Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Opinions on the best 225 outboard.

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
collectorboy

posted 09/20/2007 12:05 PM  

Need to put a new outboard on the old Grady. Would love personal opinions on new outboards. I think my 22' was rated for 225 hp max. but the weight of motors are different now then they were in 1982.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

you wouldnt believe whats out there if you open your eyes.

leakyrivot

posted 09/20/2007 03:55 PM  

This is gonna start another 2-stroke vs 4-stroke debate, however do to weight constraints I think you are going to be confined to 2-strokes no matter what if you want to install the rated HP on that boat (which will get you the best economy and performance).

I've got Opti 150's and love them. The 225's are a very popular model and may be your best bet by the spec's alone.

I'd also check out the E-Tec's. Pretty much all the new outboards are great, you can't go too far wrong provided you power the boat correctly.

Jon

"Kids, don't try this at home."

baywatch

posted 09/20/2007 04:23 PM  

First check out the transom for rot, then go from there. Some of Grady's are notorius for bad transom's

STRIKERTHREE

posted 09/20/2007 05:01 PM  

Its hard to beat the 225hp Mercury Optimax that would be my first choice 2nd would be Yamaha

Proud to be Union U.W.U.A 1-2

American by Birth Union By Choice!

Skilled Labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled !!

Mad Mahi

posted 09/20/2007 05:07 PM  

leakyrivot wrote:

This is gonna start another 2-stroke vs 4-stroke debate, however do to weight constraints I think you are going to be confined to 2-strokes no matter what if you want to install the rated HP on that boat (which will get you the best economy and performance).

I've got Opti 150's and love them. The 225's are a very popular model and may be your best bet by the spec's alone.

I'd also check out the E-Tec's. Pretty much all the new outboards are great, you can't go too far wrong provided you power the boat correctly.

Jon

Baywatch wrote:

First check out the transom for rot, then go from there. Some of Grady's are notorius for bad transom's

Should not be a debate at all this time!

If the transom checks out as good, go with a 2 stroke because of the weight issue.

Best bet would be the Optimax since it is going to be less ca$h and probably less trouble. The E-Tecs, having been out for a while now, seem to have few kinks to get straightened out.

I believe in Schneider's Law...it's simpler than Murphy's Law. Schneider thought that Murphy was an OPTIMIST!

gvisko1

posted 09/20/2007 07:34 PM  

225 e-tec is the best

George Viskovich

blueoceangroup

posted 09/20/2007 07:54 PM  

STRIKERTHREE wrote:

Its hard to beat the 225hp Mercury Optimax that would be my first choice 2nd would be Yamaha

upup

You should be able to pick up a single Merc or Yami at one of the boat shows for a reasonable price with an extended warranty.

Blue Ocean Group
PH:631 239-6960
FX:631 239-6963
www.yourblueocean.com
[email protected]

This post edited by blueoceangroup 08:07 PM 09/20/2007

collectorboy

posted 09/20/2007 10:07 PM  

I hopping the transom is fine. My dad and I are the original owners on the boat. I didnt realise there was a huge issue on weight. Ill have to do more research. Thanks for the opinions so far

you wouldnt believe whats out there if you open your eyes.

baywatch

posted 09/21/2007 08:45 AM  

collectorboy wrote:

I hopping the transom is fine.

A lot of peole said the same thing until the engine came off exposing the old bolt holes from the previous engine. Then when looked at they saw the rotting wood in the transom.

There have been a few discussions about them here and the rapairs that went along with it.

There is also another site called greatgrady.com and it is for Grady owners and problems occured with there boats, might be worth dong a search for that site also and ask some questions there.

I am not knocking the boat by anymeans but just trying to give you a heads up before buying a engine that could lead into 5 didgit numbers.

rjaws

posted 09/21/2007 09:41 AM  

My brother has a grady and had trouble with transom rot. Grady ended up paying for half of the cost for putting a new transom on it. It was a $2,000 job. Also had some small cracks around the chines that he had to have fixed. It is an older boat and grady still backed it up.

devontie

posted 09/21/2007 12:10 PM  

I agree that they are all good these days, but I love my Suzuki 225.

Fishbust

posted 09/21/2007 05:01 PM  

MERC...

is the answer. Ocean Outboard is the place to get them.

The Grady's seem to have a great reputation but at the same time lots of transom and deck rot problems, cracks all over. Sort of a confliction. I would look for a replacement boat before I had a transom rebuilt, not likely worth the money to have it done. I have read threads where people bought Grady's assuming they are the best boats (they are not) and didn't have it surveyed...hung new motors and they fell off into the water. That just $ucks. It is so important to start with and make sure you have a good solid hull to build around when restoring/repowering.

Local Motion

This post edited by Fishbust 05:08 PM 09/21/2007

STRIKERTHREE

posted 09/21/2007 05:39 PM  

I would have to recommend Gene @ Burnetts in Bay shore for mercury he beat all the other prices when i repowered and is as honest guy as you would want to deal with

Proud to be Union U.W.U.A 1-2

American by Birth Union By Choice!

Skilled Labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled !!

BLUEFISH9

posted 09/22/2007 07:37 AM  

Mad Mahi wrote:

leakyrivot wrote:

Jon

Baywatch wrote:

Should not be a debate at all this time!

If the transom checks out as good, go with a 2 stroke because of the weight issue.

Best bet would be the Optimax since it is going to be less ca$h and probably less trouble. The E-Tecs, having been out for a while now, seem to have few kinks to get straightened out.

It wouldnt be a debate so long as people stick to facts and not rumors...but im wondering what KINKS you are refering to with the E-tec???? Those engines are amazing!

wsh2fsh

posted 09/23/2007 06:28 AM  

If you check out any law enforcement vessel,
they all run Honda's. They are great engines.

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.