Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Wet Ride....

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
getsome2

posted 01/25/2011 03:55 PM  

Hey guys. I am going into my 4th year with an 18ft Angler CC with a 90hp merc optimax. The boat is fine for the money I spent and has taken the abuse that a first time boat owner fishing Moriches and Shinny bay dishes out. My only complaint is that it is a wet ride. It is time for a new prop and I was told that certain props will assist in keeping the bow up while underway. Has anyone had any experience with the various prop designs? Also has anyone found any other ways to keep the bow up while still maintaining a reasonable speed? Thanks for the help!

Sean,

Nikoli

posted 01/25/2011 04:14 PM  

I have a 17 foot key west that has the same issue. If possible running on the quarter beam will keep you drier. If you have to run head in, then slow with the bow high is your only option for staying dry. I try and tack my boat in sloppy conditions. By Running faster on the quarter then running head in slow and high).
Also, finding routes on the way in and out that are in the lee depending on the wind direction will help. That's a lot easier to do on the North Shore than the South though.
I don't think a prop will make much of a difference in sloppy conditions since once you plane your going to get wet.

http://www.peconicanglers.org

You got city hands, Mr. Hooper. You've been counting money all your life.

This post edited by Nikoli 04:16 PM 01/25/2011

Anotherdan

posted 01/25/2011 05:12 PM  

hey Sean,

I had the same boat with a 90 johnson, but mine was a very dry ride... the prop i had was just a cheap solas aluminum
13 1/4 X 19. the boat performed great with it so i never experimented with different wheels. i do believe adding some cupping will give you some bow lift. Ether lawrence johnson in freeport or bossler and sweezy in patchauge could do that for you.

Goodluck!

Dan

physty

posted 01/25/2011 07:07 PM  

Prop size???

The prop is set to the horsepower/boat.The size of the prop will control the top RPM of the engine,too small a prop and you will overrev the engine,too large a prop and you will overload the motor.The correct prop lets you get to the engine's mfg.top rpm range without going over under normal conditions.
You may try trim tabs,also a spray rail(wooden moulding is an inexpensive fix)may help.
Good luck,Physty

Anotherdan

posted 01/26/2011 12:34 PM  

Its not just prop size,, the style of prop, cupping, rake, alot of factors change performance. A 'Raked' prop is known for being A bow lifting prop.

As far as prop size goes, you can experiment with sizes, so long as you stay in the recommended operating range. The boat came with a 13.25x17 pushing about 5800rpms full throttle, moved to a 13.25x19 with cupping put it down around 5400rpms. The change made the boat handle better, and move faster, with the 17p anything after 4800rpms the boat didnt go any faster. when i went to the 19p the top speed went up like 5-7mph, and gave me full range of throttle.

Hey sean check out the bottom of this website, it shows different props and what they are meant to do!

http://www.rubexprops.com/

DCBASSIN

posted 01/28/2011 06:40 AM  

try playing with trimming the motor up that will lift the bow a little and help with the spray.

buy american,buy union, union member and proud of it

bigfished

posted 01/31/2011 12:45 PM  

I have a 19' Key West cc kept on the NS. I found that by adding trim tabs ( which I think all cc's under 23' need )and a double height windshield ( the standard height ones suck!) a good amount of spray is reduced, and that which blows back at least stays off of me!

I think adding tabs will do more to reduce spray than changing prop and I also think that it is impossible to elimate all spray unless you fish on only "bluebird" days. I mean the boat is only 18'.

Note spray on windscreen that would have been on me!

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm...Winston Churchill
BK. N. narco...All sales final!!

BoatGuy

posted 02/04/2011 04:39 AM  

I am not sure how much a prop would help, unless it would allow different trimming angles. One thing I did see, but might be tough on a 17 foot like yours and mine is a side plexiglass shield.

Attached are two pics. One of them is the shield closed and out of the way, the other open. If you find someone to make this, let me know.

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 02/04/2011 07:27 AM  

BoatGuy wrote:

I am not sure how much a prop would help, unless it would allow different trimming angles. One thing I did see, but might be tough on a 17 foot like yours and mine is a side plexiglass shield.

Attached are two pics. One of them is the shield closed and out of the way, the other open. If you find someone to make this, let me know.

I've done a lot of work on my boat with Lexan, and that fold out shirld looks like it would be downright easy to make.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

physty

posted 02/04/2011 09:09 AM  

spray

The Lexan looks nice but your fixing the effect,fix the cause,try a spray rail,as stated before-tabs,adjust the trim. Physty

Fishbust

posted 02/04/2011 07:24 PM  

Het those plexi/lexan wings are a great idea! I have seen boats with clear canvas wings but not hard wings. That must help out a great deal with spray and when the woind has a cold bite to it.

Local Motion

wsh2fsh

posted 02/04/2011 09:42 PM  

Wet ride

Try a hydrofoil.
Inexpensive and can make a huge difference in ride and trimming efforts.

BoatGuy

posted 02/05/2011 06:04 AM  

MakoMike wrote:

[quote=BoatGuy]I've done a lot of work on my boat with Lexan, and that fold out shirld looks like it would be downright easy to make.

We should talk Wink

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 02/05/2011 10:04 AM  

BoatGuy wrote:

MakoMike wrote:

[quote=BoatGuy]I've done a lot of work on my boat with Lexan, and that fold out shirld looks like it would be downright easy to make.

We should talk Wink

Sure send me a PM. To give you an idea go to my website and look at the pictures of my boat. The entire wheel house is made our of Lexan, except for the rear drop curtain.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

STRIKERTHREE

posted 02/05/2011 03:10 PM  

Invest in the Dol-fin for the motor it will help you keep your bow up and the spray out up

Proud to be Union U.W.U.A 1-2

American by Birth Union By Choice!

Skilled Labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled !!

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.