Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Elfin Cove, AK/Tanaku Lodge - July 5 -15, 2013

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
schoolman

posted 07/20/2013 11:17 AM  

I returned during this mid-week from my annual trip to Elfin Cove, Alaska. It was my 14th stay @ the magnificent Tanaku Fishing Lodge in Elfin Cove, Alaska. Since I've been so busy with domestic chores & responsibilities, I have not had the time to post the usual report in the noreast.com Discussion Board until now. Sooooooo .... here are some highlights, with much more to come:

* The lodge record for the largest halibut ever, since Dennis Meier & Jim Benton have owned the lodge (19 years), was broken twice within 2 days. A 354 lber. topped a 347 lber. which topped the previous record of 340, which was captured 3 years ago.

*I'll be posting more details as I continue collecting data & stats from my "Trip of a Lifetime x 14" adventure. (I know - Hate Me!) And certainly look for more pix every day throughout this year - I have 1000s.

* Last season, salmon fishing in Elfin Cove & other areas was on the slow side. We caught very few fish , only a handful of small cohos & pinks. It was most definitely an OFF period. This year, during one of our Chinook trips, we (3 of us)limited out within the 1st 10 mins. and then proceeded to release a dozen other kings up to 30 lbs. - all on jigs and light jigging outfits. What fun it was!! I almost forgot! Gary Gillen, from Smithtown, NY, captured the largest Chinook salmon to date @ 36+ lbs.

*Deep water short raker rockfishing was, IMHO, Outrageous, especially since I caught a 32 lber. which was the largest of the week. But it was only the 3rd largest this year at Tanaku, since 38 and 40+ lbers. were captured earlier - with the latter being a World Record (pending). Unfortunately for me, I could not convince my boatmates to fish in the required 700 ft. depths for more than one hour of only one day. Personally, I love the challenge of tangling with these finny creatures from the abyss. Tile fishermen would understand this.

*On the same day of the lodge record hali, Capt. Gary & deckhand Robert also managed to find a 259 lb. halibut, as well as a 292 (as well as the 354). (See the mind boggling pic.) Oh, also, Capt. Joe's vessel managed to bring a 301 lber. to the dock that day. Joe's "Ocean Rogue" also got the 347 previously.

*As a photographer, I got my Kodak Moment image involving a breaching whale that I've been waiting a long, long time for. This time I was in the right place at the right time .... FINALLY!! Smile Smile YIPEE!! There is a god!

*My largest hali of the week was approx. 130 lbs. & it measured 64 inches. It was too small due to the Inside Water regs and was consequently released. Most days we fished outside where two of those sized fish could have been kept. (Weather prevented us from fishing the ocean on that particular day.) All of us caught sizeable bardoors over or just under 100 lbs. on this day and others.

*Whale watching was at astronomical proportions at times. On one particular day, I could have easily stuck my hand in a humpback's blowhole if I had chosen to do so. It was outrageous! On that same day, a frisky sea lion weighing about 500 lbs. decided that our vessel would make a nice little home for herself and she decided to attempt to visit our cockpit, not once but twice. It was outright SCARY/HYSTERICALLY FUNNY, and, fortunately, we were able to detour her plans!

*Off hand, I don't know the exact # of 200 lb. halibut that were boated during my ten day stay, but I think 5 or 6 is a fair estimate. At the end of the day to watch these behemoths being lifted off the boats (There are 5 Tanaku vessels) is a phenomenal sight to witness. Fuggetaboutit regarding the am't of 100 lb. class fish that were caught. They are actually "too common"! lol

*The usual bycatch consisted of lots of ling cod, black bass, quillbacks, tiger rocks, Pacific cod, black cod, sculpins, octopus (my boat caught 2, one released and another 20+ lber used for bait) and cohos, pinks & chums. Lest not forget those ageless & delicious yellow eyes that were also taken. (I saw at least 5 at the Tanaku dock.)

Overall, this year's adventure on a 1 - 10 scale I would rate a 9. Five days out of ten were real sunny, which is excellent by AK weather standards. I deducted 1 point because there were 2 days that were absolutely crap weather days.

As soon as I can collect more data, I'll be posting more info & stats regarding my "Trip of a Lifetime x 14" adventure. Certainly there will be many, many more pix posted throughout this year & next.

If any of you would like more info, I'd suggest you send me a PM. I'll gladly tell you what I can.

Wishing TIGHT LINES to All!

Smile Jerry McGrath Smile <Smile)))))>< Smile

Capt. Jerry - SPORTFISHING ON LONG ISLAND Instructional Classes
sportfishingadventures

This post edited by schoolman 03:56 PM 07/20/2013

schoolman

posted 07/20/2013 11:35 AM  

More pix from my 10 day stay

sportfishingadventures

schoolman

posted 07/20/2013 11:41 AM  

:-) <:))))))>< :-)

sportfishingadventures

schoolman

posted 07/20/2013 11:56 AM  

<:))))))>< <:))))))>< <:))))))>< <:))))))>< <:))))))>< <:))))))>< <:))))))><

sportfishingadventures

Big Cee

posted 07/20/2013 12:49 PM  

Incredible pics! upupup

stpaul7
BIG DOG WINNER

posted 07/20/2013 01:05 PM  

Always amazing the pictures I see from up there 1 day I will make the trip Smile

BOAT FISH COUNT  MAMA MIA FISHING

sundancer

posted 07/20/2013 05:11 PM  

amazing as ever jerry oh boy am i jelous. amazing to say the least/. cant wait to see your photo s best ken.

schoolman

posted 07/20/2013 08:53 PM  

sportfishingadventures

snivler

posted 07/21/2013 07:04 AM  

Amazing

thanks so much for your wonderous report .... like a dream come true !

Awesome !

surfphisher

posted 07/21/2013 09:55 AM  

That looks like a trip of a lifetime! I'd love to do it one day. Thanks for sharing those incredible pics!

schoolman

posted 07/21/2013 10:36 AM  

Bucket List/Trip of a Lifetime Adventure

I have brought 100s of people with me, many from the northeast - NY, NJ, CT, up to Tanaku Lodge over the years. All have been exuberant about the on-the-spot service, the fantastic food, the most comfortable accommodations, the magnificent surroundings with unbelievable wildlife, and the outrageous fishing/catching. I can show you ways of saving some money if a budget is an serious issue with you. Send me a PM and we can talk about this "Must Trip" for all anglers.

upSmileup

sportfishingadventures

schoolman

posted 07/23/2013 01:24 AM  

sportfishingadventures

schoolman

posted 07/26/2013 08:02 AM  

More Pix from Fishing Paradise

sportfishingadventures

schoolman

posted 07/28/2013 04:15 PM  

:) <:))))))>< :-) <:))))))>< :-) <:))))))>< :-) <:))))))>< :-) <:))))))>< :-) <:))))))>< :-)

Btw, in the pic below, fyi & a perspective, "Steady Steve" is easily 6' 4" tall. up Wink

sportfishingadventures

This post edited by schoolman 04:39 PM 07/28/2013

DarthBaiter

posted 07/28/2013 05:07 PM  

"We gonna need a bigger... wheelbarrow."

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.