Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Honda Outboards - Any personal experience ?

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
cometport

posted 03/24/2010 12:58 AM  

On a Mako, the options include Honda or Suzuki.

Any comments on Honda from personal experience ?

Dantilu

posted 03/24/2010 11:51 AM  

Not mine but a friends, he hard core fished tuna with this thing! I see him 35 miles from shore, and I always ask him about that engine..... He trust it with his life!!

Say  "Dan-T-Lu"

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

This post edited by Dantilu 01:19 PM 03/24/2010

JohnnyKapalua

posted 03/24/2010 12:34 PM  

I've only experienced Honda for 2 years with what I have now. 2006 is the last year they used carburetors. I have the 2006 90HP. It only has 80 hrs. It's absolutely great on gas. Only problem is it suffers from the 1500-2000 RPM bog down when quickly going to WOT. This forces a feathering of the throttle. I'll be trying a less pitched prop hoping to correct it. Newer Hondas now have F.I. so they shouldn't bog down. I suspect your talking new so you would get the F.I. I've heard they run very efficiently as do the other brands. Other boaters with Hondas comment to me they like their engines. There are 6 Honda dealers on L.I. 3 are Package Dealers, 3 are Full Line dealers. All are authorized Honda service shops. Package/sells engines attached to boats not engines separately. Tried dealing with two of the dealers already on simple matters and they were both bad and I didn't and will not use them in future.
Personally I'd much prefer an Evinrude E-Tec but the boat I bought came with the Honda. E's are lighter in weight and I had Evinrude for 25 years.
You might do better buying the boat and going to an Evinrude dealer to install. I've also found whomever is selling a boat might still install another engine they don't advertise.

This post edited by JohnnyKapalua 12:46 PM 03/24/2010

bullzi99

posted 03/24/2010 01:11 PM  

I ran a 50 horse Honda for several years. It was not injected, it was a carburetor model. Quiet, fuel efficient, and it trolled great. Absolutely bullet proof.

My new boat came packaged with a Yamaha 115 four stroke. Really can't say anything bad about that motor, either.

I have friends who love their Suzukis.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

bobfish

posted 03/24/2010 01:42 PM  

I have noticed that a lot of clammers on the north shore are using Hondas and from the ones I've spoken to they are very fuel efficient and reliable. I like the 135HP or 150HP for a possible repower.
My 140 evinrude 2 stroke is still going strong but is a gas guzzler and it would be nice not to have that cloud of blue smoke on start-up.
Bob

cometport

posted 03/24/2010 07:16 PM  

I was hoping for some rave reviews. Mako used to prerig for Yamaha
but not anymore. I was hoping Honda was as good as Yamaha. Wishful
thinking it looks like.

southshore30

posted 03/24/2010 09:41 PM  

Bought a 23' Crowley last year with a 135 Honda (2005 inline 4) with 450 hours. Put another 500 hours on it over the summer and fall tuna fishing. Long hours trolling and on the drift/anchor. On Platts (42 miles) a couple of times. In the south channel several times in November (30-35 miles). Smooth, quiet, very fuel efficient. Started and ran flawlessly every time. I followed the maintenance schedule, used Honda oil and filters, and ran it reasonably (3200rpm-4200rpm out of 5500rpm depending upon load). Would not hesitate to purchase another Honda. Actually, would be my first choice, even given my limited experience.

My boat yard is obsessed with Yams. A couple on lobster skiffs in the harbor. One was doing OK but the 115hp on the novi was having trouble last summer. And the new blue e-tec (another boat yard obsession) now has a white lower unit.

Ran a 32 Wellcrap with twin 225 Yams in December. One started OK, the other didn't. Not as smooth and quiet as the Honda. Really can't make any other comparisons.

Everyone has their favorite and success story. It really depends on how you run it and take care of it. I liked the inline 4 of the 135/150 Honda and how it ran for me.

