Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Bottom Paint Removal

Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
fish4sport

posted 11/28/2012 01:48 PM  

Help: I have a 23 foot Mako in the Southampton area that has many layers of bottom paint needing removal. Dose anyone have suggestions/recommendations on a contractor or best method for removal??? Thanks for any help in this matter

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 11/28/2012 01:51 PM  

If you ahve many layers to remove, soda blasting would be the best way to go.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

SORTIE

posted 11/28/2012 02:17 PM  

+1 on soda-blasting

I was already toying with the idea if transitioning from my layers of ablative paint to a hard finish when suddenly it occurred to me that the DEP is probably getting ready to BAN ablative paints altogether

try to find a guy who can blast your boat at some inland venue

the DEP has made it very difficult for soda-blasters to operate at marinas, since they require that the "particulates" be collected when power-washing or soda-blasting

if you can trailer your boat inland to a soda blaster, he may not have to be so careful (and can charge you less as a result)

I found such an arrangement and will pay $500 for the job - and my boat sits on a bunk trailer so some moving is required

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

Peteroc317

posted 11/28/2012 02:23 PM  

Check under the new members forum... There's a new sponsor that seems to do just what you are looking for

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 11/28/2012 02:32 PM  

SORTIE wrote:

+1 on soda-blasting

I was already toying with the idea if transitioning from my layers of ablative paint to a hard finish when suddenly it occurred to me that the DEP is probably getting ready to BAN ablative paints altogether

try to find a guy who can blast your boat at some inland venue

the DEP has made it very difficult for soda-blasters to operate at marinas, since they require that the "particulates" be collected when power-washing or soda-blasting

if you can trailer your boat inland to a soda blaster, he may not have to be so careful (and can charge you less as a result)

I found such an arrangement and will pay $500 for the job - and my boat sits on a bunk trailer so some moving is required

+2 on the soda blasting. Most guys that have a business doing it now set up a plastic enclosure under the hull and use a vacuum to remove the debris. Seen it done many times, including with my boat.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

Restoman

posted 11/28/2012 02:40 PM  

Bottom Paint

Hello Fish 4 Fun.

This is exactly what we do and can help you out with our patented procedure.

Surface Restoration's system encapsulates the blasting media in a water vapor which all but eliminates airborne dust making for an extremely clean and fast work space environment. The media that Surface Restorations uses is recycled glass which shatters upon impact on the surface being restored... scrubbing away dirt, grime, barnacles and paint while not doing any damage to any of the subsurface. Tenting isn’t required, but we will tent if required. Our system use 50 lbs of media per hour where soda blasting and sand blasting require anywhere from 500 lbs to 1000 lbs per hour leaving a mess afterwords to deal with. Our process is clean, fast and delivers results beyond one’s expectation. This is why most commercial ship yards will only allow us to work there.

Unlike other blasting medias and systems such as SODA BLASTING there is no mess what so ever!! and we will leave a better foundation.

We can come to you if your boat is off the trailer, or you can bring it to our shop in Quogue.

Please feel free to call me (631)655-8700 or email me to discuss your project. Email [email protected]

www.surfaceresto.com

Bottom Paint Removal | NY,CT,RI,MA,NJ 631-655-8700

MOBILE MEDIA BLASTING

This post edited by Restoman 02:43 PM 11/28/2012

SORTIE

posted 11/28/2012 03:47 PM  

p.s.

these ablative paint "particulates" are the very same that leach off your hull into the water when you're underway, which is why I believe that ablatives will be banned soon

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

mannyc

posted 11/28/2012 04:09 PM  

i would call nochem

they use plastic media to do the same job. the plastic leaves a nice tooth on the gelcoat for the future application of interprotect. it is possible that the surface left by the sodablasting or glass bead process will be too smooth to accept and hold interprotect. i know what worked for me. nochem left my boat and yard clean. they left the boat ready for a wash down, chemical wipe and then interprotect.

SORTIE

posted 11/28/2012 04:17 PM  

I was told (by my soda-blaster) that the bottom would have sufficient tooth for barrier coating

don't know about the glass bead blasting

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

Restoman

posted 11/28/2012 04:51 PM  

Both soda and plastics will leave around .25 to .75 mil tooth on the surface and both will produce a considerable amount of dust and a much larger amount of clean up.

Our system produces a 1.0-1.5 mil tooth which is much preferred for any barrier coats and epoxies. This is why larger custom yacht building facilities only use our system.

No dust, no environmental contamination, recycled media, no mess and better surface perpetration.

MOBILE MEDIA BLASTING

Fishbust

posted 11/28/2012 08:40 PM  

Price.

Local Motion

Restoman

posted 11/28/2012 09:15 PM  

Competitively priced with other services.

MOBILE MEDIA BLASTING

Fishbust

posted 11/28/2012 10:34 PM  

fish4sport wrote:

Help: I have a 23 foot Mako in the Southampton area that has many layers of bottom paint needing removal. Dose anyone have suggestions/recommendations on a contractor or best method for removal??? Thanks for any help in this matter

Well I have stripped 2 boats.
A 23 footer is a small boat to strip.
If you can wait to do it in spring in the warm sun, a piece of cake putting a tarp on the ground, using interlux stripper and it pretty much just slides off with a scraper. Roll up tarp, no mess, then paint with the best, VC Offshore, won't build up as it is water thin and you can paint it every other year no problem (I have gone as long as every 3rd year as a successful experiment but every other year is best), save fuel as it offers the least drag of all bottom paints and when fish bump the boat you won't be filleting poison like when they bump a boat painted with ablative paint.

Or make a phone and pay the piper, the price difference will be quite significant (too high to post) for such a low skill job. Strip it yourself on a Saturday afternoon and save your money for fishing and safety gear, money better spent.

Local Motion

This post edited by Fishbust 05:45 AM 11/29/2012

SORTIE

posted 11/29/2012 07:42 AM  

FB you've sold me on the VC Offshore but there's no way I'm going to get under my boat and scrape off 8 layers of nasty poisonous goop when I can pay $500 to a blaster

I don't care how much baking soda he uses for the job - I just want that old paint GONE

I myself will apply the barrier-coat (3x) and VC Offshore myself to ensure proper coverage

FB, how does VCO react to contact with trailer bunks several times per season?

NRA LIFETIME MEMBER

Sortino OUT

Restoman

posted 11/29/2012 08:28 AM  

Sortie, You may wish to look into Sea Hawk "Tuff Stuff" epoxy barrier coating. It only requires two coats and is a superior product. However you must tell your soda guy to put a heavy tooth on the bottom. This might take him a little more time. Then top coat it with the VC or Sea Hawk also has a great hard ablative.

If I can be of any help just let me know.. Good luck on your project

MOBILE MEDIA BLASTING

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.