Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

The Fall Bass Run

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
LeoDA

posted 08/16/2007 04:33 PM  

The Fall Bass Run

A question I hear asked frequently is, When does the fall bass run begin?
My log book (26 years worth) is the easiest way for me to decide, but there are definite signals all around. I’m wondering what you guys look for in fall. I’ll give you my take,(if there's anything I can add) but would like to hear from you all first. There’s always something to learn!

Musella

posted 08/16/2007 04:41 PM  

Seems like it starts the day my kids go back to school and no longer have time to go out fishing with meSmile

stpaul7
BIG DOG WINNER

posted 08/16/2007 06:50 PM  

Usually Oct kicks it off for me

The colder it gets the better the fishing gets. Once the bait leaves all hell breaks loose in the bay up till Thanksgiving then it's all out side and the Herring show up. Man I can hear it now Pablo On!!!

BOAT FISH COUNT  MAMA MIA FISHING

Ed The Red

posted 08/16/2007 09:13 PM  

Mullet run.(Although it is sometimes a trickle.) So that is around the third week in September on average from my logs.

I'd rather be fishing!

LeoDA

posted 08/16/2007 09:39 PM  

Ed The Red wrote:

Mullet run.(Although it is sometimes a trickle.) So that is around the third week in September on average from my logs.

Not only a trickle, sometimes their gone in a matter of days, but you can usually see them start to mass into bigger schools as the days drag on, till one day if you're not careful their gone.Toungue

gummyboy

posted 08/16/2007 10:18 PM  

I think the fall run starts when we get are first real noreaster with a 30 plus mph wind and a heavy cold rain.

JACKSON

posted 08/16/2007 10:31 PM  

usually around the first full moon in OCT for me.

tonyzfishin

posted 08/17/2007 01:08 AM  

i usually start to get excited when the first cold fronts of september start to move through making for some real cool evenings....SmileSmileSmile

chixscratch03

posted 08/17/2007 11:58 AM  

Usually starts for me somewhere around the 3rd week in September. Bluefish start schooling up real well in the evenings and then get some bass after dark. It's in full swing for me by 1st week of October.

Note I am fishing north shore.

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 08/17/2007 01:54 PM  

good question there Leo..

I think the traditional view of when the fall run begins is that it coincides with the mullet leaving the bay, which is usually preceded by the first good easterly blow in September. There are a myriad of other factors that contribute, but the mullet exodus seems to be the barometer for the beginning of the fall run.

My view of the fall run is that there are several fall runs, with the beginning of each revolving around a specific bait groups migration. The bass move around a lot in the fall. Each time a specific bait hits the beach, the action ramps up. The bass will also key in on the staging areas in the bay, then set up in the inlet to intercept them when they start moving, and then following them down the beach. Each cycle repeating itself. Mullet, peanuts, rainbait, groundfish all leaving, flounder and herring coming. Back and forth they go, place your bets, spin the wheel, everybody's a winner surpriseSmile.

When does each group migrate? I think each bait group has it's own set of conditions that trigger the migration response. The obvious conditions are water temp, water quality (too many storms can trigger early migration), length of daylight, and moon phase. I'm sure there are others. Mullet seem to be the least tolerant of change, and the first to depart our waters, hence they mark the traditional beginning of the fall run. -Rich

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

LeoDA

posted 08/17/2007 03:05 PM  

Great response Rich!

You mention the amount of daylight as a triggering factor. Not many people believe that comes into play. I'm on the fence. With the mullet run, I can predict within a day or two as to when I'll see them massing, and the only consistent variable in my log book is the amount of sunlight available at that time of the year. It doesn’t matter if the weather has been hot or cold. Those baitfish are there every year, no matter what. A wrong storm can send them packing very easily though as Rich states, and ruin the run for the year.

Also the arrival of Squid is important.

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 08/17/2007 03:58 PM  

maybe I should clarify....

Now that I re-read my last paragraph, it is a little vague about the relationship of conditions to migration. What I meant to state is some of the more obvious conditions. Not that all species will relate to all the of those conditions. In most cases it's usually only one or two.

For example some white bait may migrate based solely on moon phase and length of day. I know that is what spearing breed by, so they are conscious of it on some level. Peanut migration might be solely based on the collapse, or die off of the micro-organisms that they feed on, which was triggered by a drop in water temp below the organisms mortality threshold. I didn't mean that all species relate to all of those and more, just certain species relate to certain sub-sets of conditions.

By the way Leo, pm with the date of this years mullet run, meager though it's been the recent years WinkWinkWinkWinkWink - Rich

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

This post edited by RichTrox 03:59 PM 08/17/2007

Matzy

posted 08/17/2007 04:50 PM  

starts

when all the moms/wives start the moaning and groaning....ToungueToungueToungue

SurfaceStrike

posted 08/17/2007 05:13 PM  

Fall Run Trigger

Usually it is the day before or after I've been there. At least that is what everyone on the beach tells me. Wink

That is why God gave them tails Wink

ZenoH

posted 08/17/2007 07:00 PM  

way before most people think
Late august/early September big weakfish try to sneak out the inlets without nobody noticing............then the morning get a little cooler in early September and those who put time in at dawn start to hook up with consistency.They'll do it for awhile before mullet (hopefully)brings a big body of fish into the surf

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.