for them, because after that report there were 30 trucks and 50 fishermen crawling all over the jetty trying to catch those fish that they had read in my report. They just assumed I was talking about the inlet.

There were guys falling in the water, constant tangles, arguments, a complete and total zoo, with nobody catching anything, not even the guys who know how, simply because they couldn't get a line in the water. So that's how I learned my lesson about what spot related information can do. It wasn't about the damage I did to myself, it was about the damage I did to other guys. They weren't too happy with me and I don't blame them at all.

And there are hundreds of other cases where the same thing has happened. The guys at Demo out there every night, waiting for the bite, and when it comes somebody says something on a public forum about fish at RM and the next night, fuggetaboutit, a total zoo, and nobody catches anything. So because of the way people associate certain areas with specific spots, it makes it difficult to discuss them without blowing the spot up for those that fish it regularly.

The analogy to your hunting statement would be this. You go on your hunting website and talk about some deer you've seen and mention where to park. So you show up the next day and walk out to your stand and find 3 people in it, 15 people hanging from the branches, and another 10 hunters at the bottom waiting for either somebody to fall out of the tree so they can take their place, or just looking to shoot something from the ground.Toungue

Yeah, that wouldn't happen because there is no association with your tree stand as the only place to hunt. Unfortunately, it is that way with surf fishing and surf fishing access. Fish are not uniformly spread out, they tend to concentrate in certain areas at certain times and most of those areas can only hold a limited number of fishermen. Anybody is allowed to fish them provided they're papered up and legal, that's not the issue. The issue is when information that can be seen by literally 10's of thousands of non-contributing lurkers is presented, then those who do fish those areas regularly suffer from the lurking mob who descend on said spot looking for instant gratification.

So what you would think is like something else that you have experience with, is not necessarily the case here, which is why I sent you and the other member a PM. It wasn't a "warning" at least not in the sense it sounds like in your post, it was a heads up for new members who might not see what could come. I don't like seeing new members being embarrased publically when they ask what seems to be an innocent question, and so I try to explain it to them when I see it. Nothing more, nothing less, it's moderation, not personal agenda.

So, as for some members being so "spot sensitive", just go back to my silly hunting example and think how you would feel about that scenarioWink Unfortunately, this is Lung Guyland and it actually happens here. It's not a big deal now because it's August, but once mid to late Sept rolls around it will be. It is every year.surprise

This post edited by RichTrox 03:53 PM 08/11/2013

JesusBird

posted 08/11/2013 03:52 PM  

Here we go!Roll

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.