My .02

stpaul7
BIG DOG WINNER

posted 03/24/2010 10:49 PM  

twin Hondas 200's on my boat 2007 with 800 hours on them no problems other than filters and water pumps but thats to be expecpted. I chose Hondas because of the gas milage at close to 4 dollars per gallon I want the best gas milage you can get.

Plus the Police boat ran them and they told me you can't beat them HONDAS we wore out the lower units but they just keep on going. Held up better than the Mecury Verado according to the Moriches Bay Police boat. In use 24 hours a day 7 days a week....

Verado are quieter than Hondas but you can't beat them Smile

Do a search for problems with Hondas Marine engines and do a search for Mecury Verado's and Suzuki see what turns up...

Looks like Honda is the best out of those three Wink

BOAT FISH COUNT  MAMA MIA FISHING

This post edited by stpaul7 10:52 PM 03/24/2010

clementine

posted 03/25/2010 01:14 AM  

I have had experience with Suzuki's and Honda's and I would have to say the Suzuki is a superior engine. From what I've experienced the Suzuki is quieter, more efficient, and more powerful than the honda. Of course the engines were on different boats in different situations but I still feel the Suzuki was an all around better performing engine. We've been running twin 250 suzukis for the last year and a half and have about 600 hours on them without a problem. These engines have been running hard 5500 rpm on extended canyon trips and they don't stop ticking. I have seen a lot of privateer's with suzukis set up for pinhooking/ commercial fishing, these boats get worked hard That said they are both very good engines.

Sam
"You can't fix stupid."

wsh2fsh

posted 03/25/2010 07:41 AM  

Honda

Been running a BF225 on my Grady for 6 years. Flawless. I am at 600 hrs. I have not owned a Suzuki, but always understood them to be excellent too. You can't beat the Japs!

cometport

posted 03/25/2010 07:30 PM  

I recently read that Suzukis and Johnsons are identical, but I
am skeptical about that claim. If I do get a Mako, I will probably go
with a 200hp Honda on their 215 express.

That is, if they resume production of the 215. Mako is offering
only CC's at the moment, no WA's.

blacktide

posted 03/26/2010 06:58 PM  

Honda 225 hp 2300 + hours. Only routine maintenance!

Captbill14

posted 03/26/2010 07:54 PM  

I have twin 200 2007 hondas at least twice a year I have to have the sensors replaced . Other than that no complaints.

JACKSON

posted 03/26/2010 07:56 PM  

I used to run a 200hp with over 3000 hrs. No major problems.
I know a local bait guy pushing 4k hours still running strong.

mmcpeck

posted 03/28/2010 03:55 PM  

cometport wrote:

I recently read that Suzukis and Johnsons are identical, but I
am skeptical about that claim. If I do get a Mako, I will probably go
with a 200hp Honda on their 215 express.

That is, if they resume production of the 215. Mako is offering
only CC's at the moment, no WA's.

They were only identical for a short time. When BRP decided to turn the Johnson brand into a 4 stroke line of engines, they had a deal with Suzuki and just put the Johnson name sticker on Suzuki 4 stroke engines. They did that because they had completely re-tooled their factories to produce E-tec DI engines, and didn't want to invest in creating a whole other factory for 4 strokes. That's why they are more commonly refered to as Johnzuki's

That was only for a little while and then they discontinued Johnson branded engines altogether, and no Johnson's are sold at all anymore, though they still own the name. BRP decided if they were going to be the front runner in DI outboard technology, with the E-tec, and show it as a direct competitor, and superior, to 4 stroke technology, that they probably shouldn't be marketing a 4 stroke line of engines too.

That's happened with other brands before as well.

Force used to be made by Merc, after Chrysler sold them off. So for a while a Force was just a Merc with a Force sticker on it.

Merc also did it at one point their line of naturally aspirated 4 strokes, they were just Yamaha 4 strokes with a Merc sticker on them. They discontinued that when they came out with the Verado, which I can't believe they still make or that anybody buys them.

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.