Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Loading a reel.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
jets28

posted 08/03/2013 04:44 PM  

How do you tell based on reel line capacity how much braid will fit? Also when loading the mono backing how you make sure you put enough that a 300 yard of braid wont fall short? Also not to much that you can fit all the braid? Thanks.

22' Proline "Sweet Baby James"

shalom

posted 08/03/2013 04:51 PM  

If you have 2 other reels put the braid on your reel first, then your mono backing to fill spool where you like it - reel this out and on reel number 2, the braid will be on top - Then reel this out on reel 3 mono will again be on top - finally reel back on your mail reel and braid will be on top with a perfect mono backing. Check the braid package it will show the mono equivalent as far as its specs normally

jets28

posted 08/03/2013 04:58 PM  

Great thank you.

shalom

posted 08/03/2013 05:15 PM  

Much welcome, forgot to mention it may be quicker and if you dont have spare reels your local bait and tackle probably has a spool station and could do this for you quickly or you could use 2 standard big spools but by hand will take forever getting on the 2 spools!

Grizzzz

posted 08/04/2013 04:25 PM  

I usually do mine this way. I reel the line onto my spool through a wet rag that i hold tightly to the line with my free hand. Then if there is still room on the spool , i add backing til it's full. I don't have a spare reel so i attach the end of the mono to a tree at the far end of my yard and walk the line out . I have to go back and forth between two trees a couple of times to get all the line off. Then i attach the mono to the spool and retrieve it all back in while doing the walk again!

jets28

posted 08/05/2013 11:47 AM  

That sounds like an idea also I like doing things myself so would rather do it then pay a b and t

shalom

posted 08/05/2013 11:53 AM  

Great idea Grizzzz!

ExTechjunkie

posted 08/05/2013 01:02 PM  

I don't always have a spare reel handy that holds as much or more than the reel that I'm spooling. When that's the case, I wrap electrical tape onto a drill bit until it fits snugly inside a line spool (use an empty spool or one with enough spare capacity). I completely loosen the drag on the reel with the line and use a corded drill to evenly wind the line from the reel onto the spool, guiding it by hand through a rawhide welders glove. When winding line back onto the reel later, the line gets run through a sponge that's held down by something heavy, inside a bucket of water.

>< ) ) ) )*> ~ •The tug is my drug• >< ) ) ) )*> ~

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 08/05/2013 03:05 PM  

Interesting methods.Smile

As I only really use 50 lb PP I have the inside of my spools marked (with a sharpie marker) where the mono backing ends and the braid begins. This way I just fill the backing to the mark, uni to uni the braid, and fill to about 1/8" from the lip. I don't do anything special other than keep finger pressure on the line, but I do wet up the line over the first several casts, meaning I don't lay into my first cast with everything I got. I make the first cast easy, the next cast harder and then the last cast full bore.

Works for me and it's pretty simple.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.